Your OTHER Hobbies - Post 'em here

Irreverent

OK, so we're a collective of artists, watchers, suiters, suit makers, convention goers, writers, crafters, sculptors and general all around anthro furfags enthusiasts.  But what else do you do for fun or for sport or relaxation outside of the Fandom?  For example, outside of the Fandom and when time permits, Irreverent is pretty active in:

• Sport Shooting (300m-1,200m fullbore rifle) and coaching
  • I run a Gun Club in Ontario
  • Paintballing and collecting paintball nostalgia (been playing since the game first came to Canada in 1982) up to a dozen retro markers now
  • Fencing (just a practice bout with a Foil every now and then, my elbow is shot)
  • Tinkering with electronics
  • White-hat hacking
  • Collecting (and drinking) fine Rums
  • Wrenching on old Jeep YJ's
  • Making meed and
  • the occasional cosplay as either Captain Jack Sparrow or the Dread Pirate Roberts and I'm working on "Darth Otter."

I used to fly general aviation, but I'm not current and at 48 years old, the medical requirements make the insurance a bitch.

Have at it furries, you know what to do.   What turns your crank outside the fandom?

Let's see...

• Genealogy - I love researching my own and other peoples ancestry, digging through records and trying to make sense of them and connect them.
  • History - I can spend more than half a day sitting around, just reading articles and news related to history. 
  • Photography
  • Stargazing
  • Collecting iconic pop culture collectibles
  • News - Yes. News are actually a hobby of mine. I'm obsessed with news.

never considered "furry" a hobby, tbh, but anyway..

drawing

writing

collecting dead things (bones, fur, etc) and taking pictures of roadkill

cake decorating

collecting glass bottles

meh, i don't really get the chance to do much else enough to class it as a hobby.

• Amatuer astronomy.
  • Reading (a LOT).
  • Drumming, and music in general. Mainly drumming though.
  • Drawing, but not at all often. Sometimes I draw something really good (compared to what I usually do anyway) but that only happens about once a year after I spend ages on it. I can't shade or colour for shit though.
  • Would Doctor Who count? I guess it's more of a very strong interest but I'm gonna put it here anyway because of all the Doctor Who stuff I've gotten over the years (DVDs, magazines, old toys etc.).

Hiking, reading, visiting antique stores and flea markets to buy cool shit

• Genealogy - I love researching my own and other peoples ancestry, digging through records and trying to make sense of them and connect them.
  • History - I can spend more than half a day sitting around, just reading articles and news related to history.  

also this

wow are you me

• Fencing , stabbing people without punishment is fun.
  • Reading, I spend on books what most guys my age have spent on their shitty footballs and football boots.
  • Gaming,loooottttsss of this.
  • Sort of, sort of not history, I like flicking on documentaries about World War 2 whenever I use a TV. Apparently the Nazis did so e crazy shit. According to this one documentary some nutjobs tried to breed some really wild and violent cows (not sure if true).

Yeah I'm a pretty boring person really. I blame school eating up my time.

• I draw and pixel, but you guys had probably guessed those already.
  • I also cross-stitch (and make my own patterns by pixeling), knit and crochet (though, very rarely) and sew. I'm not an expert yet, but I can already put together basic plushies and cosplay-props.
  • I'm studying applied linguistics, so I love languages. Specifically, I love reading about dialects, regiolects and other small community-languages. I also love reading about how language and politics / nationalism intertwine.
  • Can make-up be considered a hobby? Because I fucking love painting my face whenever I have the time, be it with something neutral or all out with blue lips and yellow eyeshadow. 
  • I bake. A lot. Usually because whenever I visit people I feel guilty if I don't bring anything, so I started practicing baking cakes and such and have gotten kinda good at it.
  • Cosplaying (tentatively). I'm not an expert yet, but I've already cosplayed Daenerys / Mikasa and I am planning a Merrill (Dragon Age) and Virgo (Fairy Tail) cosplay. Virgo first, probably, because her outfit is the easiest. And maybe once I git gud I might try my hand at a proper Kyoshi-warrior cosplay (from Avatar). Someday. Maybe. 

Annnnnd that's about it I suppose?

Pretty much everything I do revolves and cars. I own an Iroc-Z28 that I have been rebuilding for many years. About to replace the whole suspension this winter. Every Friday and Saturday I'm out cruising around to the local hot rod locations. Car shows (big and small) when I can. Otherwise I go shooting from time to time and play video games in the winter when I am not in the garage. I still own my original N64 and the original game boy.

A whole bunch of not much. Pretty everything I do right now is: Video Games/Movies or shows/Music/Drinking/Internet Browsing Sometimes I'll try and play around with a bit of code and make something, but that usually never goes anywhere.

I am truly living fast and dying young.

The obvious answer here is art. I love interesting characters and designs, especially those belonging to other people, and I take much joy in drawing them myself.
I think that's something the Furry community has that was responsible, in part anyway, for roping me in.
I enjoy creativity and colour in designs. I know they can sometimes be taken to extremes that even I find a tad too lairy, but I do enjoy drawing characters that have a 'sparkledog' theme to them. I don't mind a little bit of rainbow in the palette. I know that heart-shaped spots are cliché as all get out, but I think they're cute. And yes, I find characters with horns, teeth, claws, and other 'demonic' features fun to draw as well. My own fursona is a demon Monkey after all so no surprises there.
All in all I know that I am always going to have more fun drawing someone's bubblegum princess fox-succubus , then I would with, say, tall dark brown Doberman with not even so much as a unique hairstyle, or any hair at all for that matter. I don't fault anyone for having characters like that, but I would always choose the fox in that scenario if the decision was mine to make.

I do also delve quite a bit into creative writing as well, though I've never had the confidence to share anything I've written with anyone.
There has always been the temptation to adapt some of my stories to feature worlds populated by anthropomorphic creatures so I could then share them with the Furry community, but I don't think I'm quite there yet.

I have always had something of an up and down interest in voice acting. I purchased a Blue Yeti microphone during one of my 'up' phases a few years ago. It hardly gets used all that much outside of Skype calls, however. Again, confidence and anxiety keep me from pursuing anything, I think at least perhaps the last two hobbies have the added benefit of being entirely within my own control, this one, not so much. Not unless I spearhead all other elements so I can then put my voice to my own creations.

I like doing art stuff! Sometimes!

I make music when I haven't lost my music license stick I have to plug in my computer to get it work after moving to a new home (ech)

I also study languages (I know a lot of spanish and just starting in Swedish-- not sure about continuing that, though)

I'm trying to learn code (it's like human languages but even more arbitrary rules =DDDD)

HOMEWORK AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (this eats up too much of my time)

Voice acting (I like to come up with a lot of different voices)

Playing instruments: piano, kazoo, guitar, clarinet, xylophone, drums, slide whistle

video games

I want to hear your musics!! I play guitar and sing mainly. I just got some recording equipment so Im gunna start trying to record some original stuff soon. Im also in an a capella group. I arrange songs for the group and teach our members the different parts. 

Outside of music, I am a pole vaulter for my college. The season is just about to pick up again so ill get back to actually jumping soon :) And I ride dirtbikes! I've been riding since I was 5, but with college I dont really get the chance to very often so I just try to ride whenever I go back home.  

Im also pretty interested in electronics. Im an engineering student so im still learning, but I built my own speakers from individual components over the summer. Ill probably try to make a bigger set when i have some more time and resources (WHY ARE AUDIO ELECTRONICS SO EXPENSIVE????)

• Like 1

I'd love to give fencing a try, but I don't really know which blade type to go for. What do you recommend? 

OK, so we're a collective of artists, watchers, suiters, suit makers, convention goers, writers, crafters, sculptors and general all around anthro furfags enthusiasts.  But what else do you do for fun or for sport or relaxation outside of the Fandom?  For example, outside of the Fandom and when time permits, Irreverent is pretty active in:

• Sport Shooting (300m-1,200m fullbore rifle) and coaching
  • I run a Gun Club in Ontario
  • Paintballing and collecting paintball nostalgia (been playing since the game first came to Canada in 1982) up to a dozen retro markers now
  • Fencing (just a practice bout with a Foil every now and then, my elbow is shot)
  • Tinkering with electronics
  • White-hat hacking
  • Collecting (and drinking) fine Rums
  • Wrenching on old Jeep YJ's
  • Making meed and
  • the occasional cosplay as either Captain Jack Sparrow or the Dread Pirate Roberts and I'm working on "Darth Otter."

I used to fly general aviation, but I'm not current and at 48 years old, the medical requirements make the insurance a bitch.

Have at it furries, you know what to do.   What turns your crank outside the fandom?

Edited by Xaerun

AH! A fun one.

• Metrology (studying the history and different types of measurement)
  • Horology (Time keeping and clocks.)
  • Numismatics (coin and currency collection)
  • Philately (Stamp collection)
  • Reading (Mostly non fiction about space, metallurgy, obscure and obsolete weights and measures of various places)
  • Writing
  • Fursuiting at TEA Party and other political events, YMCA carnivals and events, and my church carnivals
  • Metallurgy
  • Metal smithing (Blacksmithing, gold smithing, silver smithing)
  • Jewelrymaking
  • Ceramics
  • Homebrewing beer, wine and meade
  • Drawing and sketching
  • Painting
  • Shooting (Shotgun: target, skeet and trap shooting, Rifle: distance target shooting, Handgun: target shooting and trick shooting) I am not terribly good at it and I do not compete.
  • Cosplay (I am a big fan of Renaissance festivals and faires. I often dress as a Pirate or rogue, whichever situation best suits me at the time.)
Edited by Skylar Husky
  • Like 1

• Way too many video games, the more dynamic the better (DWARF FORTRESS).
  • Flying drones.
  • I have a major interest in cellular automata and related stuff; complexity science being my philosophy on existence, basically. 
  • Reading any kind of science fiction that isn't basically fantasy in space.
  • I have some bizarre interest in magnetism and metals and collect a lot of magnets, steel ball bearings, and gears.

Then there is the stuff that I tried to do that depression snuffed out, which includes: drawing, watchmaking, cello playing, writing, programming, and robotics. But I will try again!

I'd love to give fencing a try, but I don't really know which blade type to go for. What do you recommend? 

Fencing usually starts with Foil, where you learn the basic footwork, beats, parries and lunges.  Then you either move onto Epee or Sabre.  They're basically variations on Foil, but the scoring zones and attacks are different.  Epee is almost always a thrust, where as Sabre is almost always a slash.  But really, find a fencing salon in your area and ask for an intro lesson.  Its addictive....

Right now I don't really have many hobbies as I've had to stop them temporarily D:
...or in some cases, just stopped them for 'no particular reason'. Nyeh.
But here they are anyway:

• Drumming (had to sell my kit, but I will buy another when I get work)
  • Writing (will continue when I stop being a lazy ass)
  • Making throwaway games on stuff like RPG Maker (because every time I work on something serious it is never finished)
  • Studying game design and fundamentals
  • Airsoft (kinda hard to play here though.. need more players, need my own gear)
  • Paintball (I enjoy it and play it at LEAST once a year, but the nearest field is kinda far)
  • Walking (I do between 10 and 15 kilometers a day (6 to 9 miles))

Some other stuff I enjoy but don't know if they can be considered "hobbies" because of either lack of time doing them in recent months/years, or because I don't know if it can be CONSIDERED a hobby xP

• Community Management (last was a moderator for FaceRig, still technically am, but inactive due to lack of need)
  • Drawing (I stopped doing art years ago but would like to get back into it)
  • A human shoulder to cry on (I like listening to other people's problems to the point where it's a legitimate hobby of mine ._.; )

Kinda want to add "Singing" back on the list but I need to train my voice again.... I totally screwed it in the past because I'm an idiot. It'd probably take me a months of training just to get my voice to the point where I don't lose it after a couple of minutes. But maybe one day

i enjoy:

• game design (technical, narrative, and environmental)
  • programming (C# is my primary language for now)
  • making vidya
  • playing vidya
  • airsoft (i haven't done it in a longass time though)
  • writing
  • bitching
  • plane spotting (and pretty much everything to do with aviation)

uh, not much else asides from the usual stuff people enjoy doing, like watching films and stuff

If I don't feel up to drawing then I'm probably playing a game. Sometimes photography. Every now and then I take up jogging for a few months until I get bored, and I've been thinking about getting a kayak for a bit more variety in exercise since I could probably carry one to the beach from here.

I don't have a lot of interests.

• Gaming - video games, board games, D&D
  • Running/swimming/lifting - trying to work up to running a 10k
  • Driving - mostly I drive for commuting purposes but I really enjoy the freedom of the road
  • Reading - comic books mostly, and fantasy novels 
  • Collecting - I don't have a hard and fast rule for this so I just get shit I like. A more unflattering way to put it would probably be "hoarding" lmao

Not much. I live and BREATHE furry. The only forays into other things would be watching cartoons, playing video games, drawing fanart for said non-furry stuff (can ferals really be called "non-furry"?), and occasionally going clubbing.

But even then basically like, all of my friends are furry trash, so all of those things are sort of moot considering I share them with my furry friends.

Not much. I live and BREATHE furry. The only forays into other things would be watching cartoons, playing video games, drawing fanart for said non-furry stuff (can ferals really be called "non-furry"?), and occasionally going clubbing.

But even then basically like, all of my friends are furry trash, so all of those things are sort of moot considering I share them with my furry friends.

You can have other hobbies while living and breathing furry! Who do you think I play Airsoft with?

● Drawing. Still mostly furry or kemono. But still. 

● Gaming. Mostly JRPGS and survival horror. 

● Music Production. I actually want to consider this as more than a hobby now. 

● Cooking and Baking. Love this but most of the time I get lazy. 

● Anime Watching. Still trying to catch up on some shows I missed these past few years.

● Movie Watching. Especially horror and animation. 

● Reading. I could read a few good novels or such but mostly Manga.  

● Travelling. I love to travel and see new sights but sadly I don't have the money to support this. 

● Walking. There are time I just walk aimlessly just for the sake of it. But it's always "funner" to walk with someone and just go places ye don't really plan on getting to. 

● Electronics.  I used to be active with this but I don't have time or equipment these days with all my other hobbies and such. :U

● Guitar playing. I just go play my guitar sometimes with friends and just jam the hours away. 

● Hat collecting. I do have a small collection and try to buy more when money allows it. 

● Figure and stuffed animal collecting. Depends on the figures tho. I have some pokemon and how to train your dragon dragon figures and a few stuffed animals that I have for display. 

Kia Ora,

School me in NZ airsoft.  Is it a controlled sport (permits required) like PB in Oz? 

Nah, it's fairly relaxed. The problems are that:
1: There's not many places to buy from (I know of two stores only) and they have limited stock, so it can be hard to get gear you want without getting special orders (which may not be possible depending on who they contract with)
2: There aren't many places to play. I can only name one arena off the top of my head, and I know there's at least one other CQC Arena but I don't know where it is. I can't name any outdoor fields or arenas that do Airsoft, unless one of the Paintball ones do and I don't know.
3: It's not a very well advertised or known sport here, so it's kinda hard to get good games.

As far as actually acquiring gear and playing? It's about as relaxed as it gets. You need to be 18 or have a firearms license to buy guns, but that's honestly about it. You can go to an Arena and play without any ID or whatever, as long as a legal adult signs off on you (basically so if you do anything, the adult that signed for you is liable)

By applied mathematics to you mean cosmology, Onnes?

If I dabbled in cosmology then that would be more job than hobby. I mostly mean toying with various calculation methods and models to see if anything interesting falls out. The motivation, though, usually starts with something I'm working on seriously.

A beginners lesson at a nearby fencing club is $250.00 :(
Still, includes 10 lessons, a basic club uniform (top, pants, and long socks) and use of club equipment, so I guess that ain't so bad.

Fencing usually starts with Foil, where you learn the basic footwork, beats, parries and lunges.  Then you either move onto Epee or Sabre.  They're basically variations on Foil, but the scoring zones and attacks are different.  Epee is almost always a thrust, where as Sabre is almost always a slash.  But really, find a fencing salon in your area and ask for an intro lesson.  Its addictive....