Ye good ole kids' toys

What toys did you folks use to play with as a kid?

Personally, motherfucking Bionicle. In classic LEGO fashion, its line of toys would grant great creative freedom and I loved building MOCs, as they're called (which stands for ''My Own Creation''), when I would eventually get tired of the initial sets.

This is what I came up with

DSC_6263.JPG

I would play Medal of Honor all the time on the PS2 back then so you can see how I wanted to give my custom sets a militaristic feel. Holy shit I can remember all of their names, even after all this time

Wanted to add more images but the thing won't let me (reached size limit). Oh well

In general the franchise transpired of badassery, with a background story that made it feel like something come straight out of a mythology book

Not to mention the cinematic trailers that would make every prepubescent impressionable kid like yours truly literally JIZZ in their pants with excitement

This one is easily my favourite

There's also a plethora of stopmotions and music videos, some of which are very, very well done. The community was just awesome in general AFAIK

Good times. So? What toys'd you play with? Old nostalgia inducing videogames count too as long as you were a kid back then, even if this thread is more centered on toys to be honest

I had these stretchy purple and green dragons I liked playing with. I also had Bratz, Barbie, and My Little Pony, and toy swords, plus some fake tools and fake McDonald's food and a big collection of plastic McDonald's furbies that I ended up destroying at one point. There was also this tiny cow toy that I liked, and I made a small farm for it. I also had an inflatable Spyro at one point. I played more video games than I did play with toys though.

Edit: Here's a picture of what the rubber dragons sort of looked like.

7397729576_5592ab4c64.jpg

Edited by Sidewalk Surfboard

When i was very little i was obsessed with this one obscure franchise in the UK called:

Action heroes!!!

Well they are actually called rescue heroes in the US. I remembered i had all the toys and i watched the animated show all the time, it was generally thrilling to watch for a 4 year old because the characters were placed in situations where they could die! They even often got injured. I don't know how it holds up today but those toys were the shit!!

hqdefault.jpg

preschool_large_03.jpg

• Like 1

Elementary school: Legos, matchbox/hot wheels, k'nex, marvel action figures (mostly xmen and Spiderman) and Pokemon cards. Eventually I got a gameboy pocket (then color) with Pokemon blue. I almost forgot PS1. (Our first games for that were Crash Bandicoot, Tomb Raider, and Resident Evil)

Middle school: gameboy color -> gameboy advance, yugioh cards, board games, and N64. 

Highschool: Gameboy advance -> DS, Xbox/360, ps2 (I love the .hack games), and GameCube.

Probably missed a lot but those are the major things that I remember.

• Like 1

Legos, army men, transformers toys, and hot wheels when I was younger, also k'nex. First video game systems were NES and SNES, while my mom preferred her sega genesis/saturn, although mostly the latter cuz it had the new sim city game while I was trying to figure out the one on SNES. She used to have an old mac with a marvel animation studio thing sorta like mario paint though I could never really figure it out :V

Later on as I was growing up it was still mostly legos and such, with nerf guns being added in, and lots of game systems. Gameboys, N64 and ps1, with a gamecube coming much later. My sister got a laptop computer before I did, and we didn't get a desktop til much later.

SO MUCH POKEMON AND TRANSFORMERS IN MY CHILDHOOD.

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

RadioShack_Tape_Recorder.jpg

I'm not kidding. This thing entertained me way more than any toy. My parents bought me this exact model from RadioShack in 1999.

While normal 7 years old kids are seen with toys, I was seen with a tape recorder making fake radio shows and weather forecasts. SweatFox.gif

My sister and I did that with an old radio she had that came with a tape recorder and a mic slot. We once made a really weird comedy-skit show based off of the sarge's heroes games on the ps1 because we both thought the game was funny and I could mimic half the voices the prime voice actor could do.

When I was very young, I mostly liked Matchbox/Hot Wheels and Micro Machines, as well as Lego to a lesser extent. My father collected the older Matchbox cars back then, and as a kid I of course would play with them (I remember preferring them to my newer ones) and end up scratching their paint, so he started getting me beaten up old ones so i wouldn't play with his.

MatchboxGladiator.jpg

I remember one of my favorites was a copy of this truck that had almost no paint left on it, and i think it was missing a door.

The Micro Machines I liked because their smaller size meant that they play sets made for them consisted of entire cities, while they also had an entire range of military vehicles and soldiers:

micro-machines---galoob-ideal---1989-sup2b1fd8e19b4a4f7a0d85e43288e6d5d9.jpg

I would often play out car chases or military conflicts in the city sets (including the one above) I had.

Later on, I became completely obsessed with Star Wars, so I played with a lot of Star Wars Action Figures as well as the Star Wars sets for Micro Machines and Lego (I also got into Lego a lot more, I also had a lot of Lego Harry Potter sets too).

• Like 4

i know someone already posted a cap gun but it wasnt the much superior roll caps version

600878_97759__40912.1466543250.1280.1280

10/10

and also this one

zebra.jpg

i had a lot of toy guns

also Legos of course. The Star Wars ones were my favorite.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zerig said:

i know someone already posted a cap gun but it wasnt the much superior roll caps version

But did you have the ultimate roll cap gun? The cap musket:

054325.jpg

Almost as inconvenient to fire as the real thing!

I actually didn't even think of how many toy guns I had as a kid, two of these things as well as a bunch of Nerf and other toy guns. My friends and I would always have mock battles (latter lightsaber duels) in my back yard when i was growing up.

• Like 1

Just now, Osrik said:

But did you have the ultimate roll cap gun? The cap musket:

054325.jpg

Almost as inconvenient to fire as the real thing!

I actually didn't even think of how many toy guns I had as a kid, two of these things as well as a bunch of Nerf and other toy guns. My friends and I would always have mock battles (latter lightsaber duels) in my back yard when i was growing up.

I actually had a fancy replica musket (no orange tip even) from a giftshop, at a battlefield I can't remember now, when I live in Virginia. It wasn't actually a cap gun, but it had a hammer and pan so I could stuff some roll caps in there and it would make a very nice bang.

All the other kids were jealous B)

I lost it somehow though. Still makes me sad.

Atari, NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, N64.

Fuckload of Pokemon stuff.
Fuckload of stuffed animals.
Creepy Crawlers, and plastic bugs in general.
Beanie Babies.
Barbies.
Cars.

All of the Primal Rage toys, including some of the alt skin recolors, and the two bosses that got taken out of the final game.

7468707052_74b2d372a7_b.jpg

Some Beast Wars.

BeastWars_Transmetal2_Cheetor.jpgBWQuickstrike.jpgdinobot1-51334-1300-1300-90-wm-left_top-100-Unicroncomwatermarkpng.jpg

Bunch of Jurassic Park toys.

ChaosVelociraptoryxLoose1a.jpg1444237865893.jpg
productshot_lowres1.jpg

These.

maxresdefault.jpg

And a bunch of other stuff.
I was pretty spoiled in the "I own way too much shit" department as a kid.

• Like 3

I'm salty. This worthless, boring, fairy ass pile of dick inverting rubbish was my first Nerf blaster.

HNR48504lg.jpg

Now kids today get fucking THESE!!!

hqdefault.jpg maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Nerf, what the fuck? You waited 15 years to make something like this? 

Their blasters have TACTICAL RAILS. I didn't even know what the fuck that was as a kid. >:[

• Like 3

Legos, hot wheels, Lincoln Logs, k'nex, tinker toys, Pokémon cards etc. when I was little. Had a few video games, N64, GameCube and Xbox. I was never into action figures for some reason..

Got older and got more into things like skateboarding, snowboarding, scooters, dirtbikes etc.

Also really enjoyed taking things apart and putting them back together, or at least attempting to haha

1 hour ago, LadyRadarEars said:

My sister and I did that with an old radio she had that came with a tape recorder and a mic slot. We once made a really weird comedy-skit show based off of the sarge's heroes games on the ps1 because we both thought the game was funny and I could mimic half the voices the prime voice actor could do.

Bonus points if you still have the tape today. X3

I vaguely remember playing with army men, hot wheels, and k'nex. My choice video games were the Gameboy Advance SP, N64, Super Mario World hacks, and this weird system that had like 20 Atari 2600 games built in. For whatever reason I never really got into legos, but magnetix were my shit: 

B000SBZZ0G-1.jpg

4406250180_349224f043_z.jpg?zz=1

• Like 2

Oh, man. Beyblade. I was unfortunate enough to be born Mexican so I only ever had cheap knock-off shit that looked like the real thing. Other kids wouldn't let me play with them because the "Beyblade" I had boasted a metal frame that was heavy enough to break other kids' Beyblades.

This was my favorite toy ever. I still have mine in my closet, though the pipe inside the worm (which held the water) burst over ten years ago.

x_concepts_water_worm_by_burningeyestudi

Then of course.... Dragon Flyz

65924a40ff4e14b2030e8757f8f25f77.jpg

Anyone here remember Galidor?

Galidor%2BRetailer%2BCollection%2BComple

This was my shit as a kid. So the whole thing is that you could take apart their limbs and swap them. I was a huge fan of them as a kid. There was also a tie-in TV series about these things that blew my fucking mind as a kid, but now that I think about it would not really satisfy my adult mind. I still have a lot of nostalgia for these.

4 hours ago, pothocket said:

I vaguely remember playing with army men, hot wheels, and k'nex. My choice video games were the Gameboy Advance SP, N64, Super Mario World hacks, and this weird system that had like 20 Atari 2600 games built in. For whatever reason I never really got into legos, but magnetix were my shit: 

B000SBZZ0G-1.jpg

4406250180_349224f043_z.jpg?zz=1

You just made me remember that I had magnetix too, although I mainly just watched my sister make things out of them.

6 hours ago, Zerig said:

I didn't like the roll caps that much. Had more fun scratching the strip to set off a bunch than I did putting them in a gun. Some of those guns were awesome looking though!

5 hours ago, Endless/Nameless said:

[Windows 95]

Lucky! I only had Windows 3.1 + MSDOS 6.0 on an old machine without a NIC.

Remember the "Turbo" button?

1 hour ago, SkyboundTerror said:

x_concepts_water_worm_by_burningeyestudi

I bet all of the kids made countless penis jokes about that thing.

also how could we forget these little fuckers?

gogo's crazy bones were the shit! I used to hold the monopoly on these guys. I used to trade them and get a fuck tonne of gogo's i was literally the biggest black market trader and it came to the point that we started fighting over them and were forced to no longer bring them into school....sigh.....good times 

gogos-crazy-bones-3-pack.jpg

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

I had a Dranzer beyblade like this one. I had replaced the original metal ring by a much larger and heavier one.

Then I got a very long ripcord and a grip for my launcher exactly like this one:

gallery_movies-beyblade.jpg

Man with that setup I literally dismantled other beyblades!

The new Beyblades are fucking furious. Those goddamn demons tear each other apart even worse than I remember in the past. AND they look like badass jewelery.

DarkAquario.jpg

• Like 1

A few Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars that I always ended up breaking, lots of Legos that may or may not have been from sets, and a purple Astrotrain, one of the G1 Transformers Triple Changers.  That's all I can remember, anyway.

Also, I had a tape recorder as well, and boy did I use it for the most inane of crap, but I never had a separate microphone.  It very probably contributed to me hating the sound of my own voice later in life.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ArielMT said:

A few Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars that I always ended up breaking, lots of Legos that may or may not have been from sets, and a purple Astrotrain, one of the G1 Transformers Triple Changers.  That's all I can remember, anyway.

Also, I had a tape recorder as well, and boy did I use it for the most inane of crap, but I never had a separate microphone.  It very probably contributed to me hating the sound of my own voice later in life.

I love how silly the transformers-wiki people are with the picture captions.

1 hour ago, XoPachi said:

Once again, I am ashamed in you maggots.

No word on Transformers.

13 hours ago, Vae said:

Some Beast Wars.

BeastWars_Transmetal2_Cheetor.jpgBWQuickstrike.jpgdinobot1-51334-1300-1300-90-wm-left_top-100-Unicroncomwatermarkpng.jpg

I had that last one :D

14 hours ago, LadyRadarEars said:

Legos, army men, transformers toys, and hot wheels when I was younger, also k'nex. First video game systems were NES and SNES, while my mom preferred her sega genesis/saturn, although mostly the latter cuz it had the new sim city game while I was trying to figure out the one on SNES. She used to have an old mac with a marvel animation studio thing sorta like mario paint though I could never really figure it out :V

Later on as I was growing up it was still mostly legos and such, with nerf guns being added in, and lots of game systems. Gameboys, N64 and ps1, with a gamecube coming much later. My sister got a laptop computer before I did, and we didn't get a desktop til much later.

SO MUCH POKEMON AND TRANSFORMERS IN MY CHILDHOOD.

¬¬

War Planets? Anyone else?

The Beast Planet

2e042a3088b5be0165f76582d0b4788d.jpg

And a bunch of smaller ones.

1297555358211.jpg

These things were my absolute favourite toys when I was younger, and I still have fond memories of that lame Shadowraiders show that was based off them. If I had known anything at all about what nostalgia was when I was eight years old, I would have made damn sure to keep my collection of these things somewhere secure. ;n;

• Like 1