Things that you hate! v2

Sar

This is the wrong thread for it but i love the information contained in the post above me. I have no interest in jumping into an argument about religion or clicking those links and spending the next couple of hours link hopping in the pursuit of knowledge regarding the formation of the Abrahamic faiths (did that enough when i was younger and i'd rather just waste my life pissing about and having fun at this point in time), but...for what it's worth i respect the knowledge @Saxon

Though I'm not really religious, I've always found monotheism boring. Not enough choice. Polytheism offers so much more variety! I wanna have lots of gods and goddesses to pick and choose from.

I'll never understand the particular appeal of just one God; it strikes me like some kinda Wal-Mart, one-stop super-stop of religion, and thus, kinda canned, and generic. But that's just me, to each their own.

59 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Though I'm not really religious, I've always found monotheism boring. Not enough choice. Polytheism offers so much more variety! I wanna have lots of gods and goddesses to pick and choose from.

I'll never understand the particular appeal of just one God; it strikes me like some kinda Wal-Mart, one-stop super-stop of religion, and thus, kinda canned, and generic. But that's just me, to each their own.

Wwwwwwell, when thinking about the differences between polytheistic and monotheistic deities there are (from personal experience, take with a grain of salt) different spiritual experiences to be had based on the doctrines of the faith. Polytheism naturally has multiple gods that are associated with different aspects of the world, the universe, etc and as such you can pick and choose what gods and thus aspects of the world to venerate. It's focused, divine beauty is segregated and thus can be isolated and appreciated to a greater extent than the monotheistic catch all. Having said that monotheism (from the pov of Christianity) provides an overwhelming sense of bliss and security if you embrace it, everything just feels like it'll be alright because you have god. It's less about the beauty of the world and more about the tranquility of the spirit. From personal experience and spiritual flirtations at least. For the record i don't believe in any established gods but i have experienced feelings i have no problem describing as religious and thus understand some of the power of belief. 

When things don't work at the worst possible time. My friend's car broke down in the middle of the highway where people are going up to 80mph. I'd say it's nothing short of a miracle that we didn't get mowed down and got out intact.

1 hour ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

My father's job. It's literally killing him because he works with the worst fucking people.

He never takes time off because they KEEP taking time off. Someone quit on him during times that they can't even hire someone new because fuck newspapers apparently.

What job does he do?

23 hours ago, Gator said:

also, rain.  i LOVE rain.  idk how to even explain it but sometimes it feels like rain is the only thing that makes me feel calm and happy.  best of all when there's rumbling thunder, but not enough storm to be any danger.  even if i don't get to go outside, just hearing the rain is instant mood improvement.  and even when it's not actually raining, if it looks/feels/smells like rain, where the sky is kinda grey (if it's daytime, which is rare for me) and the air gets kinda misty and you can smell the water on the air and the sea from way far off, holy hell.  it makes me a happy reptile and i wish i could just lay outside in a patch of moss and let it rain all over me.  i don't care if it's light drizzle or heavy downpour, any time it's raining my first instinct is to go outside so i don't miss it.  and when i can't do that, i want to listen to it.  which is why, when it's not raining, i have a rain sound generator playing on the computer.  i just wish i could get one of those noisemaker things so i don't have to turn the rain off whenever i shut the computer down.

I hate the rain. Because I have to work out in it for work.

Plus, the smell of dead worms everywhere. And how they pop under your feet.

1 hour ago, Crazy Lee said:

I hate the rain. Because I have to work out in it for work.

Plus, the smell of dead worms everywhere. And how they pop under your feet.

shhh more food for the birds

...i bet being a worm sucks.

16 hours ago, Jtrekkie said:

Usually there isn't a contradiction at all (because that would be too easy.)

I'm no ethologist, but by way of example I know people who believe 100% in the literal truth of the Bible, and yet still eat bacon. Because they like it. They'll swear blind that pork is the meat-devil and unclean, but bacon - also from the taboo animal the pig - they eat whenever they feel like it and can't understand why this contradicts their belief. (Pig flesh is banned in Deuteronomy as 'unclean' and I'm pretty sure that was never repealed.)

I reckon the human brain is programmed something like this:
If ( baconTastiness > religiousFervour ) { return NOM }

That's not the only example, but it's the clearest-cut and the least prone to reinterpretation and semantic arguments.

3 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

He puts advertisements/comics/etc. (inserts) into newspapers.

It's a lot more work than you'd expect.

I used to do something similar. I can sympathise. The hours were horrible, the work was painful and the people in charge entirely unsympathetic and oblivious. I had to quit that job when I had a nervous breakdown.

Hope things get better for the poor guy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faust said:

I used to do something similar. I can sympathise. The hours were horrible, the work was painful and the people in charge entirely unsympathetic and oblivious. I had to quit that job when I had a nervous breakdown.

Hope things get better for the poor guy!

Yeah, he works 3PM-3AM on Mon/Wed, and 6PM-3/4/5/6AM Tues/Fri, and 10PM-3/4/5/6AM Sat. He gets Thurs and Sun off, but it rarely helps since he's the only one who can drive. The job has actually put my father in the hospital once already because it was giving him stress pains in the chest. The fact that it involves a lot of standing and moving around and my father is a fat guy means that his legs are actually swollen.

So many of the landscape photography submissions on fur affinity have been stolen from photographers and presented as people's own work.

I have reported a good share of these and had some of them removed, but the widespread occurrence of photograph theft is so severe that I don't even add landscape photographs to my favourites anymore, because I don't want to discover that I have been rewarding an art thief. :\

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Faust said:

I'm no ethologist, but by way of example I know people who believe 100% in the literal truth of the Bible, and yet still eat....

That was repealed along with quite a few other things, although most Jews retain the prohibition.

Mosaic law was intended to achieve an end, but was not meant to be permanent. As such the Torah is included in the Bible as a historical reference, but since Old Testament law was fulfilled, Christians have an entirely different kind of law than a list of dos and don'ts.

The issue with pigs in particular was first hygienic (meats were routinely undercooked), but also environmental. Raising swine in the desert is decadent behavior, and pigs were far from a feasible food source. Neither of those objections have anything to do with pigs themselves.

It's brought up in a couple of different ways in the NT, but here's this (addressed to people who take ceremony to seriously to remember the point, which is a recurring theme everywhere):

"'Don't you see that nothing that enters a person from the outside can defile them? For it doesn't go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.' In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean."

4 hours ago, Saxon said:

So many of the landscape photography submissions on fur affinity have been stolen from photographers and presented as people's own work.

That's sad, but I doubt that photography is the most stolen media. Thanks for reporting violations, though. How are checking?

14 minutes ago, Jtrekkie said:

That's sad, but I doubt that photography is the most stolen media. Thanks for reporting violations, though. How are checking?

I copy the photograph files from FACDN and put them into google reverse image search.

I check for matches and seek out the original photographers who uploaded them; if somebody's photographs from fur affinity belong to two different people or were taken on a date different to the date claimed by the person who uploaded them to fur affinity, then I file a report and present this as proof that image has been stolen.

I found one user once who had hundreds of watchers, including some popular artists. They regularly pretended to go traveling and would upload images from travel brochures taken years before hand, claiming that they were photographs that they had taken themselves.
I got Fur affinity to remove all the content I identified as stolen, but I am sure there was stolen content I couldn't prove was appropriated.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jtrekkie said:

"'Don't you see that nothing that enters a person from the outside can defile them? For it doesn't go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.' In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean."

Huh, I wonder if that counts, for other things, going in and out of other parts.

But it is odd, that most western taboos seem to involve things somehow penetrating or entering the body: as foods, sexually, or violently, as in weapons. This crossing of what psychology would call the 'ego barrier' (that part of reality defined as the self, vs. all the other parts of reality categorized as 'not the self') seems the most common theme, in terms of prohibitions against food, sex and violence. In this sense, sin is often a sense of confluence; something entering the body that should not, or where it should not, a breaking of the ego barriers. I recall Fritz Perls explored this in his book Ego, Hunger and Aggression; may have to re-tread that section.

• Like 1

I hate that suddenly my grandma and my boyfriend's grandfather are both suddenly close to dying - his much closer than mine. So I was doing really great and then suddenly my mom's losing her mom, I am losing my grandma, and my boyfriend is losing his grandfather.

The worst part is that one of the issues my grandma suddenly has emphysema caused not by her smoking - she never has- but the smoking of people around her. It pisses me off.

38 minutes ago, Jtrekkie said:

I believe that statement actually points out the contradictions that were being mentioned. That little note added in Mark completely changes the same event as described in Matthew. 

Matthew, in opposition to the single comment added in Mark, has Jesus challenging the selfsame Pharisees for delivering their own law - that unwashed hands make things unclean - instead of following the law as delivered in the Torah - that unwashed hands are not unclean:

Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying,
Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.
But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.
But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me;
And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand:
Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.
Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?
But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.
Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

Then answered Peter and said unto him, Declare unto us this parable.
And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?
Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

Mark would also suggest that Jesus was condemning not following the law and inventing laws to follow and not declaring foods clean. But that last comment, which is absolutely unusual and makes no sense when taken with the whole story and account in Matthew, completely throws out the Jewish law Jesus was just defending.

The Bible is full of that - authors from various different times interjecting their opinion into texts without being able to change other parts.

Another thing I hate is that I was forced to learn these stories growing up without actually being taught what they really meant. I also hated people believing things are in the Bible that end up actually contradicting the Bible. Like eternity in heaven, lions that lie with lambs, a fiery hell, and pretty much anything to do with what a marriage is or is not. I got over it, though. Not really worth it because it is so common; the Bible is too different from the constructed reality of the Bible in the U.S..

• Like 1

I hate consumerism, sometimes. When a company makes a mistake, don't defend them and try to justify their decisions because you love the brand, acknowledge the fact that they don't "love their consumers", and they're primary goal is to make money off of you, and useful idiots that love to shill for them. Fanboys/girls prove my point, and I especially hate it when well off Apple fans try to justify the removal of the headphone jack on the iPhone 7 when it hasn't really added any benefits other than to make people go out and buy more accessories, in fact, it took away conveniences, and of course the shills will say something like, "It's the future, get use to it!", or, "I don't mind paying extra for accessories". If you don't have a valid argument, or try to make light of people getting ripped off just because you're well off and have money to waste, that pisses me the fuck off, and I view you as a tool for corporatism.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WolfyAmbassador said:

I hate consumerism, sometimes. When a company makes a mistake, don't defend them and try to justify their decisions because you love the brand, acknowledge the fact that they don't "love their consumers" and they're primary goal is to make money off of you, and useful idiots who love to shill for them. Fanboys/girls prove my point, and I especially hate it when well off Apple fans try to justify the removal of the headphone jack on the iPhone 7 when it hasn't really added any benefits other than to make people go out and buy more accessories, in fact, it took away conveniences, and of course the shills will say something like, "It's the future, get use to it!", or, "I don't mind paying extra for accessories". If you don't have a valid argument, or try to make light of people getting ripped off just because you're well off and have money to waste, that pisses me the fuck off, and I view you as a tool for corporatism.

This reads as "if you don't agree with me, you're stupid".

• Like 1

There's a lot of vegetarians/vegans on this one forum I go on. In one particular thread, someone mentioned that they eat eggs and one of them went on a giant tangent about how eggs are bad because yada yada. I get that they're passionate about that, but can't they make their own thread to talk about it instead of clogging up what's supposed to be a fun forum game?

6 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

There's a lot of vegetarians/vegans on this one forum I go on. In one particular thread, someone mentioned that they eat eggs and one of them went on a giant tangent about how eggs are bad because yada yada. I get that they're passionate about that, but can't they make their own thread to talk about it instead of clogging up what's supposed to be a fun forum game?

That vegan folk must hate Easter

You can choose between eating an egg, or a small fluffy woodland creature
Both of which are made using cow lactation

It's like salt on a wound

A delicious chocolate wound

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MalletFace said:

I hate that suddenly my grandma and my boyfriend's grandfather are both suddenly close to dying - his much closer than mine. So I was doing really great and then suddenly my mom's losing her mom, I am losing my grandma, and my boyfriend is losing his grandfather.

I believe that statement actually points out the contradictions that were being mentioned....

I'm sorry. I lost my grandpa and uncle a couple years ago from smoke, too. Things like that can come suddenly. I'm sure you already know this stuff since you're older than I am, but if you can take whatever time you can off to spend time with her. Just the mundanity of human contact is a comfort, especially when you're older. 

The way you talk about things sounds awfully bitter. There's something of a tradition in refraining from dishing out answers. It gives people a chance to think about things and discover why, which is always more useful than simply being told what. If you compare the two directly (always works better in Greek or Aramaic than English), Mark gave the same account, and the reasoning is exactly the same for both. Keep in mind that he was teaching a crowd as usual, not defending the law to the Pharisees.

I mentioned that Mosaic law was intended to fulfill a purpose. If you care to look forward a couple of chapters, you can see Jesus criticize the social law directly because Moses made concessions for miserable people. Obviously it is better to be perfect, but it wasn't a problem because no amount of following codes can make you good in the first place, and that wasn't the goal of the law anyway. 

Back when reddit r/place was active, I had to make a choice to expand the national flag of my people to the territory of r/furry_IRL with a slogan "Yiff me daddy" or leave it alone but disappoint my fellow countrymen in Discord

Argh, the choices

(Un?)fortunately the r/place ended right before we managed to make any coordinated attack. Now that stupid slogan is right beneath the Moomins, which is kinda funny but distasteful at the same time

To lose a friend, not by fate, but by choice. And no choice of ours, but his own. Are we wooden dolls to be cast away? or, rather, has our apathy made us into wood. Your failure is your own, and your spite condemns your wooden heart even as your valediction plays on wooden ears.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Jtrekkie said:

To lose a friend, not by fate, but by choice. And no choice of ours, but his own. Are we wooden dolls to be cast away? or, rather, has our apathy made us into wood. Your failure is your own, and your spite condemns your wooden heart even as your valediction plays on wooden ears.

Let's hug it out, because I'm fairly sure I know what you're talking about

• Like 1

On 4/6/2017 at 0:44 PM, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

I feel as if some people genuinely hate me for the sole reason that I enjoy being a consumer. I love furbies, Max Headroom, Chuck E. Cheese, and things like that, and they're the definition of consumerism, but I feel like people really hate me because of it.

fuck the haters

but not literally; don't damage yourself in that way -- use a more constructive method, like drugs.

• Like 1

People who equate criticism with just shitting on something.

"This is stupid and you're stupid for liking it" is shitting on something.

Picking that thing apart and talking about what's wrong with it is not shitting on it. It's analyzing it. It's figuring out how it can be improved.
There's nothing inherently negative about that practice. You only feel like it is, because you feel like someone is attacking you for favorite song / game / tv show / whatever.
And if you do, that's your problem, not theirs.

• Like 4

I'm seriously so self conscious over the stupidest shit recently. I feel like people despise me for my opinions. I feel like people silently judge me for my hobbies. I feel like people hate interacting with me because I can't socialize normally back. Fuck, man. I know I shouldn't be so worried, but it's hard to not be when you want to be normal so badly.

10 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

I feel like people despise me for my opinions. I feel like people silently judge me for my hobbies. I feel like people hate interacting with me because I can't socialize normally back.

That's just what people do. Judging and evaluating others is just human nature. You're right that you shouldn't be worried about it, because what is thought of as "normal"? Just be yourself and learn not to give a shit about what others think. Taking that step vastly improved my social life. I'm happy with myself and my image, and I'm not going to let anyone taint it, period.

Fastfood meals that don't include napkins.

Yes, thank you. I totally wanted to go home and supply my own, and / or get grease all over my hands without a way to remove it while I'm out.
Because that's totally the point of fast food.

How the fuck is it not mandatory to shove those in the bag.

• Like 3

starting what is soon to be another long work day with taxes, divorce talk, and a dry porkchop for breakfast.  also i'm pretty sure the water filter needs to be replaced again because this water tastes like mold.  -v-

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Conker said:

I bought a new pair of sandals today and after one walk I have three blisters and one of them is bleeding.

I hope JC Penney's return policy is: IF it makes your feet bleed, we'll take them back

New shoes often do this; if you break them in with gentle use before doing strenuous activity you can avoid blisters.

Alternatively you may have bought shoes which are the wrong size for you.

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

New shoes often do this; if you break them in with gentle use before doing strenuous activity you can avoid blisters.

Alternatively you may have bought shoes which are the wrong size for you.

They're the right size. The stitching in the straps is super coarse. I think they're just cheap.

On 07/04/2017 at 3:41 AM, Crazy Lee said:

When plugging in the AC cord side of my notebook's charger into the charger box, there was a spark and a pop. Computer's not charging anymore.

Thankfully new ones are cheap on Amazon, $10-20 or so.

This spark then pop thing is what happens when electrolytic capacitors die suddenly. You can get those even cheaper though things like chargers and power bricks aren't generally user serviceable sadly.

being unable to enjoy just about anything any more

like.. just.. nothing.  it all sucks.  hobbies are tedious effort, don't have the energy or desire to do anything.  still sort of do some things, still sort of enjoy them, but just completely unable to get into anything or maintain said interest.  no passion left in my body. 

also, constantly feeling like i'm being mocked and looked down on.  i feel like people just take for granted that they're above me, and that even a total stranger's opinion would mean more to them than the same thing coming from me.  almost everyone i've ever known has made me feel this way at some point, so i just assume that it's always the case.

1 hour ago, Gator said:

being unable to enjoy just about anything any more

like.. just.. nothing.  it all sucks.  hobbies are tedious effort, don't have the energy or desire to do anything.  still sort of do some things, still sort of enjoy them, but just completely unable to get into anything or maintain said interest.  no passion left in my body. 

also, constantly feeling like i'm being mocked and looked down on.  i feel like people just take for granted that they're above me, and that even a total stranger's opinion would mean more to them than the same thing coming from me.  almost everyone i've ever known has made me feel this way at some point, so i just assume that it's always the case.

Aw, I have a lot of times like that, too, where worries about money and the future crowd out everything else, and I get these feelings of panic and gloom...and all my passion seems to drain away. But it manages to come back some, and often when I see your avi, and reflect back to something clever you said, that either made me laugh, or ponder life in a different way. So ya at least got a Fossa who reads your posts, and isn't gonna look down on ya. He might tease some, but that's just his nature. Hope ya feel better, there.

• Like 4

It's spring time here and all the gravel and sand used to make ice walkable (deslipperize?) is now on bare and hard streets. As a result, on a windy day like today all that sand and grinded dust blows straight into your eyes and teeth. 

Ugh

I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. 

• Like 1