1. 1. Would that be dope?

• yay
    • nay
  2. 2. What's the best way to do it?

• Commission one artist
    • Collaberation between many artists on the forums
    • Collage of existing character images
    • Pay for a spot/draw your own/use existing character image

I was thinking about this, and I had seen it done on another forum I used to frequent. Basically, it's just a huge drawing of a bunch of the forum's frequent posters and big personalities, all smushed into the frame and being rowdy with one-another like a bunch of unruly kids trying to sit still for a class photo. I know it's a lot of work to draw that many characters, but I just thought it would be a cute idea to toss out there in case anybody falls in love with it.

Edited by MuttButt
  • Like 4

Have had experience commissioning a large group portrait. It gets expensive (which is fair, given the work involved). The bigger problem is that a lot of artists shy away from it due to the time commitment, which often cuts into their personal time or other commission sale opportunities (for works that are a lot less effort).

Sounds cool, but I'm not sure who would be up to taking on such a task. Maybe if it was a collaboration.

But how do we decide who counts as regular and who gets to be in it or not? I know I definitely should be in it! :V

We could vote in some fixed number of people, or maybe make a thread where everybody posts that wants to be in the drawing, and we go by number of likes on the post. People would also be allowed to make nominations.

Sounds like a gigantic popularity contest. Still voted yea, though :P

What if, instead, everyone who wants to be in it submits a picture of their fursona to include? It would have to meet certain standards, like being a .png with a transparent background. Then, some designated person *cough*MuttButt*cough* would compose the completed image out of them. It could even be easily update-able, if done properly! All the real difficult work would be outsourced to the individual contributors. Probably would end up kind of an ugly miss-mash, though.

Edited by DrGravitas
Spelling
  • Like 1

Sounds like a gigantic popularity contest. Still voted yea, though :P

What if, instead, everyone who wants to be in it submits a picture of their fursona to include? It would have to meet certain standards, like being a .png with a transparent background. Then, some designated person *cough*MuttButt*cough* would compose the completed image out of them. It could even be easily update-able, if done properly! All the real difficult work would be outsourced to the individual contributors. Probably would end up kind of an ugly miss-mash, though.

So more like a collage? That would still be pretty fun. I'd do it, but I don't think you'd want me to, I suck massive, furry balls at all kinds of art and photo editing. 

I remember we had one of these on the old Furaffinity Forum for the regular comic thread posters that Maugryph made.

aFRLjKl.png

From left to right it was.. Croconawd*cough*Toshabi*cough*, Block Fox, Myself, Jayke, Skybound Terror, Mr. Sparta, Mcjoel, RedSavage, Shadowjaeger, Tailmon1, UrsusArtist, Gnarl, Ayattar, Maugryph, FenrirDarkWolf, JTrekkie, Sarcastic Coffeecup, Mentova, Funky3000, and Chuchi.

Jesus lol. Can't believe I was able to remember everyone's user name. Some are still around. Others have moved on. I think an updated forum regular image would be cool idea though.

• Like 4

I remember we had one of these on the old Furaffinity Forum for the regular comic thread posters that Maugryph made.

aFRLjKl.png

From left to right it was.. Croconawd*cough*Toshabi*cough*, Block Fox, Myself, Jayke, Skybound Terror, Mr. Sparta, Mcjoel, RedSavage, Shadowjaeger, Tailmon1, UrsusArtist, Gnarl, Ayattar, Maugryph, FenrirDarkWolf, JTrekkie, Sarcastic Coffeecup, Mentova, Funky3000, and Chuchi.

Jesus lol. Can't believe I was able to remember everyone's user name. Some are still around. Others have moved on. I think an updated forum regular image would be cool idea though.

Ah, I remember that, I still recognise everyone.  I was mostly a lurker around that time.  Also, I don't think I've seen Funky3000 here yet, he needs to get his macro butt over here.

• Like 1

It would be awesome for sure, as all giant pieces like that are, but of course the dilemma is who on the forum would draw such a thing as it would probably not be a commissioned work. It sounds like a huge charity project. Some one would have to be super in love with everyone, or desperately want fake internet points.

• Like 1

It would be awesome for sure, as all giant pieces like that are, but of course the dilemma is who on the forum would draw such a thing as it would probably not be a commissioned work. It sounds like a huge charity project. Some one would have to be super in love with everyone, or desperately want fake internet points.

I'm a slut for fake Internet points, but I can't draw.

• Like 1

Somebody suggested donating to the person drawing, or for it to be a collaborative work. Either/both of these suggestions would be great imo.

Set some guides or a template and just assemble from there.

What about something like a "Draw Yourself" kind of thing.

Someone can create the template, and with the .PNG suggestion from DrGravitas, we can easily just shove people in place. That way everyone's image will be personalized in their own style...

Or something....I don't know...
Burgerpants2.thumb.png.cf189fb8cf3f20cd4

There was a Smash Bros collab project I participated in once (but the person running it never actually fucking finished adding the characters), and I think it would be best / easiest if everyone who wanted to participate were allowed to submit their own art of their own character.
Those who cannot draw could maybe request something in the requests forum?

But leave it open to anyone who wants to participate. Give people enough of a deadline to submit themselves (usually 1 - 2 months is the time allowment for this sort of thing).
And then just put those together.

That way, it saves someone from having to undertake all that drawing work, themself,
and it also doesn't amount to a circlejerk.

I'm prettty good at throwing images together in PS. I could organize that, if people want me to.

Edited by Vae
  • Like 3

but what if we have no style

Lie down, cry, and wait for your Mama to bring you some. :v

...hire someone who does! 

Hiring sounds like a cool idea. And yes, a project like this should be having effort spread as much as possible. Especially if people want their face on it.

Edited by Vaer

Better yet, on the note of people who cannot draw, we could have a section in the project thread specifically listing people who want drawn, if anyone wants to be generous.

That's never gonna happen. I mean I like the idea and would love to see it come to fruition, but it's inherently circlejerky.

Yeah.
But exponentially less so, if the only thing that stops you from participating are deadlines and not wanting to pick up a pen and paper.

Edited by Vae
  • Like 2

I like this too, how about a "pay to play" arrangement? Where there's a commitment from an artist to draw it with a fixed cost per character (say $20 or so) and a fixed registration time. anybody who wants in can pay for their character to be added and when registration closes all the money is collected and sent to the artist who previously agreed to the commission. Could be pretty profitable for them and doesn't need to be super detailed. 

Screw that actually. I want in and I want it in the highest quality. For free. Arranged by someone else. I'm entitled to it because I posted here at some time in the past. Don't oppress me with your "regular poster" privilege. You bunch of elitists. :V

Edited by Nordo
  • Like 1

Perhaps on a website that allows group drawing? I forgot the names of a few of them, but anyone can come in and doodle their fursona or doodle other's fursona's for those who are a little more artistically challenged?

As far as collaboration goes I think this is a good idea along with the collage, it may take a bit more work than collaging, though, but it'll allow for a bit more interaction among members and more style change.

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

As far as the circle-jerk-ness of it...couldn't we dub people based on actual criteria (including old forum criteria) Post count would include new members that have a lot of presence as of late, and years on the forum would count as regular presence despite post count.

Also, If it helps I (or someone else, but I'd be willing) to arrange a list based on those criteria, I actually am quite familiar with tons of forum members and would be able to group them in as 'regulars', and if not I'd still be willing to list newbies on the forum on there too (Phausk, Chrysocyon, and Astrium are examples of people who hadn't been around very long but I actually see enough of their posts or presence to know them)

I'd do this because A) I like lists and B) I'm a stalker and I lurk and know too much about you guys OwO

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

As far as the circle-jerk-ness of it...couldn't we dub people based on actual criteria (including old forum criteria) Post count would include new members that have a lot of presence as of late, and years on the forum would count as regular presence despite post count.

Also, If it helps I (or someone else, but I'd be willing) to arrange a list based on those criteria, I actually am quite familiar with tons of forum members and would be able to group them in as 'regulars', and if not I'd still be willing to list newbies on the forum on there too (Phausk, Chrysocyon, and Astrium are examples of people who hadn't been around very long but I actually see enough of their posts or presence to know them)

I'd do this because A) I like lists and B) I'm a stalker and I lurk and know too much about you guys OwO

That sounds alright, mostly since it actually acknowledges people before the shitpostpocalypse of 2015.

Now get out of my garbage.

Honestly, I think the only way something like this would work without turning into a disappointing circle jerk would be for an artist to volunteer and set the terms of the project, i.e., who can be included, how they are included, and the price.

If you actually commission an artist for this at fair pricing, it's either going to be very simple, poor quality, or extravagantly expensive. There's also the problem that most "giant group portrait" style commissions I've seen are just plain ugly. Composition and design go out the window when you have to include N random characters and they all have to be in the foreground.