Talking to Yourself

Terminal7

I'm just curious if you guys ever talk to yourselves - like if you're walking somewhere alone and you start making jokes to yourself to make sure you won't become consumed by boredom...

...or maybe to collect some thoughts out loud

Most people get bent out of shape when I do it, and others just get plain paranoid for some reason (and I pretend like I don't notice). My eyes and words are always clear so what gives? 

It's a crazy feeling to feel like 2 people.

Yeah, I've talked to myself before. Still do. Could be about my current thoughts, worries, future plans. Sometimes its necessary for me to do it if I practice my voice acting or a speech, telling myself how to improve. It feels pretty normal to me. People think that when you do that, you're crazy. If that's the case, I'm fucking nuts

*whispers* I totally could be fucking nuts :V

I think socially people like to pretend it isn't normal.

But I also bet far more people do it than who will admit it.

I hold conversations with myself on a regular basis. Just to nut out ideas in my head mostly, be they concerning stories or artwork I have in progress, or occasionally something more serious like where the fuck am I gonna get two hundred bucks by Friday? =3

Yup. And just like Flynn said, I'm fairly sure more people do it than they care to admit, even if it's rare when they do it. I dare say everyone does it on a very rare basis.

I do talk to myself a lot, but I admit I find it annoying when I hear other people having full on conversations with themselves, even though I know I've done so at times. My brother used to do this constantly, especially when mad or upset over something.

Edited by Kinare

Everyone has an inner monologue, fewer people vocalize it, even fewer do it while others are around. I do vocalize it some while others aren't around and have slipped up with the occasional things like "ok, let's try this..." or "who wrote this garbage..." muttered aloud while I'm working.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DevilishlyHandsome49 said:

Yeah, I've talked to myself before. Still do. Could be about my current thoughts, worries, future plans. Sometimes its necessary for me to do it if I practice my voice acting or a speech, telling myself how to improve. It feels pretty normal to me. People think that when you do that, you're crazy. If that's the case, I'm fucking nuts

*whispers* I totally could be fucking nuts :V

Lucky you! The only practicality that I get from it is to have more control over my mood. Like, let's say  that I'm happy asf and I'm just sorta alone I'll just tell myself jokes (of things around me) to keep it that way. 

I think anyone who's talking to absolutely nothing are crazy. It's not even addressed in their own words. 

• Like 1

Why wouldn't I talk to myself? I have some of the best conversations and there is no one to dispute my opinions but myself. Now, when you start arguing with yourself, then you're really crazy.

Edited by Mr. Fox
  • Like 1

I talk in my sleep, and before I fall asleep, thoughts may slip out into diction. 

I know one man who has to mutter to himself in order to solve problems, and who sometimes sings to himself in a very high-pitched voice under his breath. It is terrifically irritating. 

Just about everyone talks to themselves.

What I'm more interested about is how they talk. Are you asking yourself questions, are you answering them too. Do you have long monologues, dialogues or what. Are you making statements out loud to yourself? That sort of stuff. Talking to oneself is normal, I think, but talking to yourself and asnwering them as if talking to another person is a bit of a curiosity... and I'm curious to see where I'll go with that :V

For example, some conversation between myself and me:

"But how could they even know? It's stupid."

-"But stupid things keep you and others going on, it's normal."

"I don't want to be stupid"

-"And you're not"

Edited by Sarcastic Coffeecup
example

1 minute ago, Newt said:

This one's fairly common, I think. I always talk to myself when I'm doing math.

I wish people wouldn't do it, because if I am working nearby my own thought process is disrupted. 

I'm fine with people discussing their problems out loud, but muttering...why? It's like people who have to waggle their lips about uselessly when they read a passage. 

1 minute ago, Saxon said:

I wish people wouldn't do it, because if I am working nearby my own thought process is disrupted. 

I'm fine with people discussing their problems out loud, but muttering...why? It's like people who have to waggle their lips about uselessly when they read a passage. 

It's a matter of differentiated learning methods; some people read and/or retain information more efficiently when they sound out words phonetically.

3 minutes ago, Newt said:

It's a matter of differentiated learning methods; some people read and/or retain information more efficiently when they sound out words phonetically.

I think schools should make sure that children can read without having to move their mouths, just like they should make sure children can count without using their fingers. 

23 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I think schools should make sure that children can read without having to move their mouths, just like they should make sure children can count without using their fingers. 

It isn't that simple, especially concerning developing students. Forcing them out of their preferred learning methods becomes a detriment to both the students and their educators.

Edited by Newt

44 minutes ago, Newt said:

It isn't that simple, especially concerning developing students. Forcing them out of their preferred learning methods becomes a detriment to both the students and their educators.

I don't think so. Sometimes children get stuck in bad habits that inhibit further development, and which need to be dismantled to allow them to progress. Essential skills, like being able to read properly, shouldn't be set aside because poor literacy is regarded as that child's 'learning method'.

The training wheels have to come off of the bicycle at some point, as it were.  

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

I still count with my fingers, bro. (In elementary school I cheated when doing a simple multiplication test in math because they made us put our hand behind our back to discourage finger counting, and I tapped my fingers behind my back to count out anyways)

Some of us just need the added methods to work through something because we're dumb :P

4 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

past ten if you learn to get creative (starfish genes ftw)

The first thing I thought of when I read "creative" was Don't Hug Me I'm Scared.

So, do you like... Chop your fingers off and wait for them to grow back?

Oh , yes, I think I got that habit when I was beginning to learn English. It's one of the most helpful things to do in order to immerse yourself in a new language, helping you not gradually forget it. 

After a while, something clicked in my brain, and I started thinking in English too, before I noticed it. I don't think I ever went back to thinking in my native language... It's kinda strange, but it became something natural.

I avoid doing it when people are around though, of course. It gets awkward easily ~

Edited by Luka

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

I don't think so. Sometimes children get stuck in bad habits that inhibit further development, and which need to be dismantled to allow them to progress. Essential skills, like being able to read properly, shouldn't be set aside because poor literacy is regarded as that child's 'learning method'.

The training wheels have to come off of the bicycle at some point, as it were.  

Mouthing out words when reading does not inhibit any sort of development. lol

22 minutes ago, Terminal7 said:

The first thing I thought of when I read "creative" was Don't Hug Me I'm Scared.

So, do you like... Chop your fingers off and wait for them to grow back?

...13 is not a creative color :V

I mostly meant spawning new appendages rather than cutting off some (starfish can have more than 5 'arms', I think. Im referring to regeneration in general)

...also if I were to be serious I really meant I often count past ten using fingers. Meaning I'll go past the alloted ten fingers by starting over the next number from the first and continue counting up, it works so long as you can put a side-memory of how much hand(s) you started over and add, I cant do huge countings but if its like 20-30 its manageable.

21 minutes ago, Saxon said:

If you use the babylonian knuckle system you can go to 60. That's why babyonian counting is base 60. 

Thats really interesting, though I'll have to look up howthat even works

8 minutes ago, Luka said:

Oh , yes, I think I got that habit when I was beginning to learn English. It's one of the most helpful things to do in order to immerse yourself in a new language, helping you not to forget it. 

Before long, something clicked in my brain, and I started thinking in English too, before I noticed it. I don't think I ever went back to thinking in my native language... It's kinda strange, but it became something natural.

I avoid doing it when people are around though, of course. It gets awkward easily ~

Language learning is really weird...I often wonder what its like being truly fluent in another language.

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

24 minutes ago, Newt said:

Mouthing out words when reading does not inhibit any sort of development. lol

If you can't read without doing that, then something is clearly wrong. 

Reliance on finger counting is pretty lame though. Children should learn to be able to carry maths in their heads. Useful skill is. 

My boss actually commented on me talking to myself not too long ago; I was trying to reorganize a section (I work at a pet store) and I was telling myself where things should go and he wanted to know if I was sane or not...

I told him (as it truthfully does) that I do it because it makes it easier to get all of my ideas coordinated and helps me remember it, as opposed to talking to another person in my head

I think its fun to talk to yourself. I do it often when I'm alone. Although its oftentimes embarrassing if someone takes notice or happens to hear it without my realizing it.

What I'm more interested about is how they talk. Are you asking yourself questions, are you answering them too. Do you have long monologues, dialogues or what. Are you making statements out loud to yourself? That sort of stuff. Talking to oneself is normal, I think, but talking to yourself and asnwering them as if talking to another person is a bit of a curiosity... and I'm curious to see where I'll go with that :V

For example, some conversation between myself and me:

"But how could they even know? It's stupid."

-"But stupid things keep you and others going on, it's normal."

"I don't want to be stupid"

-"And you're not"

Well, for me its usually nonsensical back and forth with myself. Like I have a really silly conversation with myself. Think what you'd expect two madmen to be saying to each other, except its only one person.

"Get me the waffles Jerry!"

"But there are no waffles. Only cake."

"But I want waffles!"

"Fine! Then you get no waffles or cake! Only pencils!"

"Awww....But pencils only taste good on Sundays!"

Although I often do what you do too when I'm feeling agitated about something. But usually its that silly nonsense for fun when bored and alone.

Edited by Battlechili
  • Like 3

I, personally, have to do it a lot. I have serious anxiety and have serious side effects when I try medication, so I have to go with CBT most if not the rest of my life.

One of the methods I deal with it is say the decisions out loud. I can quickly figure out which one is the 'Anxiety decision' and the 'Lemon Decision' that way. Talking out loud also helps with my language issues. 

5 hours ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

Sometimes I do it to organise myself

"Right, here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna do this and this, then I'm gonna go downstairs and do this, come upstairs and finish this. And I'm not gonna be a lazy shit about it. I'm gonna sit down and get this done or I'm gonna fucking fail"

Sometimes I act out a confrontational scenario in my head, imagining what I would say to people I disagree with

"Stop shooting people with fucking guns, you piece of shit"

Sometimes I read messages I sent to other people out loud several times to see how it might have sounded, going so far as to even mimic 'hehe' and so forth

(Needs no example)

Sometimes I do it to reassure myself or boost my confidence

"Hell yeah, I look great. I am the sex"

_______

I know this post is accurate because I read it out loud without thinking right after I sent it.

Edited by DrDingo

For a more serious answer, I find that putting thoughts into speech often greatly clarifies them. Often, when I'm hunting for ideas or trying to make sure something makes sense, I'll basically explain or describe it to some fictitious listener. It's actually a really helpful exercise; pretty much daily I'll take a long walk and just think about things. I think most of the truly novel ideas in my research originate from this.  

Since I'm mentally 'talking' my vocal cords will be moving regardless of whether I'm actually speaking or not. And if I get into it enough, I'll catch myself actually vocalizing parts of it.

7 hours ago, Saxon said:

I talk in my sleep, and before I fall asleep, thoughts may slip out into diction. 

I do that a lot too. Last night I believe I was saying "if I had a penis, I'd pierce the shit out of it".

I think out loud 100% of the time if I'm studying using flash cards. That's why I'm currently studying in my room. Sometimes it just helps the information come out better than if I was just forcing it to come into thoughts.

If I have a problem that needs working through or if something is really pissing me off, I will talk to myself about it at length, because it helps me to pinpoint ideas that didn't seem significant when I was just thinking them, so I can break down a problem better and that helps to find a solution. Or just if something is pissing me off and I need to vent about it, but I don't want to bother anyone with venting about the same thing over and over, I'll vent to myself about it. I used to spend hours ranting about my ex to thin air.

I wouldn't call any of this talking to one's self though, more thinking out loud. Because the words don't really have a target.

Sometimes.  I've cracked myself up on occasions.  I've also muttered offensive shit about assholes or rude people before in public. Like when you hold the door for somebody and "that" guy breezes through without a care like you work there or something. I don't write checks my ass can't cash so I never do it to guys who I think could kick my ass. 

Usually not out loud, but I constantly have conversations with people I know irl in my head, especially if I haven't seen them in a long time. Things like thinking about what their opinions would be on what I'm watching/listening to, and sometimes even having weird arguments with them.

In other words, I'm lonely and should probably hang out with my friends more for real. :V

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alexxx-Returns said:

I wouldn't call any of this talking to one's self though, more thinking out loud. Because the words don't really have a target.

Best possible excuse I would say

Thinking aloud tends to make those words seems much more existent in a way as oppose to only in your own skull. So yes occasionally I do think aloud as Alex said

I developed a habit of talking to myself. I have found no reason to stop myself, so I continue to do so.

I have actually found reason to continue, though. Working through anything written is much easier if I speak aloud - writing specifically - and everything I do in math is much easier to remember if I speak it.

10 hours ago, Terminal7 said:

I don't think that's dumb at all. It's efficient all the way up to 10 ;)

You can easily get up to 31 if you use one hand and 1,023 if you use both. I keep track of large numbers of things using this finger binary all the time. There is a method for getting to 59,048, but that hurts because my fingers are much too long.

These methods also happen to be useful for memorizing and keeping track of division and multiplication if you get creative.

9 hours ago, Saxon said:

Reliance on finger counting is pretty lame though. Children should learn to be able to carry maths in their heads. Useful skill is. 

There is reason to believe children that count on their fingers while learning fundamental math will have a better understanding of arithmetic concepts than their peers and will have an easier time carrying out mathematical operations in their head when they move away from finger counting.

This is to say nothing about those that sign numbers on their hands by necessity during education, though; I am unsure about any research on the effects of signed-language on mathematical development. That would be an interesting thing to learn about.

• Like 1

Before this thread, I didn't pay attention to the fact that I do say weird things quietly to myself. Because this just came out of nowhere:

"Think happy thoughts like repenting non believers. Repent repent"

"But that's not a happy thought"

"Oh shit"

• Like 1