Replace Likes with Licks

Fossa

3 hours ago, ArielMT said:

The only way I can find to make this happen is to add a custom localization.  Basically, change the language of every word not directly in a post.  Think about this for a moment.  It will give some of you sweet dreams and some of you nightmares.  I have to admit I'm not sure which it would give me.  At any rate, it's not a trivial thing to do.

Not sure I understand. Does IPB give you access to the source code since it's written in PHP? Wouldn't "{names} likes this" be in the template?

4 hours ago, Socketosis said:

Not sure I understand. Does IPB give you access to the source code since it's written in PHP? Wouldn't "{names} likes this" be in the template?

No.  PHP doesn't have a native template language or processor other than the whole language itself.

Also, hacking code, even template files, on a production system is a bad idea for three reasons.  First, cowboy coding like this results in code not audited for any security vulnerabilities that might be introduced.  Also, keep in mind this is PHP, the only programming language where "Hello World" once had an easily exploited RCE vulnerability.  Second, IPB is a COTS application.  As such, even though it's sold as source code instead of a precompiled image, I'm pretty sure modifying it is against the license terms.  I wouldn't be surprised if what they sell is heavily obfuscated to thwart reverse engineering.  Finally, any well-maintained application written in PHP, free software or not, will be very frequently updated, and each update would overwrite any source-level customizations when installed.

However, IPB comes with a complete customization system for themes and languages, which I'm still learning.  It can be done, but it's not a trivial thing to do.

Technical issues aside, I'm not even going to experiment with this because way too many folks are opposed to it right now.

51 minutes ago, ArielMT said:

No.  PHP doesn't have a native template language or processor other than the whole language itself.

Also, hacking code, even template files, on a production system is a bad idea for three reasons.  First, cowboy coding like this results in code not audited for any security vulnerabilities that might be introduced.  Also, keep in mind this is PHP, the only programming language where "Hello World" once had an easily exploited RCE vulnerability.  Second, IPB is a COTS application.  As such, even though it's sold as source code instead of a precompiled image, I'm pretty sure modifying it is against the license terms.  I wouldn't be surprised if what they sell is heavily obfuscated to thwart reverse engineering.  Finally, any well-maintained application written in PHP, free software or not, will be very frequently updated, and each update would overwrite any source-level customizations when installed.

However, IPB comes with a complete customization system for themes and languages, which I'm still learning.  It can be done, but it's not a trivial thing to do.

Technical issues aside, I'm not even going to experiment with this because way too many folks are opposed to it right now.

All very good points. However, I'd expect them to be using a templating engine since those usually go hand in hand with any modern MVC framework (if they created or are using one). One other way I could think of going about it is to just use Javascript to replace "like" with another word outside of any user generated content, which probably wouldn't be as horrendously tedious as doing the localization thing. Well, if you are able to drop in a script tag in the rendered HTML that is. But yeah, breaking licensing terms and updates overwriting it makes it not worth it overall.

On 2016-10-13 at 3:52 PM, Falaffel said:

it's like this forum forgot that we make fun of murry purry furries and half of the forums became them. 

To become the things that we hated.. fate is unkind. 

He who fights with manimals should take care lest he thereby become a manimal.

And if thou gaze long into an 0w0, the 0w0 will also gaze into thee.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Astus said:

I think it should be ticks not licks... I mean when you like something, are you not sucking the essence out of that post and using it for your own means?

Yer funny! And keenly insightful. Odd, how many furs missed the light-hearted sarcasm, here!

Ticks, licks, likes, Fossas just wanna have fun, like that Cyndi Lauper song.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kleric said:

Leave it to furries to take a light-hearted joke as an opportunity to express their unadulterated hate for furries. :V

I would join in on Fossa's genius revolution, but I fear everyone else will dislick me. </3

Thanks, I appreciate the support! I'm not sure why people managed to take a joke so seriously. Leave it to furies, I guess!

If I didn't give Falaffell things to be bitter and bitchy about, he'd almost have nothing to say, so, hey, I figure I'm doing him a favor. He seems happiest when he's unhappy.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Falaffel said:

and i thank you greatly

No worries, anytime! Phew, us furries. Falaffels must bring out the ferocious fossa (yet vegetarian)  side of me! Anyway, sorry if I was grumpy there; been a lack of sleep this week. 

6 hours ago, Fossa-Boy said:

No worries, anytime! Phew, us furries. Falaffels must bring out the ferocious fossa (yet vegetarian)  side of me! Anyway, sorry if I was grumpy there; been a lack of sleep this week. 

but really though, refer to your own post:

23 hours ago, Fossa-Boy said:

I'm not sure why people managed to take a joke so seriously. Leave it to furies, I guess!

Sorry I'm late, I've been busy lately. Here is an appropriate userstyle:

a.ipsButton_like.ipsButton_alternate:after {
    content: 'Lick this';
    position: relative;
    margin-left: -45px;
    border-radius: 3px;
    line-height: 18px;
    padding: 0 7px;
    font-size: 11px;
    background: inherit;
}

a.ipsButton_like.ipsButton_veryLight:after {