People who can only talk about one topic

MissFleece

That smiley is making me laugh way too hard!

OT: I have some experience with people like that. Sometimes I feel my best friend gets that way with Rooster Teeth... He's such a fanboy over them. It must run in the family, because his brother is the same way with Fall Out Boy. I just... I just accept it. It's not too bad, otherwise we wouldn't be pals.

We're not talking about @Cyberra right? She and her addiction to pokebreeding earn her a spot as "The Hardcore"

Nope, not me. I'm in the ass-end of nowhere, not taking classes, and rarely talk to anyone offline. Though I will take the second comment as a compliment, lol.

Could be worse... a few years ago my only topic was Transformers. It's since expanded to include Halo and pokemon. And don't get me started on books.

I mean, he's listening to music at loud volume while in class? xD

I KNEWWW I wasn't the only one thinking this! D:

I have never been able to look at castform without snickering.

I've always been obsessive, ever since I was little. My sister always yelled at me for it so I feel ashamed for it.

You know what, be obsessive. It is better to obsess over something and actually do stuff, even if it is just related to that, than do nothing. I do nothing. I think you lose everything when you can't obsess over things anymore.

Let that guy talk about Pøkëmõn, he may annoy people, but god damn it, at least he feels. Feelings.

well i am kinda obsessive about a couple of things but atleast it turned into a couple of things over the years. must have been horrible talking to me back then i got my first pkmn game. i feel sry for everybody who didn't gave a damn bout it and wanted to talk with me. it was horrible how much i was into that stuff and i talked about nothing else anymore. ._."

I used to be like this up until my mid-teens but I grew up.

Then I made a friend who never shut the fuck up about tech, he would constantly phone call me and drone on about articles about cell phones and shit, no regard for privacy whatsoever, I felt like I was borderline stalked and had to cut things short. >w<

...Maybe I haven't changed, I often talk about how depressed I am these days but I'm working to improve myself there.

I can sympathize with the singular subject speakers because its either that or nothing sometimes ^^;

Although I consider my interests eclectic I do have obsessive tendencies in particular subjects and if I felt people could handle me talking about stuff I would go on about them, but clearly they cant. So instead I go find other weirdoes with the same interest (online, typically) nonstop talk about particular subjects on!

The worst part about making friends on one subject though is when you run out of that subject theres nothing else to talk of and you kind of stumble through whatever conversational piece possible and its just unsettling. So little tip: Dont do this as a sole form of friendship unless you have multiple interests to share

There's this one guy in my friend group at class whoa ONLY talks about pokemon. Only pokemon, nothing else. Not the weather, or how they're doing today. Right now he's listening to the pkemon rap on repeat on high volume. I hate my life. 

Please save me. 

ooh! Do link me!

nice try, dijon is a mustard, you don't even have LEGS

Why can't he be a ketchup, I want to try 'all the fanciest Dijon ketchups' lmao

There was a furry I roomed with at Anthrocon 2007. He and I talked online up until this point and had planned to go to Anthrocon a year and a half in advance. We went, I went up a few days early because I rented a car for one day like Wednesday before the con to sight-see in the area. He came up that evening. He was really, really into some shitty table top game I don't remember its name and I don't care, and had all of his stuff with him to go and play it at the convention. I admire the pieces. It is painting, and finishing, and shading and highlighting. Painting the game pieces is a work of art. And I made the mistake of admiring the works he had done on those pieces and commenting on how good I thought they looked. 

I would have given my left arm to have the phone ring or a fire alarm go off or a knock at my room door, ANYTHING to make that guy shut up about the game. I couldn't possibly have cared less about the game, the gameplay or even Table top RP's at all for that matter. And he went into excruciating details about it. He talked about friends at his Air Force base that played it, how they played, what their strategies were. 

And I have sat through week long seminars for work wherein teamwork skills comparing people who rate as leaders, influencers, organizers, or quiet get-it-finished types and how each contributes to the team. Or day long safety protocols and safety meetings about chemical hygiene, PPE and risk mitigation. None were half as boring as this furry was.

It was all I could do, not to take the hotel room waste-basket, up-end it over my head and whack it with a hanger from the closet with my head and face inside it, just to pound out his carrying on about that INSIPID game for the near three hours he talked about it. As boring and painful as I found it, he was having the time of his life explaining how these dreadnought game pieces took so many hit points, the towers took so many hit points and the hit points they dealt back.  

Another room mate made the mistake of asking him about six hours later after he had arrived and again it went. Thank GOD by then I had a quart of Jack Daniel's whiskey and a few bottles of Coca-cola. I turned on the TV, watched Die Hard and drank whiskey the second time through it.

And the other day my brother and I went to his community college. I needed to find out about my old transcripts there to get copies from my time there Fall of 98 to Spring of 2000. I was in the student center waiting on my brother's welding class to finish and I overheard a gaggle of geeks behind me just going on and on and OOOOONNN about Pokemon on their Nintendo DS's. I was stunned because It did not sound like adults talking. It sounded like 12 year old kids talking. I had to stop and think and remember these are 19-22 year old adults talking like this. I just shrugged and continued working on the calculations I was working on. It almost scared me to think that one day the country would be in their care.

• Like 1

It sounded like 12 year old kids talking. I had to stop and think and remember these are 19-22 year old adults talking like this. I just shrugged and continued working on the calculations I was working on. It almost scared me to think that one day the country would be in their care.

Oh, c'mon. You really don't think past generations didn't talk about comic books, radio shows, billiards, hoop and stick, flint axes, whatever the hell was popular when they were kids with such obsession? Being a responsible adult and having childish interests are not mutually exclusive.

• Like 1

Oh, c'mon. You really don't think past generations didn't talk about comic books, radio shows, billiards, hoop and stick, flint axes, whatever the hell was popular when they were kids with such obsession? Being a responsible adult and having childish interests are not mutually exclusive.

I suppose you are right. The only time I have really talked about anything with that level of excitement was over trucks. engines, axles, suspension, horsepower-parts, large tires, modification, off-road driving, and 4x4's. Most of my friends liked building small cars built for speed too. I spent a lot of time in their garages fixing up their machines too. So i guess for me it was automotive performance.

I have heard people my age and older comparing the abilities, strength, strength of character etc. In useless discussions about who would win in a fight, Superman or Batman. Often, I would turn around and walk the other way. those conversations do really exist and they do exist among people with educations like the characters in Big Bang Theory

You are right, Childish Interests and being responsible are not necessarily mutually exclusive. The problem lies in how obsessed they are or not. These students behind me sounded obsessed with the way they were carrying on. Admittedly, it was during break and they were cutting loose between classes. I finally asked them if they were a part of an on campus Pokemon club. They told me they weren't but I could see that more than one of them really liked the idea. I also asked if they ever played the card game. They told me no. Then they asked me if I played any of it. I told them I used to play the card game when I lived with my now current ex-girlfriend and that we liked it because we went to two leagues a week and it got us out of the house without spending a lot of money. But I could tell they were trying to do streetpasses and stuff on those DS's and battles. I felt like I was distracting them.

Edited by Skylar Husky
  • Like 1

I suppose you are right. The only time I have really talked about anything with that level of excitement was over trucks. engines, axles, suspension, horsepower-parts, large tires, modification, off-road driving, and 4x4's. Most of my friends liked building small cars built for speed too. I spent a lot of time in their garages fixing up their machines too. So i guess for me it was automotive performance.

I have heard people my age and older comparing the abilities, strength, strength of character etc. In useless discussions about who would win in a fight, Superman or Batman. Often, I would turn around and walk the other way. those conversations do really exist and they do exist among people with educations like the characters in Big Bang Theory

You are right, Childish Interests and being responsible are not necessarily mutually exclusive. The problem lies in how obsessed they are or not. These students behind me sounded obsessed with the way they were carrying on. Admittedly, it was during break and they were cutting loose between classes. I finally asked them if they were a part of an on campus Pokemon club. They told me they weren't but I could see that more than one of them really liked the idea. I also asked if they ever played the card game. They told me no. Then they asked me if I played any of it. I told them I used to play the card game when I lived with my now current ex-girlfriend and that we liked it because we went to two leagues a week and it got us out of the house without spending a lot of money. But I could tell they were trying to do streetpasses and stuff on those DS's and battles. I felt like I was distracting them.

this sounds exactly like the guys I hang out with...you don't go to kvcc do you?

You can have childish or silly interests or hobbies, as long as you also have a larger sense of perspective on how those things fit into your life and into the grand scheme of the universe, and are capable of "adulting" when called upon to do so.

If you sound like the characters from Our Valued Customers on a regular basis, you're a man-child (or woman-child) who desperately needs to get a real life and a real clue.

If you un-ironically sound like someone debating the morality of torture or drone strikes when ranting about Jar-Jar Binks, Kirk vs. Picard, Batman vs. Superman, or continuity or colouring errors in comic books, you need to re-evaluate your life.

• Like 2

If you un-ironically sound like someone debating the morality of torture or drone strikes when ranting about Jar-Jar Binks, Kirk vs. Picard, Batman vs. Superman, or continuity or colouring errors in comic books, you need to re-evaluate your life.

Impossible. Nobody is as resigned to the inevitability of those things as they are torture and drone strikes.

There's this one guy in my friend group at class whoa ONLY talks about pokemon. Only pokemon, nothing else. Not the weather, or how they're doing today. Right now he's listening to the pkemon rap on repeat on high volume. I hate my life. 

Please save me. 

Sounds like this manchild, neckbeard sporting twit I went to university with that only ever talked about Sonic, or would switch it up occasionally and talk about his rip off comic of Fullmetal Alchemist, which had the illustration skill of a 7th grader that just discovered anime. 4yrs in university and his skill level never really changed, unless bad shading gradients and completely bastardizing the illustration boards he used count.

People say my obsession is childish and creepy. Pizza Place Animatronics. Showbiz Pizza and Chuck E. Cheese. Big, anthro robots singing songs and doing skits for the family. Now I know why I don't have many friends.

I heard you like Pizza Place animatronics.

maxresdefault.jpg

Sounds like this manchild, neckbeard sporting twit I went to university with that only ever talked about Sonic, or would switch it up occasionally and talk about his rip off comic of Fullmetal Alchemist, which had the illustration skill of a 7th grader that just discovered anime. 4yrs in university and his skill level never really changed, unless bad shading gradients and completely bastardizing the illustration boards he used count.

I heard you like Pizza Place animatronics.

maxresdefault.jpg

originaljoke.exe

I like to talk about good posting.

I went from being "the obsessive" as a kid to "ex-player" to "relapsed fan" so idk I guess I broke this detailed and highly scientific infographic.

Same.
Although I'm not so much relapsed fan as I am somewhere between ex-player and relapsed.

I draw the fucking lings a lot and ramble about them on my Tumblr here or there,
but I don't really think I go on about them too much in conversation?
I make odd jokes, and retain my shitty avatars and such, but that's about it.

I'm not used to people I know sharing my interests,
so it was never really a thing to me.