Furries and aspergers

axelthefox

6 minutes ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

Having mental disorder or whatever you call it is normally not something you want to tell people. 

A lot of people wear it proudly like a badge. 

Edited by Lemon
EDITED THAT V TO B

3 hours ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

Again.

Stop defining yourself by your disorders and illness rather than your strengths and achievements!

you should tell that to the kids on Tumblr. I swear over half the blogs I look at start off with "I'm a mentally ill person with bpd" or any other variation of that. bonus points if they're also queer or otherkin

• Like 4

Many furs seem to fall into one of two categories:

1. The self-diagnosted.

2. Socially awkward types labeled autistic by peers, rather than by a licensed psychologist.

The few who are actually on the autism spectrum (apparently, about 4% of furries) seem nice enough.

I'm not on the spectrum myself, but to hear some people talk about it all of us introverted geeky types are autistic. That's ridiculous, in my opinion. Applied so broadly, the term loses its meaning and does a disservice to those who actually are autistic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

I suspect a lot of people diagnosed with low-level autistic spectrum disorders actually don't have anything wrong with them. When psychiatrists expanded the definition of autism slightly, they hoped it would enable some undiagnosed people to access help, but the diagnosis rates exploded by several hundred percent. 

Happens all the time. ADHD in the 90s? Record amounts of children being medicated and permanently damaged by experimental medications.  Bipolar in the early 2000s? Millions of women permanently reliant on a complex cocktail of anti-psychotics and mood stabilizers that they may not have even needed. 

I swear, it's like some sort of diagnostic bandwagon that these shrinks get on. I think it boils down to a combination of laziness and vague, overlapping diagnostic criteria. 

Edited by Ieono
modd->mood
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, willow said:

you should tell that to the kids on Tumblr. I swear over half the blogs I look at start off with "I'm a mentally ill person with bpd" or any other variation of that. bonus points if they're also queer or otherkin

Oh god. I could go on forever about how I have genuine hatred for those people. It's so difficult to NOT find one of those kids.

On to the topic, I'm currently undergoing some testing for possible ASD, so...? It's possible?

29 minutes ago, Birchnutter said:

Oh god. I could go on forever about how I have genuine hatred for those people. It's so difficult to NOT find one of those kids.

On to the topic, I'm currently undergoing some testing for possible ASD, so...? It's possible?

If you do ever go through that test just remember not to take it seriously.

On a side note: I really don't like how society tells us what normal behavior is or isn't. So long as you're not harming society I don't give a two shit how they function.

1 hour ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

If you do ever go through that test just remember not to take it seriously.

On a side note: I really don't like how society tells us what normal behavior is or isn't. So long as you're not harming society I don't give a two shit how they function.

I think they meant an actual test by a licensed practitioner to diagnose them, in which case people can take that seriously

I remember when I was in highschool the idiot principals at the beginning of my sophomore year for... whatever reason had me on the special needs student list with either autism or aspergers. They like called my mom and I in during the summer and made us have a meeting with the new principal since she "has a background in special education". We were so fucking confused.

6 hours ago, Ieono said:

I swear, it's like some sort of diagnostic bandwagon that these shrinks get on. I think it boils down to a combination of laziness and vague, overlapping diagnostic criteria. 

I think it also has to do with the fact that a lot of parents will freak out if their kid shows any signs of being abnormal and I almost feel like some push doctors for a diagnosis or they get pissy

1 hour ago, Mentova said:

I remember when I was in highschool the idiot principals at the beginning of my sophomore year for... whatever reason had me on the special needs student list with either autism or aspergers. They like called my mom and I in during the summer and made us have a meeting with the new principal since she "has a background in special education". We were so fucking confused.

That's my life in a nutshell. There's something especially weird about someone coming up to asking if you want to join some dumb college thing since you're a "special needs student".

Being a sperg barely qualifies as a sort of disability anyways once you learn to stop being a complete social retard in like elementary school.

18 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

That's my life in a nutshell. There's something especially weird about someone coming up to asking if you want to join some dumb college thing since you're a "special needs student".

Being a sperg barely qualifies as a sort of disability anyways once you learn to stop being a complete social retard in like elementary school.

The thing is though that I'm not even autistic or anything. Literally the only mental problems I have are depression and anxiety related stuff. They just... randomly put me on the special needs list for no reason and then were shocked when we told them no, I do not have aspergers.

On 23/02/2016 at 1:30 AM, axelthefox said:

According to this, some in the fandom have aspergers/autism.

I have one of my own, but I keep it hidden away in a little box.

I get a little insecure about it though and hope nobody notices. I just get by with just appearing somewhat odd but otherwise fine.

• Like 1

I've been diagnosed with ADHD, and that's about it. I was almost lumped into the special needs program because of it. xD

Anyways, I can never get people who treat it like a badge of honor. 

12 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

I refuse to believe that anyone that is a Furry isn't a little fucked up in some way.

Without the mental disabilities, furries are nothing but a bunch of socially awkward nerds into animal-head people. Some of them can be fucked up without someone diagnosing them with some type of disorder. 

19 hours ago, Ieono said:

Happens all the time. ADHD in the 90s? Record amounts of children being medicated and permanently damaged by experimental medications.  Bipolar in the early 2000s? Millions of women permanently reliant on a complex cocktail of anti-psychotics and mood stabilizers that they may not have even needed. 

It is, as well as what society defies as "normal". 

A lot of misdiagnosis for a lot of behavior problems like ADHD  ended up doing more harm than good to children mentally by putting them on legal meth. It is so much easier (And rewarding  for the doctors) to prescribe a pill to be dependent on than finding alternate methods.

• Like 2

On 24/02/2016 at 2:59 PM, Sir Gibby said:

I have one of my own, but I keep it hidden away in a little box.

I get a little insecure about it though and hope nobody notices. I just get by with just appearing somewhat odd but otherwise fine.

I swear to spaghettimonster that you don't appear autismo at all. I have a feeling it's a misdiagnose, probably brought forth by the hearing thing and not being able to partake in group activites as much.

On the offset that it is a proper diagnosis, I do applaud you for managing it so well

• Like 1

Considering that aspergers primarily centers around fixated, repetitive interests and difficulties in appropriateness and social interaction, I'm not surprised.

Afaik, I don't have it. And considering its criteria, I don't think I would.

I just have a bunch of anxiety and stability issues and shit.

Edited by Vae

On 2/24/2016 at 0:23 AM, PastryOfApathy said:

You must be pretty high-functioning. Most of the aspergarians I work with are still struggling with basic basic life tasks, and literally cannot have a single conversation without turning it to trains or video games.

"Speaking of gun control, wouldn't it be cool if instead of guns, people had Kratos' Blade of Chaos, as handed down to him by Ares as a gift for his servitude?"

"That's a great point about your new quinoa diet, were you aware that most quinoa is farmed in the Pacific Northwest and transported to local grocers by C&NW Combine Train, the most common train for long-distance non-frozen agricultural products?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jcstinks said:

You must be pretty high-functioning. Most of the aspergarians I work with are still struggling with basic basic life tasks, and literally cannot have a single conversation without turning it to trains or video games.

"Speaking of gun control, wouldn't it be cool if instead of guns, people had Kratos' Blade of Chaos, as handed down to him by Ares as a gift for his servitude?"

"That's a great point about your new quinoa diet, were you aware that most quinoa is farmed in the Pacific Northwest and transported to local grocers by C&NW Combine Train, the most common train for long-distance non-frozen agricultural products?

It's usually more subtle stuff that most people would just kinda chock up to social awkwardness.

Just now, Saxon said:

If it's not possible to distinguish from just being awkward, how can we be sure people aren't just awkward and don't have a disorder? 

Well it's now virtually indistinguishable due to a variety of different coping strategies I've learned to just kinda do instinctively. When I was younger it was a lot more than social awkwardness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PastryOfApathy said:

It's usually more subtle stuff that most people would just kinda chock up to social awkwardness.

This made me think about how trying to judge social awkwardness in this community is comparatively difficult. When the baseline level is as elevated as it is, a person needs to be pretty damn awkward to actually stand out from the background.

4 hours ago, Saxon said:

If it's not possible to distinguish from just being awkward, how can we be sure people aren't just awkward and don't have a disorder? 

That is the bazillion dollar question, especially when you're dealing with geeks. Poorly socialized, or actually Aspergian?

With some people, it's hard to tell without the benefit (or curse) of ample face-time.

"Aspergian, awkward, trolling, or mentally ill?" is something I ask myself a lot, especially about people online.

Edited by Troj

14 minutes ago, Saxon said:

The word 'aspergian' sounds like some ancient civilisation or territory. 

'The Babylonians and Anatolians formed an alliance against the Aspergians, who, with the help of the Athenians, had dominated the Aegean sea'. 

Yeah, the Aspergians didn't last very long. They had a hard time forming alliances.

Edited by Newt
  • Like 2

What got me is that the more someone is a furry, the more they are inclined toward magical thinking. So while furry may have only a tenuous link with aspergers, it is clearly linked to mental retardation. Oh yeah, I went there.

For a group of people known to be quite nerdy, I'm pretty disappointed to hear the crystal healing magic magnet crowd is strong here. And let me guess, a lot of furries are anti vax, right? I guess that makes sense. San Fran is furry Mecca (outside of Pittsburgh), and San Fran is notorious for alternative medicine quackery. And Silicon Valley is notorious for anti vaxxers. The Salem Hypothesis rings true beyond creationism, it seems.

Edited by Calemeyr

1 hour ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

I feel bad for being facetious and making light a serious subject matter but this actually sounds like a fun game to play

I'd say so!

Re: magical thinking, none of the furries I know are anti-vax to my knowledge, and most of the ones I know are atheists or agnostics who generally eschew New Age-type stuff.

Therians, on the other hand, often seem quite keen on New Age metaphysical things--though, that doesn't mean they're anti-vax or what have you.

I don't think we should necessarily conflate magical thinking with literal mental retardation, though. That two groups of people share the same tendency or like the same thing doesn't imply that they are fundamentally the same.

I'd totally watch an autistic version of 300, though,

Edited by Troj
  • Like 2

On 2/23/2016 at 9:21 PM, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

Again.

Stop defining yourself by your disorders and illness rather than your strengths and achievements!

People would rather hear the negatives than the positives. Humans nowadays thrive off negative drama and stuff. They love to troll, bash, make fun of others, etc. Maybe this is an American thing though? I never been to another country, but I hear people in other places are better behaved and less dramatic.

That and some people don't have any strengths or accomplishments.

• Like 2

Way ahead of you. If I ever do a PhD at University of Phoenix or whatever garbage-tier school would take me, I think a sick-as-hell project would be to go around to conventions, interview and collect furries' lifestories, and publish a book. Fund me SSHRC.

11 hours ago, deconstructed furry said:

People would rather hear the negatives than the positives. Humans nowadays thrive off negative drama and stuff. They love to troll, bash, make fun of others, etc. Maybe this is an American thing though? I never been to another country, but I hear people in other places are better behaved and less dramatic.

That and some people don't have any strengths or accomplishments.

In every time, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

• Like 2