HOLY PISS I'M MAD: Demonizing A Dead Man

Sidewalk Surfboard

I'm so sick of this attitude that the minute you do something "problematic" it means you can never be redeemed and you are forever labeled as such. It's just fucking awful. If you're on Tumblr, you should know about this bullshit that's going on right now. As we know, David Bowie died last night. And you know what people are doing? This shit.Capture.PNG.22ea5cc3494a346dd3ea67876189
This man hasn’t even been dead for 72 hours and yet here they are telling people that they’re pieces of shit for being sad about his death because of something that he may have done that those people don’t even fucking source correctly. They feed off of attention like little leeches, and they have no fucking tact whatsoever. They don’t care about anybody but themselves, and they only brought this up because he died. It's absolutely fucking sickening. I bet half of them didn't even know who the fuck he even was before he died.
rage.gif.6b222220511829c564e4b4e462828d5

Edited by Sidewalk Surfboard
  • Like 6

Just now, Aouzy said:

Tumblr users being edgy retards as usual. What else is new.

This is a whole new level of horrible, honestly. They were bad before, but this fucking crosses the line. You know why? Because push all their focus on this, but then completely ignore the fact that Caitlyn Jenner fucking ran over someone and killed them. It's the biggest fucking double standard I've ever seen in my life.

• Like 7

On one hand, dying doesn't absolve someone of the fact that they did something really fucking horrible, like rape.
And that's neither me agreeing nor disagreeing with them. Because I don't care enough to research, and I'm not pointing fingers.
But -IF- it did, that's still pretty, you know, understandable.

On the other, it's Tumblr.
Tumblr's known to wish death on people for drawing POC characters the slightest little tick above their canon skin color, on accident or otherwise.
So it's not worth it to take them seriously.

Just now, Vae said:

On one hand, dying doesn't absolve someone of the fact that they did something really fucking horrible, like rape.
And that's neither me agreeing nor disagreeing with them. Because I don't care enough to research, and I'm not pointing fingers.
But -IF- it did, that's still pretty, you know, understandable.

On the other, it's Tumblr.
Tumblr's known to wish death on people for drawing POC characters the slightest little tick above their canon skin color, on accident or otherwise.
So it's not worth it to take them seriously.

What happened, according to the only sources found, this 13 year old girl was a groupie in the 70s, and she lost her virginity to David Bowie. She said that she felt a bit taken advantage of, but did not feel as if he raped her. There were photos showing her drinking and smoking, so David could have mistaken her for older than she was. Technically speaking it was statutory rape, but again, he may not have known her age at the time so it's really confusing. The fact that these people are bringing this up right after he died just makes me depressed. And yeah, that shit with the girl who nearly killed herself because of those people is just another level of sickening.

Seems like a rock is a potential rapist in the eyes of stupid fucking tumblr. Seriously, what a conglomeration of the lowest pieces of shit.

I love Bowie's music, and it's strange to turn and face the ch-ch-changes in light of his death.

Time might have faced him, but he'll face time.

It really is a sad day, we're losing legends left right and center.

RIP

What it really boils down to is that we have a subgroup of people who will tell you that no fun is allowed, you can't enjoy things, and that you also can't just be sad. You have to be mad and offended at everything. You have to find some negative aspect of everything and let it make you mad.

What an awful way to live.

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, Luca said:

It's so edgy to be contrarian. 

That website is the black hole of the internet.

Shit like that really drives me up the wall...

Rock tumblers make nice shiny stones out of dull junk, but tumblr just makes gravel... Lots and lots of gravel...

I love how they don't cite any credible sources. When I'm having a bad day, these kinds of people remind me that I'm not a complete fucking moron.

1 minute ago, Muugu said:

My fucking god these people drive me up the wall. 

19 minutes ago, Wrecker said:

Shit like that really drives me up the wall...

upthefuckinwall.jpeg

• Like 10

Hey, you know Bill Cosby? Know how he played the dad on that wacky sitcom way back in the day?

He only did it so he could put his weenie in people. Drugged people. Drugged people with vaginas. Yeah.

So.

Yeah. Everyone's a horrible person, really. I'm pretty sure Bowie paid for any acts of rape he may have possibly committed by going through hell while sill alive (cancer). Beyond that, not a lot I can say. 

Edited by AlexInsane

ok this drives me insane. and everyone here also seems to find it absurd, which I'm happy about, so I'm just going to vent for venting's sake.

it's a simplification of the moral dilemma that comes with art, the idea of "does the art suffer because of the artist's morals", and frankly i have always been adamantly of the opinion that it's fucking bullshit.

when people complain about Bowie being a rapist, that's looking at him as a person (and not even accurately, i might add). you wanna talk about influential musicians being "terrible" people? Jimmy Page was an off the wall satanist, famous German composer Wagner was a fucking Nazi-lover, pretty much any composer from before the 1700s just tried to sleep with whoever had the right vagina (INCLUDING Beethoven, you know, the guy who kinda started the Romantic era of classical music), married or otherwise... yet all of these composers and musicians are fucking influential, and there's a huge reason why that these Tumblrites just fucking like to gloss over.

There is no difference in the sound of music played by a rapist as opposed to the same notes played by someone who is not a rapist. Our moral standing does not change the sound of music unless we specifically write it that way. And that's why even though I know I shouldn't care this much, it is something I will not ever stop wanting to just lose my shit about, because the whole reason people are respecting Bowie's death is because their art impacted them in a meaningful way, and that does not equate to the actions he may have committed off the stage.

You wanna shit on the important role Bowie has played on music because once he kinda maybe touched a person I think? Fine. Just don't act like he didn't also have a huge positive impact on thousands of musicians.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

This is a whole new level of horrible, honestly. They were bad before, but this fucking crosses the line. You know why? Because push all their focus on this, but then completely ignore the fact that Caitlyn Jenner fucking ran over someone and killed them. It's the biggest fucking double standard I've ever seen in my life.

But she is Trans incon and some guy I knew once wore a dress so that makes them trans to. Sht up cis scum!

People need to take a chill pill. And also be calmer. When something terrible happens they take it as a platform to voice their own caustic opinions. Dead people are not a soapbox!

8 minutes ago, willow said:

To be fair, no one on Tumblr really likes Caitlyn Jenner either but the whole world also forgets this because it was much more controversial to talk about a man wearing a dress

She is so beautiful, beautiful and brave.

6 minutes ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

I stopped expecting anything as soon as I read 'Tumblr'

Hello SC I missed you with angst.

5 hours ago, AlexInsane said:

He only did it so he could put his weenie in people. Drugged people. Drugged people with vaginas.

Eeheehee I know you're making a serious point but the way you say that just makes me laugh. ^w^

6 hours ago, Rassah said:

David Bowie has never ever raped anyone. It can be 100% proven as fact:

NO ONE DOES NOT WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH DAVID BOWIE.

I rest my case.

Ummm I don't because he'd be a zombie you gay weirdo! And to me that's gross. Thanks.

7 hours ago, evan said:

ok this drives me insane. and everyone here also seems to find it absurd, which I'm happy about, so I'm just going to vent for venting's sake.

it's a simplification of the moral dilemma that comes with art, the idea of "does the art suffer because of the artist's morals", and frankly i have always been adamantly of the opinion that it's fucking bullshit.

when people complain about Bowie being a rapist, that's looking at him as a person (and not even accurately, i might add). you wanna talk about influential musicians being "terrible" people? Jimmy Page was an off the wall satanist, famous German composer Wagner was a fucking Nazi-lover, pretty much any composer from before the 1700s just tried to sleep with whoever had the right vagina (INCLUDING Beethoven, you know, the guy who kinda started the Romantic era of classical music), married or otherwise... yet all of these composers and musicians are fucking influential, and there's a huge reason why that these Tumblrites just fucking like to gloss over.

There is no difference in the sound of music played by a rapist as opposed to the same notes played by someone who is not a rapist. Our moral standing does not change the sound of music unless we specifically write it that way. And that's why even though I know I shouldn't care this much, it is something I will not ever stop wanting to just lose my shit about, because the whole reason people are respecting Bowie's death is because their art impacted them in a meaningful way, and that does not equate to the actions he may have committed off the stage.

You wanna shit on the important role Bowie has played on music because once he kinda maybe touched a person I think? Fine. Just don't act like he didn't also have a huge positive impact on thousands of musicians.

Good point, Evan. I really do hate the moral bias between what people produce vs. What they believe. Assuming what they created doesnt have the same message or idea as the life they live the things they make are still very likeable despite what an awful person they are. (Or rumored to be, in this case)

I mean as an off-topic example, do you know how infuriating it is to support or boycott restaurants or companies just because of the stance they take? My family does that and it annoys the hell out of me. I dont care that doritos supports gays or that chick fil A doesnt. I will eat their food because I like it. Not because of whatever the heck the managers think in their life unrelated to the product.

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

Just now, 6tails said:

Just so you know, giving that money to Chick-fil-A means you give them money to support their anti-gay agenda and attempts at anti-gay legislation. So when you say you don't care, you most certainly don't, and by not caring you're willfully donating to the suffering of many millions of people.

But is the anti-gay agenda even winning anyways? 

I mean, gay marriage was just legalized. In what way did that money stop it?

I just want my waffle fries, man.

13 minutes ago, 6tails said:

You think just because gay marriage was legalized, that they're going to stop in their attempts to get in the way?

History consistently shows otherwise.

I dont expect them to stop, but their attempts havent shown to be successful. The people have spoken, chik fil a wont stop them as much as they continue to. Edit: as for history showing otherwise, white supremicists still exist as a minority but how much power do they really have in this day and age?

i'll buy more bags of doritos if it evens the balance out there in the sociopolitical world. 

But really every time a new business comes out with their stance its like oh no no eating there anymore. Like I dont even drink starbucks that much anyways but now that they support gays all of a sudden it doesnt make me want to drink more coffee.

I hope Im not coming of as apathetic but these company moral wars are ticking me off. 

At the least...there should be a law passed saying money cannot go to some controversial charity or something. Urgh.

EDIT: For the sake of not derailing a tumblr/Bowie thread this is better off discussed in another thread if I ever decide to make one.

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

Hmm, I must be following the right people on tumblr because I haven't really seen any negativity about Mr. Bowie. Mostly just posts featuring dogs and recipes. I guess it really depends on what part of tumblr you're on. Though, I do think it's sickening to bash someone who died just because you know you'll get attention.

54 minutes ago, malibu said:

Hmm, I must be following the right people on tumblr because I haven't really seen any negativity about Mr. Bowie. Mostly just posts featuring dogs and recipes. I guess it really depends on what part of tumblr you're on. Though, I do think it's sickening to bash someone who died just because you know you'll get attention.

The people you follow cook dogs? D:

• Like 2

I would like to point out that a lot of the good he did was also largely ignored until after he was dead.

From work for Keep a Child Alive to War Child, many people I know are only just now finding out about his work. Many kinds of contributions - labor, money, products, etc. - to the fights against AIDS, hunger, postwar-problems, and many others of his are only suddenly flooding the internet, television, and local chats.

Why? Probably for the same reason there are many people only just now beginning to criticize him; the man died.

I feel that it is just as shameful to only truly celebrate a man after he died as it is to criticize him after. Any person deserves to be celebrated for the good they do - or punished for the bad they do - while they are still alive. It is almost as if we celebrate that we are finally rid of those that stand out when they die.

I guess I get frustrated at all the love for anyone that has died that could have been shown when they were alive. Probably irrational, but I dislike death too much to be rational about it.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, MalletFace said:

I would like to point out that a lot of the good he did was also largely ignored until after he was dead.

From work for Keep a Child Alive to War Child, many people I know are only just now finding out about his work. Many kinds of contributions - labor, money, products, etc. - to the fights against AIDS, hunger, postwar-problems, and many others of his are only suddenly flooding the internet, television, and local chats.

Why? Probably for the same reason there are many people only just now beginning to criticize him; the man died.

I feel that it is just as shameful to only truly celebrate a man after he died as it is to criticize him after. Any person deserves to be celebrated for the good they do - or punished for the bad they do - while they are still alive. It is almost as if we celebrate that we are finally rid of those that stand out when they die.

I guess I get frustrated at all the love for anyone that has died that could have been shown when they were alive. Probably irrational, but I dislike death too much to be rational about it.

Missed opportunity makes people behave all too differently, but sometimes these mistakes aren't learned from.

1 hour ago, MalletFace said:

If he's anything like me or some other rich people I know, he probably did all those good things privately, with very few people knowing about it. Charity is done for its own sake, and talking about it just makes you sound like you're trying to buy into being a good person. So it could just be that most didn't didn't know about these good deeds of his until he dies, and those whom he helped came forward and told about them.

Yeah, I'd chalk this up to young people being edgy, and thinking that going against the popular grain by criticizing a dead person they've barely heard of makes them a cool iconoclast.

That isn't to say that we shouldn't criticize the dead sometimes, or acknowledge the problematic, troubling, or tragic parts of that person's life or character--we should--but there's generally a time and a place for that.

• Like 1

This whole thread of thought just isnt worth thinking about, just dont give retards like that the desperate attention they crave, just ignore and move on, and then if you ever see them irl, trip them up or punch them, provided the cops aint watching.

And i never knew that about the Bruce Jenner McWoman guy, i hope the vehicle he was driving had low.... transmissions :V

The greater tumblr in general is notoriously cannibalistic, especially corners infected with the whole SJW-mentality.

That said, I'm sure if you could find plenty of tribute posts full of badly compressed GIF's of David Bowie doing...stuff if you looked for it though. It is a big website after all.

18 minutes ago, Harbinger said:

And i never knew that about the Bruce Jenner McWoman guy, i hope the vehicle he was driving had low.... transmissions :V

Bruce Jenner makes me want to punch several kittens. Fuck that nigga.

1 hour ago, Rassah said:

If he's anything like me or some other rich people I know, he probably did all those good things privately, with very few people knowing about it. Charity is done for its own sake, and talking about it just makes you sound like you're trying to buy into being a good person. So it could just be that most didn't didn't know about these good deeds of his until he dies, and those whom he helped came forward and told about them.

His monetary donations are almost all totally private. It would be impossible to know how many charities he actually donated to.

He was, however, a voice for many causes in many ways, and many of his contributions were impossible to keep private because he was vocal about them. Most of the articles coming out now are not talking about shocking revelations into Bowie's humanitarian work; most of them are just going recalling the things that were already known but never really talked about.

For example,

• he pushed to allow a cover of his song Heroes - not to be confused with his album, Heroes, or the album he contributed to, Heroes - to be included in the Heroes album for War Child. Anyone that knew older Bowie music knew that was his - and a certain Eno's - song,
  • he gave stuff of his away to be auctioned for charity - as many celebrities do - on many occasions, such as autographed shoes for the Mines Authority Group, and
  • his final live performance was for the Black Ball fundraiser.

I could go on listing charity events he performed for, some of them at his request, but that is too much digging. Most of them were HIV/AIDS and human rights fundraisers, though.

Some people do not just stop at throwing money at a cause. Some of them actively participate, organize, and get the word out. Bowie was - shockingly to some people - one of this breed.

• Like 1

I always thought Bowie was fucking cool because of his being bisexual in a time when it wasn't popular to be for a man. 

You shouldn't really give hipster contrarians much thought because it makes you look like the idiot. Who's the bigger fool in that situation? 

Just now, Butters said:

I always thought Bowie was fucking cool because of his being bisexual in a time when it wasn't popular to be for a man. 

You shouldn't really give hipster contrarians much thought because it makes you look like the idiot. Who's the bigger fool in that situation? 

I think anyone whose ever looked at David Bowie like...ever could probably tell he was probably banging dudes one way or the other. Motherfucker was fab as fuck.

• Like 1

Just now, PastryOfApathy said:

I think anyone whose ever looked at David Bowie like...ever could probably tell he was probably banging dudes one way or the other. Motherfucker was fab as fuck.

To be fair, it was the 80's. Being a girly man was "Rebellious" as long as you still fucked dat pussy. The 80's was a weird decade. xD

..and then there's Freddie Senpai. <3 

mercury_freddie.jpg

MuchsuperiortoBowieoristhatjustmeandistlllovethemoustachedontcarewhatthedecade...

• Like 1