What scares you? [Thread o' Fears]

DevilBear

Alright gus, gays and whatever else may be floating around in here. Discussion time!

Pretty simple premise, but I think it could get some good conversation going.

What are you afraid of? What runs wild through your mind as you lay awake at 2 am, head under the covers clutching for deer life to your baseball bat/large knoife/high powered firearm? If there's a bump in the dark, where does your imagination go? Is it ghosts? Tight spaces? Crowds? Loneliness? Being covered head to toe in spiders while naked at school while a clown touches up his face paint with pig's blood and stares at you with hungry eyes?

I guess we can start with me.

Its aliens. I am honest to God terrified of the thought of being abducted by some little grey twats from another galaxy. Why? I don'the know. The horrifying look of them? The idea that I could be absolutely powerless to stop something from doing whatever they wish with me against my will? I dunno, but they scare the ever loving hell out of me.

So let's air it out. What keeps you up at night?

• Like 1

Bees and bee-like insects are my greatest fear.

If I see them around I tend to immediately panic and to the best of my ability try to move as far away from them as possible while still heading towards my destination. Alternatively, if I cannot find an appropriate bee-free path, I'll either give up and go back where I came from or just stand still, unable to move until someone braver than I comes along to give me the comfort that someone is there to keep me safe.

I cannot stand bees. My parents for some reason thought it would be cool to take a hornets nest, store it in a freezer for several months to make sure that if anything were inside it'd be dead, and then hang it up as a decoration in the house. So there is literally a hornets nest in the living room of my house. I hate it. I hate bees. Bee nests, even while empty, scare me and/or make me uncomfortable. 

Also I don't know how but somehow there was once a yellowjacket infestation at the Chemistry building at my college and if you were to walk into a big classroom you could count 20+ yellowjackets flying around the ceiling. I got stung that day.

Also, its a different kind of fear entirely, and not something I'd call my greatest fear, but one that weighs the most heavily consistently on my mind:

I'm afraid that I may not be able to pay for college next year. The idea of not being able to pay for college horrifies me, as I have no idea what I'll do without. All my hopes and dreams would be lost if I were unable to finish school. And I live in the middle of nowhere, so trying to make something of my life in some other manner is nearly a lost cause.

40 minutes ago, DevilBear said:

The horrifying look of them?

How would you know what an alien looks like?

Edited by Battlechili
  • Like 1

I guess I kinda fear tornadoes. My family is bat shit crazy and actually drove in tornado weather on multiple occasions. One day we were going shopping with my grandma and there was a tornado warning. Instead of leaving she insisted we stayed and guess what? We got caught in the tornado while driving home. The car was lifted off the ground a little bit then dropped. We drove home with only a dent in the bumper. I'll never forget the day my grandma almost got us all killed because she wanted to finish shopping.

• Like 2

Just now, Hikaru Okami said:

I'll never forget the day my grandma almost got us all killed because she wanted to finish shopping.

See, another ridiculous American pastime that causes more problems than solutions. And that time consumerism almost got you killed.

24 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

How would you know what an alien looks like?

Here's a scary thought: what if they actually look better than us!? :o 

I'm scared of being randomly attacked on the street/run over/have stuff from balconies fall on and kill me. I'm scared by the fact that the people I like could die any second. And I'm scared that I'm making the wrong life decisions and will end up having a miserable existence. Yayyy!

Needles; or rather the act of being poked my needles. But it can also be generalized as things entering my skin that are somewhat small and pointy... like when I had an IV put into my arm when I went to the hospital, the shaking was real.

Oh and being alone when it's dark

Edited by Astus
unnecessary information

Considering how I live in the southern part of tornado alley, tornadoes are a big one for me. One time last year, there was a rather severe thunderstorm going on at night while I was sleeping. I was sleeping fine, but then I heard what sounded like a train coming for a few seconds, (tornadoes are known for sounding like a freight train or a waterfall from a distance) and I was scared and paranoid for the rest of the night. 

Bees and wasps are another one for me. Although I find it strange how someone big as me could be scared of something as small as a bee or wasp.

When I was a freshman in high school, I got this out of the blue fear of being thought as being perceived as "weak" or "wimpy" and then getting raped because of it. It wasn't triggered by anything I experienced and I have managed to mostly suppress the fear now, but it still pops up from time to time.

Being stalked/being watched when im unaware, naturally the idea of the slenderman would pretty much be my nightmare incarnate. speaking of scary shit a few weeks ago my older brother woke me up by breathing heavily and looking over me with a jason mask on and i was lying on my back so yeah that was probably the most fucking terrifying second of my life. gotta hand it to him though...that could not have gone better for him, it was executed perfectly >.<

Apparently I was too small for the ride at the time, but the carnies running the ride waved me through anyway. Ride went up to top where it holds you upside down and I slipped out of the bar that holds you to the seat. I was like... 6-7 years old. Was with my older siblings. I'm amazed I'm not dead.

Edited by GarthTheWereWolf
  • Like 5

Not accomplishing my greatest goals, and being rejected by people that I really admire.

I also tend to have a fear of being trapped in a bad part of my life, like stagnation I guess? But I don't think that one is very...plausible. I think that is the fear that I work the hardest to avoid feeling. 

Schizomorphobia.

Fear of Jellyfish and similar creatures. It goes back when I was five and my cousin out a dead one in my hair.  I tired to rinse it out in ocean water, but several of them were drifting to the shoreline and I froze. My mother rescued me in time before I was stung. 

-shivers-

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GarthTheWereWolf said:

Apparently I was too small for the ride at the time, but the carnies running the ride waved me through anyway. Ride went up to top where it holds you upside down and I slipped out of the bar that holds you to the seat. I was like... 6-7 years old. Was with my older siblings. I'm amazed I'm not dead.

Fucking hell, you're either shitting us (though I'm faithful that you aren't) or you really are one tough son of a bitch.

How long were you hospitalized? No permanent damage or anything, right?

Having my apartment broken into, being attacked, and then raped.

Same thing, but them hurting my man and then forcing him to watch.

Having someone break into my apt and killing my animals.

Being gang raped.

Having it recorded.

Yeah, just rape in general. I can tell myself "I'll never be a victim again" all I want, but that doesn't keep psychopaths away from me that can overpower me.

Edited by Ratmomma

16 minutes ago, Amiir said:

Fucking hell, you're either shitting us (though I'm faithful that you aren't) or you really are one tough son of a bitch.

How long were you hospitalized? No permanent damage or anything, right?

No permanent damage. But fuck roller coasters and fuck anything made by or run by carnies >;C

2 minutes ago, Snagged Cub said:

The uncertainty of what happens when you die. I fear it just an endless and empty void where you cannot sense or think anything

I also have a fear of

- Bees

- Snakes

- Being buried alive

It's very unlikely you'll be buried alive, I think movies/TV are giving you silly thoughts. Snakes? If you live somewhere with lots of those (e.i Australia) and have witness yourself or someone directly who have dealt with snakes, I think that's a good reason to be scared of snakes.

Media likes to exaggerate things because it sells but it leaves so much irrational fears

Feminazis 

Mind control conspiracies with subliminal trigger phrases

Anything with an "unquestionable" authority. 

Being taken the wrong way

Being seen as crazy, unstable and/or generally unfit for the public's eye

Being seen as crazy, unstable and/or generally unfit for any deep, meaningful, relationship

Being myself

Losing myself to not being myself

Edited by Bloodshot_Eyes

dont have much of any, so my few fears are actually really dumb

Rejection

(total) social isolation/loneliness and socializations...which...which is kind of dumb and ironic to fear both

The unknown, as in...I don't like uncertainty, and I wish I knew what things will stay constant in my life, and what will fade away...and wonder why I lose motivation for things or people I once loved

Someday,  New York City is going to be nuked and *reasonably so. I found out that the blast could have effects that lead into Astoria and beyond. 

*It feels like most people here are either robots, viruses or complete elitist asshats. Can't wait to move out of this state. 

I fear having irrational emotional breakdown which goes beyond my control to the extent of having strong urges to knock myself off, because that is

some seriously scary stuff to deal with and I would rather play chicken with a salt water crocodile than go through that ordeal.