General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

I thought that you guys would find it amusing to know that Australian teenagers will soon be required to learn about 'Hegemonic masculinity'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-37640353

For those who don't know, 'Hegemonic' means 'to be of the ruling class', but I gather more commonplace synonyms like 'dominance' or 'supremacy' don't sound sufficiently menacing and academic.

At first I thought the video was hilarious. But now I'm pissed off. Why? That man was arrested and jailed for that video.

The UK is a fucking joke nowadays. They wonder why Brexit and the "alt-right" happened. Well, this is why.

I'm starting to understand why Brits can't comprehend things like the Second Amendment -- they have no fucking clue what a right really is; they only have privileges.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victor-933 said:

At first I thought the video was hilarious. But now I'm pissed off. Why? That man was arrested and jailed for that video.

The UK is a fucking joke nowadays. They wonder why Brexit and the "alt-right" happened. Well, this is why.

I'm starting to understand why Brits can't comprehend things like the Second Amendment -- they have no fucking clue what a right really is; they only have privileges.

While I agree that arresting somebody over a joke is ridiculous, I think the rest of your comment is a stretch and condescending as fuck.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Endless/Nameless said:

Well you're the one who's always "politely" shitting on the US so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think the last negative view I expressed about the USA was that political issues of little significance often eclipse important matters.

If you follow the political discussion between America's candidates you'll see that's more or less a reasonable position; email servers and tax returns from 18 years ago are often discussed in more detail than pressing matters like the changing climate or energy policy.

Do I lament that it's 'no wonder the tiny americuck mind can't understand nuanced political positions' or some bullshit like that? No, because that would be fucking ridiculous.

Not to mention all the positive views I have about the USA such as their stellar research footprint, lack of a friggin' queen, and enviable protection of free speech.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saxon said:

I think the last negative view I expressed about the USA was that political issues of little significance often eclipse important matters.

If you follow the political discussion between America's candidates you'll see that's more or less a reasonable position; email servers and tax returns from 18 years ago are often discussed in more detail than pressing matters like the changing climate or energy policy.

Do I lament that it's 'no wonder the tiny americuck mind can't understand nuanced political positions' or some bullshit like that? No, because that would be fucking ridiculous.

Not to mention all the positive views I have about the USA such as their stellar research footprint, lack of a friggin' queen, and enviable protection of free speech.

Lmao 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Victor-933 said:

The story about the neighbor is confusing to me. She got charged with a hate crime for yelling "Nazi bastard!" but didn't get charged for rubbing dog shit all over his door and welcome mat...

16 hours ago, Osrik said:

I have decended upon LA, prepare in the coming days for commentary on the poor quality of California pizza and other weighty topics...

tmp_6503-20161015_213555-1073980198.jpg

In many ways, I liked it a lot better than SF, which has turned really, really obnoxious since all the Silicon Valley money moved in; LA actually seemed less pretentious, had some amazing art deco/mid-century era architecture, great vintage clothing, and some well preserved Tiki-Tiki rooms. I also found it a bit friendlier than SF, which seemed to have this 'too cool for school' attitude, going on. The traffic wasn't much fun, there. though. I thought I'd hate LA, but I actually would like to visit it and the area again; Ventura is really nice, if ya can make it up there, and Santa Barbara is this botanically lush gem, where they grow money on trees. Have fun out there! Plus, cute surfers galore. Head on up to Pismo Beah, way cool old beach-town, but a good ways up, almost to San Luis Opisbo.

There's a squirrel in my ceiling halp!!

Full story, I have a tile ceiling in my bedroom for some reason (there seems to be some sort of plumbing above it). Squirrel seems to be trapped in there, I saw his face. I have no idea how to get him out or anything.

Where's Squirrel Girl or Kronk when you need them?

I'm figuring how to get my godawful maths teacher off my course and replaced with one who doesn't make me do the same work twice and is not fresh from university.

Aparenty he doesn't even have a PGCE, which is what the vast majority of teaching jobs require. Based on this I think the reason he wanted the graph question not on log-log paper is because he doesn't even know how to read from such paper.

Best thing for him is to get moved into the college GCSE department or to go entirely. 

Observations from my California expedition:

The prevalence of faux Mediterranean architecture here is interesting; even chains like McDonald's sport Spanish style tiled roofs,with probably over 3/4 of all the buildings in the town I am staying in (Camarillo) having them. It does seem to be a more upscale area, so that is probably part of it, but i am still surprised by how uniformly popular this one architectural style seems to be.

Halloween and Autumn decorations seem really out of place alongside palm trees and warm weather.

The mountains here are really astounding to me, while I have seen many mountains back east, the way these ones constantly dominate much of the horizon against otherwise flat terrain really stands out and at times seems almost unreal.

I have tried the pizza from a decent Italian restaurant here. It was rather strange; the base was overly bready and fluffy (though not in the way a Sicilian is), while the sauce was somewhat watery and closer to tomato paste than proper pizza sauce. The cheese was continually battling me to slide off the pizza, so I had to eat it with a fork and knife. Overall, not too bad tasting, but it was not really good as pizza, requiring utensils and being off in quite a few ways.

18 hours ago, Sourdough said:

Get a churro and tell me what it's like, I'm curious.

I've had them before; they are basically cinnamon sugar donuts in stick form, so pretty good.

6 hours ago, Fossa-Boy said:

In many ways, I liked it a lot better than SF, which has turned really, really obnoxious since all the Silicon Valley money moved in; LA actually seemed less pretentious, had some amazing art deco/mid-century era architecture, great vintage clothing, and some well preserved Tiki-Tiki rooms. I also found it a bit friendlier than SF, which seemed to have this 'too cool for school' attitude, going on. The traffic wasn't much fun, there. though. I thought I'd hate LA, but I actually would like to visit it and the area again; Ventura is really nice, if ya can make it up there, and Santa Barbara is this botanically lush gem, where they grow money on trees. Have fun out there! Plus, cute surfers galore. Head on up to Pismo Beah, way cool old beach-town, but a good ways up, almost to San Luis Opisbo.

I don't think I will actually get much of a chance to explore LA itself; I'm here visiting family and they have an extreme distaste for the city itself (I'm staying with them in Camarillo), so I am unlikely to be going there before my return flight. I ate lunch on the Ventura waterfront today, it did seem like a pretty cool place, hopefully I will get to explore more of it in the coming days.

• Like 2

My computer broke down. The motherboard got fried. It's old and you can't buy it's type anymore. To top it off, because it's casings are also old type, it means the memory cards and CPU is also practically junk, since they don't fit in any other, newer motherboard. And to top that off I'm financially too broke to buy the new parts all together.

Unless a miracle happens, I won't be really in touch anymore, for a long, long time. Sorry guys.

Might occasionally check in through this old laptop, but it's also far too old to not overheat after twenty minutes.

Just now, Recel said:

My computer broke down. The motherboard got fried. It's old and you can't buy it's type anymore. To top it off, because it's casings are also old type, it means the memory cards and CPU is also practically junk, since they don't fit in any other, newer motherboard. And to top that off I'm financially too broke to buy the new parts all together.

Unless a miracle happens, I won't be really in touch anymore, for a long, long time. Sorry guys.

I noticed you had been gone for a couple days, I wondered about you.

I hope we can hear from you again not too far in the future! Stay safe and such.

5 hours ago, Recel said:

Might occasionally check in through this old laptop, but it's also far too old to not overheat after twenty minutes.

That's horrible!! 
I had noticed you hadn't came online in a few days; I was getting kinda concerned...
That's gonna really stink for you, especially if you can't draw; I hope you do alright...
I'm just gonna hope for the best. :c

• Like 1

Squirrel was gone last night. I banged on the ceiling with a pole in a lot of spots and didn't hear a thing. So either it died up there, which is unlikely but I hope not, or it escaped the same way it came in.

I didn't see any holes around my unit on the first floor, but I saw a large hole in the eaves on the second floor of the building. So the next time I catch maintenance I'll let them know and point out the hole.

Edit: It's gonna be in the mother fucking 80s tomorrow? Sweet Heyzeus!

13 hours ago, Recel said:

used thinkpads are usually pr cheap and good

• Like 4

I'm surprised at how much people are freaking out about the scrapping of a variety of mundane A-level subjects that I never knew existed. The guardian seems to be wailing the most about it out of all the papers for some reason.

Then again the guardian thinks brexit is the beginning of end of the world

There's an event going on at my uni accommodation on Friday. A military themed drinking session. For which we have to bring:

-8 cans of beer
-3 litres of Frosty Jacks 7.5% Cider
-Military gear
-A green bin to drink it all from

It's like regular drinking except more expensive, shouty, and you have to keep a green bin afterwards. It doesn't even sound fun
But I'm going anyway because I don't wanna look like a loser

I want you all to make a wish for me-
that I don't literally die before the weekend
Kay, thanks

51 minutes ago, DrDingo said:

There's an event going on at my uni accommodation on Friday. A military themed drinking session. For which we have to bring:

-8 cans of beer
-Military gear

It's like regular drinking except more expensive, shouty, and you have to keep a green bin afterwards. It doesn't even sound fun

Kay, thanks

If you really don't want to go, don't go just because you don't want to look like a loser. They'll understand if you want skip this one. But do follow up with them to see how it went, afterwards and show that your still interested in having fun.

Either way, good luck and don't die! XP

• Like 1

The USS Detroit, a cLittoral combat ship, is docked in Detroit to be commissioned. I assume it's like a giant red eraser with red flaps flowing behind it?

In all seriousness there are tours tomorrow, first come first serve, but since it's been advertised to death in the local news there's probably a line 10 miles long by the time I get there. Not sure I want to go or not. 30 minute drive... for nothing?

8 hours ago, DrDingo said:

-8 cans of beer
-Military gear

Kay, thanks

Ah, peer pressue. 

Want to know what a loser looks like? It's someone with low self esteem puking into a green bin because they feel like they need to fit in. 

Only do what you feel like. Don't get sick and puke just because other people want you to. I mean if you want to then go for it. 

I hope you don't die. You're one of my favourite people. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Victor-933 said:

9OKg6vy.png

Well, fuck you too then, YouTube.

My dad was shot in the face once with a potassium cyanide pellet. It's neutralized in water (in normal amounts). Pretty handy to know if you're ever exposed to the stuff, it can be washed off if it doesn't get into your eyes, mouth, or nose.

• Like 1

things that are kind of strange

i needed sleep but also needed to keep working so i compromised and ordered food to take a nap. my roommates were upset that i had been forgetting to turn the lights off so i turned them off while waiting. then the food arrived, but i fell asleep again (fortunately with the lights off) and then woke up and ate the rest of my takeout.

so in other words my breakfast was at 5am, on the couch, and it was lukewarm soda and half a chicken burrito.

i feel like my habits may need some moderate adjustment.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, evan said:

i needed sleep but also needed to keep working so i compromised and ordered food to take a nap. my roommates were upset that i had been forgetting to turn the lights off so i turned them off while waiting. then the food arrived, but i fell asleep again (fortunately with the lights off) and then woke up and ate the rest of my takeout.

so in other words my breakfast was at 5am, on the couch, and it was lukewarm soda and half a chicken burrito.

Yes!

12 hours ago, evan said:

that is teen as hell good work

thats not an insult btw, with my 9-5, nerd glasses, and receding hairline im basically normie dad alpha

• Like 2

• Vae pinned this topic