General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

Oh, that's exotic. I am not required to study any 'liberal arts' courses; all of my courses are relevant and examinable. I studied extra courses last year, but they were all science courses which I could have chosen to be examined in.

It's how US bachelor's degrees (four year degrees) work. They are all effectively liberal arts degrees with general liberal arts education requirements.

12 minutes ago, Onnes said:

It's how US bachelor's degrees (four year degrees) work. They are all effectively liberal arts degrees with general liberal arts education requirements.

That's surprising. I knew that American degrees had a major with minors, but was not aware that there was any requirement that the minors had to be humanities.

Most Bachelour degrees in the UK are 3 years and focus exclusively on one subject. I'm doing a 4 year degree, which will be an 'integrated master's' when I finish it next year. Almost all science courses in the UK are 4 year integrated master's, because graduates from 3 year science degrees often find they lack a competitive edge. 

There's this theme park in the UK called Alton Towers. One of its rides, The Smiler, is famous for getting stuck and having the front passengers' legs amputated

It came again up in the news just a couple of days ago when the carriage got stuck for half an hour with the passengers inside

Tomorrow I'm going there with a group of friends who want me to ride it

I haven't been on a rollercoaster in years, and one of the first I'll ride is famous for severing limbs

help

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Onnes said:

Hm?

I don't have to take any sort of liberal arts classes. But I'm no science student, I'm a business student, so requirements varies.

I did have to take a bunch of basics classes, but... yeah.

31 minutes ago, Vaer said:

This is my obligatory announcement stating my return to this cesspool after hiding under my rock... so... yeah.

Hello everyone. 

mEQM3.gif

I missed you Vaer, I was legit close to skyping you so I could find out whereth you lie

Now my life is complete knowing I can see the weeaboo reaction images and gratuitous punnery of the one and only fabulous porcufine

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Johanna Waya said:

@Vaer

Hello person that by common consensus is senpai! 

Seriously though anyone who has ever said anything about you has been very happy to know you and I'm sure they will be delighted to have you back.

I really needed to hear that. Thank you for the warm welcome back! Having a place to 'come home to', even if it is just the forums, gives me a sense of solace.

25 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Omg my favorite porcupine hedgehog thing is back!

My GIF folder has felt lonely.

eO73wGT.gif

Greeted by my favorite sewer rodent! Today is a good day!

And I got you fam. We won't let that folder collect anymore dust. We'll fill it to the brim!

c29aa5ba3b934db08639637b160b0fd147693651e40891709d57d61993fccdec.gif

We'll fill it alright.

18 minutes ago, GarthTheWereWolf said:

Welcome back,  my fellow weeb gif comrade. You have been missed.

6X8v45o.gif

Comrade Garth! It is most definitely pleasing to be greeted by another weeb gif connoisseur such as yourself. May we weeb gif post with the strength of the gif gods.

May @Zaraphayx look upon our posts with favor.

VleWJ.gif

9 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

You're back! Welcome back! 8D

My favorite Doctor! Aside from the 5th Doctor anyway. =w=

Hello Doc Gravitas! I'm glad to see you too. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

I missed you Vaer, I was legit close to skyping you so I could find out whereth you lie

Now my life is complete knowing I can see the weeaboo reaction images and gratuitous punnery of the one and only fabulous porcufine

Oh Wolfie! I missed you as well. Sorry that I caused you and others to worry. I just needed time away... from everything. But I'm alive and now I'm here!

5b1df2e1631ccca0b3e6836cc63e39cf.gif

That aside, I'll be sure to give you all the puns and weeb trash reactions to last you a lifetime! 

---------

On another topic... what's with the Yellow titles and names? Cool kid's club?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vaer said:

On another topic... what's with the Yellow titles and names? Cool kid's club?

Hey! It's muffinbutt. You're back!  That's awesome! Glad to have you, hope you've been doing well in the meantime.

Yes, it's the coolest of kid's clubs. @Zeke can tell you all about it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jtrekkie said:

Hey! It's muffinbutt. You're back!  That's awesome! Glad to have you, hope you've been doing well in the meantime.

Yes, it's the coolest of kid's clubs. @Zeke can tell you all about it.

Hiii Trekkie! **all the hugs** I've been relatively well! Just the usual rollercoaster ride of feelings and what-not. But I'm definitely doing better.

17 minutes ago, Toboe said:

Members with access to the adult secton (see: "site updates > The  big Red update")

16 minutes ago, Johanna Waya said:

@Vaer

We literally welcome you back with hundreds of sexy images. You're welcome!

(The adult section)

OHHHH..... I see.

So an area for literal circle-jerks have opened up? :v

fb7f8e5fb90b493de3e09ebdb737511598231ecb_hq.gif

Pervs. >w<

That's pretty cool though. Nice to see this place has some new things going on!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Socketosis said:

The next tweet in that thread reveals what's really going on, and it's no less awesome. (That's a direct-to-PDF link.)

Haptic-feedback telepresense: A human operator is controlling the robot from behind the panel, and the operator is not only able to see what the robot's eyes see but able to feel what the robot's arms feel.  The operator knows by touch, not just by sight, when the robot is touching, pushing, or holding something.

• Like 1

I didn't notice anything; I only saw the administrator notice that Osrik posted. The time in between the comments implies the problem was solved in under 13 minutes.

Compare that to a charity, which I won't name, which I volunteered for last Christmas. (I guess this gave them my email address.)

They emailed me this summer to 'thank me for the substantial amount of money I sent them'. This made me really worried that my bank account had been compromised, because I hadn't made any digital transactions for the last few weeks. Eventually it turned out that they had sent emails thanking people for money to everybody on their email list.

• Vae pinned this topic