Things That You Don't Understand!

FenrirDarkWolf

"In my view, this paper is well-constructed and the content of the paper is outstanding. The aspect of spellings, grammar, punctuation and readability are almost faultless. I find no iota of difficulty in grasping the argument of the student. Well written. A-.

buh...

I don't get why I'll ask a question on Tumblr or Twitter to be answered and people will instead hit the like button. A heart doesn't answer the question. I wish it did...but it doesn't. It's super pointless. If you can answer and help me out, do so. If you can't, just move on.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, XoPachi said:

I don't get why I'll ask a question on Tumblr or Twitter to be answered and people will instead hit the like button. A heart doesn't answer the question. I wish it did...but it doesn't. It's super pointless. If you can answer and help me out, do so. If you can't, just move on.

:x

• Like 1

18 hours ago, XoPachi said:

I think the heart is meant to signify that the person who gave it wants to hear the answer too. But yeah, it does not solve the heart of the problem which is to answer the question

2 hours ago, Victor-933 said:

I always get really weird motherfuckers watching me and favoriting my art and I don't know why

Still better than my number of followers which has an ominous round shape of a zero

static truss analysis

I am doing it as part of a assignment. Because of all the trigonometry needed to find how much force each part of the truss is carrying.

Also there is no decent software I can find that allows for solving textbook 2D problems like this so I can confirm my working out, I can find loads that help if you where designing a real load bearing structure though.

Edited by Lopaw
  • Like 1

I've spent the longest time thinking I'm an extrovert. Convincing myself I'm outgoing, exciting and I love to party.

Now I'm at Uni, I don't think this is true at all. Don't misunderstand- I love being included and asked out to things, and when it happens I'll do my best to look like I'm having a great time. But when placed in a group of unfamiliar people, I'm often the one who stays quiet, lets everyone else talk amongst each other and feels left out. There's some amount of relief I experience when given the opportunity to relax alone and recharge

And this is scary for me because I'm trying to make friends, maybe even get into a relationship, but the best I feel I can achieve are acquaintances.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, DrDingo said:

I've spent the longest time thinking I'm an extrovert. Convincing myself I'm outgoing, exciting and I love to party.

Now I'm at Uni, I don't think this is true at all. Don't misunderstand- I love being included and asked out to things, and when it happens I'll do my best to look like I'm having a great time. But when placed in a group of unfamiliar people, I'm often the one who stays quiet, lets everyone else talk amongst each other and feels left out. There's some amount of relief I experience when given the opportunity to relax alone and recharge

And this is scary for me because I'm trying to make friends, maybe even get into a relationship, but the best I feel I can achieve are acquaintances.

I've always been introverted. Uni has just reinforced that for me. :V

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DrDingo said:

That's funny. Recently I've felt a little more outgoing sometimes but yet it's much less often that I feel as though I truely know the person regardless of it being a long known or new friend. And I'm just starting in college. At first I felt like for a long time I was an extrovert but now that seems true only to an extent. Maybe we are both just smack in the middle......or bipolar xD

• Like 1

Why, suddenly, it's become so popular for everyone and their grandmother to proclaim they're an introvert, and how such terms get applied/mis-applied, in general. And why people think there's no such things as sensitive, emphatic, creative extroverts, and that some being an introvert makes you deeper, smarter and more 'cool'. Nothing against anyone who identifies with either camp...I'll have to start a thread on the topic, when I find time.

On 10/6/2016 at 7:10 PM, Kalmor said:

I've always been introverted. Uni has just reinforced that for me. :V

I've always considered myself a fairly extreme introvert. It was really only after a few years of graduate school that I finally started feeling comfortable socializing with my local peers. Over time, I've come to enjoy it quite a bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kalmor said:

It has been ok.

This has been my experience, really.

I haven't had a bad time. I've made some friends, I think. But it's not the mad-amazing thrill ride people have painted it to be.

Probably because I haven't much been seeking out a thrill ride from it. Shit's draining.

Why some video of Trump recorded back in 2005 talking about grabbing vaginas was only released just now and why it killed his chance of being elected. He was being sleazy with Billy Bush 11 years ago, so what? Why wasn't there this much of an outpouring of rage when it was discovered Hillary had a private email server for official classified communication(that was hacked) and acted like it wasn't a big deal?

Why a bunch of women are suddenly coming out of the woodwork to claim Trump sexually assaulted them after that video had became known. Same thing with Bill Cosby and any other time some male celebrity is accused of sexual misconduct. I'm not shaming or anything, but when a bunch of women suddenly make these kind of claims the moment somebody initially does, it makes it seem more like lying to achieve some kind of agenda (lawsuit, death of career, or in this case, not getting elected).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Socketosis said:

Why some video of Trump recorded back in 2005 talking about grabbing vaginas was only released just now and why it killed his chance of being elected. He was being sleazy with Billy Bush 11 years ago, so what? Why wasn't there this much of an outpouring of rage when it was discovered Hillary had a private email server for official classified communication(that was hacked) and acted like it wasn't a big deal?

Why a bunch of women are suddenly coming out of the woodwork to claim Trump sexually assaulted them after that video had became known. Same thing with Bill Cosby and any other time some male celebrity is accused of sexual misconduct. I'm not shaming or anything, but when a bunch of women suddenly make these kind of claims the moment somebody initially does, it makes it seem more like lying to achieve some kind of agenda (lawsuit, death of career, or in this case, not getting elected).

Trump will make America grab her by the vagina again. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Socketosis said:

People tend to become braver when they know they're not alone in something. It's not unusual for an avalanche to follow when something breaks the ice...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DrGravitas said:

People tend to become braver when they know they're not alone in something. It's not unusual for an avalanche to follow when something breaks the ice...

It is also rather like a class action law suit. Once a legal authority or lawyer has found out about some dastardly doings, they can quickly find all of the victims and persuade them that they should take legal action.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Youtube just gave me a weird advert about 'you can seek help if you look at indecent images of children'.

...like, what the fuck guys? Youtube, I use you to repeatedly watch songs by the Walk-the-moon, why are you sending me creeper adverts?

There you have it, people. Install an adblocker and you support paedophilia.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sir Gibby said:

I'm not sure I'll ever understand how metal music fell out of the mainstream and became a thing that mostly oddballs listen to

but I guess I don't understand how genres become mainstream in the first place

Metal fans grew up and became Dad Squad, then their children were like 'eww metal is for dads this kanye guy seems cool'.

• Like 1

On 17/10/2016 at 9:39 PM, Saxon said:

Youtube just gave me a weird advert about 'you can seek help if you look at indecent images of children'.

...like, what the fuck guys? Youtube, I use you to repeatedly watch songs by the Walk-the-moon, why are you sending me creeper adverts?

And I thought me getting banner ads for intelligence agencies whist at college was strange.

15 hours ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

I don't understand why Philippines would trade US relationship for China

I think it has something to do with American criticism of extra-judicial killings in the Phillipines, or at least that has motivated a lot of insults.

I don't know why they would fraternise with China though, because China is practically ravenous to occupy the entire south China sea, including territory recognised as Filipino. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gator said:

"transgender people are born that way"

then in the same breath,

"gender is a social construct"

...those two things don't mix.

You may also have come across the argument that 'there is no such thing as a male or female brain', followed by 'transgender people have special 'intermediary' brains'.

2 hours ago, Gator said:

then in the same breath,

6 minutes ago, Saxon said:

You may also have come across the argument that 'there is no such thing as a male or female brain', followed by 'transgender people have special 'intermediary' brains'.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-there-something-unique-about-the-transgender-brain/

Male and Female brains do work relatively differently, there is a little variation between either but for the majority it does,

...when people say "gender is a social construct" I think they mean the roles attached to each sex and they kind of warped that in meaning:/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gator said:

then in the same breath,

A lot of trans people suffer from dysphoria related to their physicality. That's not something that really happens just because of social constructs, because social constructs don't magically create a penis or a vagina.
Furthermore, you can have or want to have no associations with the gender roles assigned to your sex without wanting a different body.

At the same time, how we perceive people of different gender are very much social constructs. If I go to a store, the marketing is separated into groups of "women's" and "men's". Those ideas of what should be assigned to one gender or the other didn't just exist in the natural world before we picked up on them. It was a marketing decision.
It was constructed by social engineering.

In short

67031947.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vae said:

snipply dipply

but gender roles and perceptions are not gender.  a lot of the conversations i've seen have made no distinction between the two... but, well, you can't be born with a social construct.

5 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

...when people say "gender is a social construct" I think they mean the roles attached to each sex and they kind of warped that in meaning:/

from my experience, it's like they think that the roles ARE what define "gender".  some of them go so far as to imply that everyone should "experiment" with being transgender because "gender roles and boxes are bad".

so when i have brought up this disparity in other places of discussion, basically i got accused of trying to "invalidate their identities", even so what they were saying would pretty much invalidate all transgender people who feel that they were born that way.  if being transgender is as simple as deciding what haircut you wanna have, then hot damn.

6 hours ago, Saxon said:

such mixed signals it's no wonder a lot of people don't accept it as anything but attention-seeking behavior or trying to be "different".  unless you've been there, how do you draw a line between the two?  especially when even people claiming to be transgender tell you there is no line and that the people who think it's biological are the ones who are wrong.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gator said:

but gender roles and perceptions are not gender.  a lot of the conversations i've seen have made no distinction between the two... but, well, you can't be born with a social construct.

The appropriate word in this instance would be "sex."
But I'm still pretty sure it's the intended meaning behind "I was born like this."

Just now, Vae said:

The appropriate word in this instance would be "sex."
But I'm still pretty sure it's the intended meaning behind "I was born like this."

but isn't the whole point of transgender that your sex and your gender don't match? 

4 minutes ago, Conker said:

My own sexuality sometimes.

I blame literally everyone on this forum for that. Fucking furries ruining everything.

You just gotta embrace the rollercoaster of gaaaAAAAYYYyyyy sttrraaaAAIIIGGGGHHtttt biIIIIIiiiii aaaaCCCCEEeeeee.

Just roll with whatever, works for me.