What Gets You Down?

DrGravitas

ok i'll bite but u better not make fun of me >:^(

seeing videos of people getting pets for christmas, or excited dogs greeting their owners after a long absence, or just pet videos in general gets me down because i really want my cat and doggos but i can't afford them and don't even have my own house anyway.  but i can't stop watching them because they're cute.

the same is starting to happen with children tbh.  maybe worse, because while i'll probably be able to have pets one day, i don't think i'll ever have kids.

mostly what gets me down is myself.  like, allowing myself to become aware of what i look like, what i sound like, where my life is, my state of health, and the apparent direction of my future (or lack thereof).  the thought that i'll probably never be who i want to be and the realization that i don't currently see myself as a real person at all.  i've gotten pretty good at not acknowledging myself as an entity, because i know the current "me" most people see isn't the real me. it's something that doesn't exist.

also loneliness.  this partly stems from the above, and also just the fact that my life has landed me in a place where the only people who are always there are the ones i want nothing to do with.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Saxon said:

Originality award.

It's all good Saxon, I was originally going to go with 'the higgs bozon' but I figured that may be a bit too obscure and possibly controversial.  But at the end of the day nothing is really original anyway.  Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.  I made that one up on the spot, cleaver eh? ;)  

• Like 1

Looking at Trump's cabinet picks, and noting that they are almost entirely billionaires, CEOs, Wall Street Insiders, and Washington wheelers and dealers ...and that people were actually stupid enough to believe he'd appoint people who would support the interests of the average, working American. It makes me sad to think how this slew of appointments is the richest in history, and is going to be looking out for the interests of big oil, big banks, and big business; and how the labor secretary doesn't believe in either minimum wage, or over-time pay. This is going to be an ugly four years.

• Like 7

The darkness and loneliness of the early hours (which I call my 4AM existential crises), in which I involuntarily contemplate things that scare and depress me, until I force my mind to think better thoughts, leading me into a dream-filled slumber for a good 5-8 hours. Never more, never less.

Also worrying about offending and ruining the relationships with those I love.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Looking at Trump's cabinet picks, and noting that they are almost entirely billionaires, CEOs, Wall Street Insiders, and Washington wheelers and dealers ...and that people were actually stupid enough to believe he'd appoint people who would support the interests of the average, working American. It makes me sad to think how this slew of appointments is the richest in history, and is going to be looking out for the interests of big oil, big banks, and big business; and how the labor secretary doesn't believe in either minimum wage, or over-time pay. This is going to be an ugly four years.

His die hard supporters that I have spoken with still believe he's acting in their best interest.

...the term 'cucked' comes to mind.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Saxon said:

His die hard supporters that I have spoken with still believe he's acting in their best interest.

...the term 'cucked' comes to mind.

i dont know about you, but id rather have ExxonMobile CEOs running my EPA than having someone who gets their emails hacked from private servers by russians who the CIA suspect were trying to influence the election

also she ran a child smuggling ring, so, you know

look, I'm not saying hillary is literally hitler, but if you actually read the emails you'll rapidly discover that there's nothing actually in there, and instead of reading through the massive pile of banal bureaucratic nonsense that were the emails, supporters instead focused on the important things. like posting frog memes, MAGA, and those stupid poland flag balls. you know, the real policy makers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FlynnCoyote said:

Wondering what will end first, myself or my ambitions. 

Oh Flynn. :c

To answer this seriously, your ambitions are probably going to be replaced with new ones in the future, and when those winds change you might find that your new direction makes you happier.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2016 at 11:02 AM, Saxon said:

Painting, because I know that however hard I try, some scribble by a popular artist will get a hundred times more traffic.

All this has ever gotten me is rude and reprehensible people begging me for free art.

You should draw for your own enjoyment and fulfillment, and not judge it off traffic.

I don't write poems for traffic, because Lawd knows the Writers Bloc is dustier and more underused than my handwriting. 

I write them because I enjoy them, because it's expression. There'll always be poets more popular, more renowned and beloved, but I don't care.

5 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Politics actually legit makes me sad :^)

My friend said the exact same thing today :v

Oooookay fine I'll bite. 

What gets me down is thinking about how thing much I've changed, and a complete loss of innocence I'll never have again.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

My father just texted me to let me know the family dog is in the veterinary hospital over kidney issues, from age and possibly cancer :(

My condolences

If you want a lasting memento of him/her, you can have the paw of the dog imprinted on a plaster cast. That's what I did with one of my dogs RIP Sandy

I think now's the good time to do so and spend some time with the dog. It could be your last

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Snagged Cub said:

My condolences

If you want a lasting memento of him/her, you can have the paw of the dog imprinted on a plaster cast. That's what I did with one of my dogs RIP Sandy

I think now's the good time to do so and spend some time with the dog. It could be your last

I live a fair bit away from the family home and really don't have time to visit this week, unfortunately. I'm off work next week, though. As sad as it is for me, it's much harder on my younger sibling who is closer to (and still living with) the dog. I do think I'll pass the suggestion on to them, however, thanks.

5 hours ago, Jerry said:

My origins, and especially other's perception of it.

I'd be much more enthusiastic about the whole Canadian thing if it weren't for the fear of being shat on gratuitously in return.

Speaking of Canada and origins, my great grandfather was a random sailor on a Canadian merchant ship.

I don't even know his name!

You should draw for your own enjoyment and fulfillment

Welp, guess I'll stop then.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jerry said:

My origins, and especially other's perception of it.

I'd be much more enthusiastic about the whole Canadian thing if it weren't for the fear of being shat on gratuitously in return.

I guess I'm lucky my dad's side of the family is entirely Scottish blood. Clan MacMillan for the win.

Apparently the Baxter family spreads far and wide and has people from different clans and shit too. Pretty cool stuff, even though most I have never met.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LazerMaster5 said:

I guess I'm lucky my dad's side of the family is entirely Scottish blood. Clan MacMillan for the win.

Apparently the Baxter family spreads far and wide and has people from different clans and shit too. Pretty cool stuff, even though most I have never met.

Oh.

I live pretty close to where both my mom's and my dad's families have been living all the way since their ancestor's arrival in the 1600s. But my grandmother on my father's side was Acadian, and of... well, Irish descent. 

Yup, Irish.

Hopefully it won't end up like this:

ireland_vs_scotland_by_ameba_son.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Jerry said:

Oh.

I live pretty close to where both my mom's and my dad's families have been living all the way since their ancestor's arrival in the 1600s. But my grandmother on my father's side was Acadian, and of... well, Irish descent. 

Yup, Irish.

Hopefully it won't end up like this:

ireland_vs_scotland_by_ameba_son.jpg

Probably not, since haggis is illegal in the United States.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Ah. Just learned something.

Though the reasons for banning it don't seem that clear.

It's not legal, per-say, to have. It's illegal to import from the UK, because it's traditionally made with sheep lung, which is banned by the FDA. Instead Scottish US companies make it the same, without the sheep lung, and the casing is artificial.

• Like 1