Rant: Bisexual Erasure

Ok, I've noticed this a lot recently.

Whenever there's a character on a TV show or a movie or whatever, and they look at the same sex in a lusty way or whatever, people online get on their blogs or whatever and do this shit:

"OMG LOOK AT MY ADORABLE LESBIAN/GAY BABY LOOK AT THEM MORE LESBIAN/GAY CHARACTERS YAAAAAS!!!"

This pisses me off. Why? Because I don't see many bisexual headcanons, and I rarely ever see any canonically bisexual characters. It's frustrating, because I feel like us bifags get the short end of the stick in the LGBT. We get erased a lot. Plus, I've heard some radfems and such say that bisexuals aren't part of the LGBT if they date someone of the opposite sex. Suddenly, if you date someone of the opposite sex, your attraction to the same gender is nonexistant and you are no longer part of the LGBT. Kill me.

• Like 6

But Erasure is openly gay, not bi. *shot*

I agree though, I do feel like too often LGBT characters are portrayed as "GAY ALL THE WAY" instead of a regular bi person. I guess that's just media not adjusting to social change quickly.

• Like 3

Bisexuals aren't a part of LGBT? 

Its, uh... In the name. 

Also, I feel like there's very few bisexual characters for the simple reason that gays and lesbians are more polarizing and therefore interesting. I'd find it harder to make a bisexual character interesting. This is coming from a bisexual/pansexual/whatever the sexual I'm supposed to be. 

Its why I was SO FUCKING STOKED about how Legend of Korra ended. BISEXUAL KORRA/ASAMI YES. 

I'd like to see more Bi people, seriously. It'd make me feel less weird. 

4 minutes ago, Lemon said:

Its why I was SO FUCKING STOKED about how Legend of Korra ended. BISEXUAL KORRA/ASAMI YES. 

I'd like to see more Bi people, seriously. It'd make me feel less weird. 

That was totally ruined for me by a dude on a website I went on who was extremely obsessed with that ship. He constantly posted disturbing fetish art of Korra dressed as a maid making mayo sandwiches for Asami.

1 hour ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

That was totally ruined for me by a dude on a website I went on who was extremely obsessed with that ship. He constantly posted disturbing fetish art of Korra dressed as a maid making mayo sandwiches for Asami.

That reminds of an "artist" named Tom Preston who also was obsessed with the korrasami ship. The man pretty much hid his lesbian fetish behind a wall of "social progressiveness".

Now, let's look at some of his korrasami "art"!

korrawedding_by_tompreston-d8dh6ya.jpg

image_by_tompreston-d8ghti2.jpg

pai_sho_with_iroh_by_tompreston-d8bdu9a.jpg

mssato_by_tompreston-d8bnjo9.jpg

Does this do it for any y'all?

Just watched "The girl with the dragon tattoo" series, and both in the books and movies they do a good job of portraying Lisbeth Salander as bisexual, in which it explicitly states it as well as showing her relation to Mikael and her girlfriend. Good stuff. And probably one of the few forms of media that effectively shows this, and without detracting too much from the focus by putting  all of the spotlights on BAM BILESBIANHETERO

Overall though, if a show can insert a characters sexuality when relevant (odds are it'll be relevant at some point if a show is going to portray all sides of a character and their experiences and intersctions), without shoving it in there to be PC and popular then all the more power

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rabbit Head said:

That reminds of an "artist" named Tom Preston who also was obsessed with the korrasami ship. The man pretty much hid his lesbian fetish behind a wall of "social progressiveness".

korrawedding_by_tompreston-d8dh6ya.jpg

image_by_tompreston-d8ghti2.jpg

pai_sho_with_iroh_by_tompreston-d8bdu9a.jpg

mssato_by_tompreston-d8bnjo9.jpg

So is your entire post sarcastic? because these are cute pictures

...I feel bad for having to ask that

6 hours ago, Rabbit Head said:

>Tom Preston

He never hid his lesbian fetish...like ever. After all he is the man who gave us the infamous "lesbian kick".

• Like 1

I have found that dating sites often neglect to include an option to say "interested in women and men" and you have to pick one or the other. Somewhat bothersome.

3 minutes ago, DevilBear said:

Bisexuality is the half-failed result of praying the gay away. You just can't stop praying the gay away half way through to order chinese delivery and think you can pick it right back up where you left off.

>food analogies

• Like 1

You can't visually represent bisexuality in a picture unless there are three people involved
And love stories tend to be between two people, y'know?

Look at it positively: Both gay and straight love stories have bisexual appeal

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DrDingo said:

You can't visually represent bisexuality in a picture unless there are three people involved
And love stories tend to be between two people, y'know?

Look at it positively: Both gay and straight love stories have bisexual appeal

I guess it's more about the idea of a character being bi than actually seeing it

For example, Piper from Orange is the New Black is canonically bisexual, but most people see her as either a lesbian or straight. Not both

Same with Korra. 

14 hours ago, #00Buck said:

Openly gay Erasure from the 80's.

I was a huge fan of this song when it first came out.  I had no idea it was pro gay and I don't think most kids did either.It doesn't matter.   Good post!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yarra said:

I was a huge fan of this song when it first came out.  I had no idea it was pro gay and I don't think most kids did either.It doesn't matter.   Good post!

I also loved this song when it its came out. I know it was super gay at the time too. It is a classic though. 

I have it on my MP3 player in the car and I blast it and sing along while I'm driving. Such a great song.

I wish I could hit the high notes but I can't. I just don't have the voice for it. 

I've noticed this trend among fandoms. Fandoms love their gay/lesbian ships, so the possibility of bisexuality just doesn't seem to cross their minds. I think a lot of that has to do with just a lack of understanding towards bisexuality in general, it tends to get mixed reception among LGBTQ+ communities and such.

I've also noticed this can also be applied to asexuality as well. I can't think of many "asexual" characters that aren't just robots or plants or something.

But I digress.

19 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Nope, of course, those characters you two posted above aren't even fucking bisexual, they're pansexual. Even fucking pansexuality gets more exposure than bisexuality. It's so upsetting.

Sorry.

Honestly, I disagree and I'm glad that people don't have butloads of "bisexual" ocs. It'd only make bis look terrible.

Being bisexual is complicating anyways, if you're in a hetero relationship you'll be straight for a while. If you're in a homo relationship you'll go gay for awhile. If you're single then it's eh. The only way I could see a character's sexuality in that sense even being noticeable would be if they were lets say male/female looking at the opposite sex while in a gay/straight romance.

EXAMPLE; two bi guys and one in the relationship is checking out chicks with huge tits the other is displeased or a bi guy and a gay guy and the bisexual being unsatisfied and seeking the other sex in writing, that or they'd make the character's bisexual so they can be over sexualized making them bang and flirt with everything they see. I'd rather people not do it than do it poorly. I highly doubt you'd even want to mention your attraction to the other sex in a relationship though. Unless in writing you'd want to make angst. I know from experience all it does is make the other person insecure about being whatever sex they themselves are tbh. 

Bonus Bisexual Character. 

tumblr_m99mfqsq3y1r4gei2o1_250.giftumblr_m99mfqsq3y1r4gei2o2_250.gif 

• Like 1

Well, yeah. People are finally realizing the blatantly obvious:

Most of them are bisexual in the first place, at least to some extent.

I doubt most people have come to this realization but as far as the media, people hate what they see in themselves.

Flamboyant queens are too odd for anyone "normal" who might be watching to relate to, and anyone else who'd care is already gay.

Therefore, no rage from the repressed ones in the audience.