Study Finds That Cat Owners Are More Likely To Cheat On Their SOs Than Dog Owners

Socketosis

Shots fired!

If you own a dog, you’re less likely to cheat on a partner than if you own a cat.

So claims Illicit Encounters, the dating site for married people and self-styled “leading authority on infidelity”, which recently surveyed 700 its own members to find out what pets they own.

They found that just 10 per cent of those surveyed were dog owners, while 25 per cent owned cats.

“There has already been a plethora of scientific studies that claim that owning a dog, or dogs, makes you happier and healthier, and now you can add loyalty to that list,” said spokesman Christian Grant.

“It’s an interesting, if not unexpected result. Man’s best friend is the UK’s most popular pet, and has been for a very long time, but not among this particular community it seems.

“A dog’s qualities are usually reflected in their owner, and loyalty, unconditional love, friendship and a sense of protectiveness are qualities that everyone associates with canines, regardless of their size, breed or gender.

“By the same token, a cat’s loyalty is a little more unclear. Often lazy, they’ve been known to drift to whomever is offering them more food, so it’s of little surprise to see that lack of loyalty reflected in our study.”

16 per cent of respondents owned fish, 13 per cent hamsters or gerbils, 11 per cent rabbits and 11 per cent  reptiles.

Earlier this year a study by researchers at Manhattanville College, New York, found that dog owners are happier, more conscientious and less neurotic than cat owners.

The study, Is Happiness a Warm Puppy? Examining the Relationship between Pets and Well-Being, investigated the relationship between pet ownership and subjective well-being,

"Dog owners were happier than cat owners,” the report said, “which can be partially explained by personality, emotion regulation style, and need satisfaction."

A separate study found that cat owners earn less, and have fewer friends, than those who have dogs.

Even if the cat owner is never caught, they'll still get divorced when they stop having buttered potatoes together.

Screen-Shot-2014-05-09-at-9.47.38-AM-685

(in other news, correlation =/= causation)

EDIT: I read this graph wrong. Divorce is going down as people stop eating margarine. That actually would make more sense.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Vae said:

Wow, it's almost like a personality type that doesn't lean towards strong commitment isn't going to want an animal that's high-commitment.

What a scientific breakthrough.

Well it is the internet, and internet is practically synonymous with "Never learning anything."

So its constantly discovering new things!

And then forgetting them.

Like when I buy five packs of gum and then find the fifth pack two weeks later somewhere, even though I thought I ate them all.

Just now, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

Well it is the internet, and internet is practically synonymous with "Never learning anything."

Really? I learn a lot on these forums alone!

Now, they might not necessarily be things I want to know, but that's another matter altogether.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sir Gibby said:

i wonder what they say about monitor lizard owners

People say pet owners are like their pets and if you take a lizard as an example, the owner of the lizard is a passive sloth, living in a highly confined and small squared room, sleeps most of its days, likes to be in a warm place such as under blanket and only gets up to eat drink and shit

Anyone got a correlation graph for this obviously scientific fact? 

:V

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Snagged Cub said:

People say pet owners are like their pets and if you take a lizard as an example, the owner of the lizard is a passive sloth, living in a highly confined and small squared room, sleeps most of its days, likes to be in a warm place such as under blanket and only gets up to eat drink and shit

Anyone got a correlation graph for this obviously scientific fact? 

:V

no, no, that's quite accurate

• Like 2