General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

I am getting so tired of datasheet browsing I am at the point where I may as well go to a manufacture like ST, texas instruments, On semiconductor etc. buy 20 quid or so of various types of transistors, push them into the breadboard at the places in the circuit they need to go and see which ones work, which die quietly, which die violently and which die whist make a odd squealing sound.

Also I wonder if it is still possible to get ICs that would normally go in black plastic DIP packages in white ceramic ones or metal cans (so they can inevitably get mistaken for transistors)

In fact I found a 555 timer in ceramic but it cost £137 as opposed to the 50p they normally are. That may have been due to it being rad-hard to 200,000 rads, evidently this one is meant to go into space and not cook in cosmic rays.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

I have done the impossible and I sent a request for an appointment for a psychologist regarding my mental health issues.

Fuck's sake. I regret this now but maybe this works. I hope it does.

Me too. She left a voice mail the other day and every attempt I have done to call her ends up on her voice mail.

My biggest worry is I won't be able to articulate my concerns and issues properly, or forget symptoms, and not be diagnosed properly.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

I have done the impossible and I sent a request for an appointment for a psychologist regarding my mental health issues.

I know how nerve wracking that can be, but from my personal experience they can be really helpful and make you have a different perspective on your issues and really allow you to develop better coping mechanism. Just try to go in positive mate and I'll have my fingers crossed for you!

• Like 1

I haven't had one of those, tell me how it goes, mang. Best of luck.

• Like 1

I've been to many of them, and it's not really as scary as you think it's going to be. From my experience, they prompt you with a lot of questions so that they can get a better perspective into how you're feeling, how your environment is, anything that may have changed before you started noticing symptoms, etc. The only advice I can give is to be as open and honest as possible with them. I know there's certain things that you might be embarrassed or ashamed of and figure it's not that important if they don't know about it, but not telling them can actually hold back progress. That kind of information gives them more of a glimpse into how much you're suffering and how your mind is behaving. They can better use that to try and get to the root of the cause and recommend a more relevant treatment.

However, if you just have a pill pusher doctor that only gives you like 10 minutes of his/her time every session, seek out another one. That's a sure sign that they either don't care or they're overbooking patients to the point where they barely have any time to treat you.

• Like 2

Lemon didn't deserve her treatment. The same can be said of Clove. Just good respectable people pushed away by boring folk whose sad lives begin and end with being a furry keyboard warrior on a forum no one else cares about. The mods aren't infallible, but no one on Earth is. There's nothing they did that deserved insults, threats, on/off site harassment, or anything else the few frequent no life dorks have thrown at them.

Give people a fucking break.

• Like 8

I promise that this low quality shit-tier poster will always be here for you.

I will never get a life and I will never move on. I will be here until this site is dead and buried.

I'm cancer, but at least I'm cancer that will always lubz u 😘😘😘😘😘

• Like 2

Ok, maybe one of you can help. I leave my window up all day this time of year. Every night at like 10 pm (now), if my window is up, this HORRIBLE smell from outside bombards me. It's like....the smell of really dank farts, weed, and molten iron combined. What the fuck is that? It can't be skunks, but it's routinely around the same time every night.

15 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

Ok, maybe one of you can help. I leave my window up all day this time of year. Every night at like 10 pm (now), if my window is up, this HORRIBLE smell from outside bombards me. It's like....the smell of really dank farts, weed, and molten iron combined. What the fuck is that? It can't be skunks, but it's routinely around the same time every night.

Maybe the leaves on plants/trees are inactive during night time? science is so hard T_T

I got my ACT scores back finally, and I got a 23 overall, a 25 on English, a 16 on mathematics, a 27 on reading, and a 22 on science. Then on writing I got a 6 out of 12, which sounds pretty bad to me. But overall I'm pretty proud of my scoring

4 hours ago, Feverish said:

I got my ACT scores back finally, and I got a 23 overall, a 25 on English, a 16 on mathematics, a 27 on reading, and a 22 on science. Then on writing I got a 6 out of 12, which sounds pretty bad to me. But overall I'm pretty proud of my scoring

That's pretty good. Although it looks like you need more practice in the math department.

I've gotten to the point where I can't tell if people are passive-aggressively grilling me or not.

Being a paranoid schizo amongst furries is a complicated thing.

I hope that anyone who has a complaint about my posts would politely send me a PM so we could talk about it like adults instead dragging it out in public.

18 minutes ago, Hux said:

I hope that anyone who has a complaint about my posts would politely send me a PM so we could talk about it like adults instead dragging it out in public.

I'd like to file a complaint.

I'd like to complain about us having to message you. What if I want to complain in post?

If you want something done, you gotta do it yourself.

I was gonna have a shower, but the shower drain finally clogged up completely after my flatmate had been there (it was slow before) and instead of having a puddle there I figured I'd do something about it. I asked my flatmate if he had tried doing something and he assured me he's done everything possible. I sent an fault notification about the thing to the housing firm, didn't want to cause water damages. Well, I went in to take a look afterwards, popped open a cover and dug out TWO FISTFULS OF HAIR from the stench lock.. It was too easy even. I had to cancel the email afterwards with another.

So obviously he hadn't done shit but superficial bollocks. I'm not going to trust anyone anymore. Experience shows most have fuck-all work ethic and leave things undone or halfway there, or then are habitual liars. Maybe I'm being a narcissist but I have a /great/ work ethic. I do the shit I am required to, and I do it /well/. Mostly because if I don't, nobody else will.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

If you want something done, you gotta do it yourself.

I was gonna have a shower, but the shower drain finally clogged up completely after my flatmate had been there (it was slow before) and instead of having a puddle there I figured I'd do something about it. I asked my flatmate if he had tried doing something and he assured me he's done everything possible. I sent an fault notification about the thing to the housing firm, didn't want to cause water damages. Well, I went in to take a look afterwards, popped open a cover and dug out TWO FISTFULS OF HAIR from the stench lock.. It was too easy even. I had to cancel the email afterwards with another.

So obviously he hadn't done shit but superficial bollocks. I'm not going to trust anyone anymore. Experience shows most have fuck-all work ethic and leave things undone or halfway there, or then are habitual liars. Maybe I'm being a narcissist but I have a /great/ work ethic. I do the shit I am required to, and I do it /well/. Mostly because if I don't, nobody else will.

Ayy that's the spirit! The world can use more of this! If only the flatmate could share your sentiment and spirit.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2016 at 3:31 AM, Crazy Lee said:

Does it do realtime simulation? I might have to try this.

It can hook up to a SPICE server. That's all I know, really. I don't work with electronics often enough to look further into it.

The last bit of software I used was Circuit Wizard on a Windows machine. That I know for certain can do real-time simulations in the editor.

Circuit Wizard also costs money, so yeah...

1 hour ago, Crazy Lee said:

any other techies on this forum...

I did do tech and IT stuff but went into engineering after the IT course I did made me sick of web design and proved I couldn't code to a professional level.

I wonder if there are any engineering types beside me, electrical engineering in particular.

• Like 2

*Raises hand* Software Engineer here, can confirm the amount of plugs used in any software because rolling out new custom-made stuff is yesteryear. Why spend half a year custom building an application if there is a library/plug-in/API/Template that already does half of what it is supposed to do, and half of what it shouldn't?

Not a professional yet, but that's what I seem to get from my/others' internship, too early to be cynical about this?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nomris said:

*Raises hand* Software Engineer here, can confirm the amount of plugs used in any software because rolling out new custom-made stuff is yesteryear. Why spend half a year custom building an application if there is a library/plug-in/API/Template that already does half of what it is supposed to do, and half of what it shouldn't?

Not a professional yet, but that's what I seem to get from my/others' internship, too early to be cynical about this?

Is software engineer the job title that replaced programmer or are the two different?

Because where I am from the term engineer isn't protected like it is in other countries, leading to all kinds of jobs having name changes to try and make them sound better. 

5 hours ago, Lopaw said:

Is software engineer the job title that replaced programmer or are the two different?

Because where I am from the term engineer isn't protected like it is in other countries, leading to all kinds of jobs having name changes to try and make them sound better. 

Over here the programmer can only program, the engineer is capable of smart, architectural, module-based and scalable designing of software that fits the needs of the end-user.

Sometimes he ain't even do programming but is signed up as team leader of a bunch of programmers. Talking to other engineers like business ITs and Technical ITs.

Cool diagram that shows the story of communication/development, but probably doesn't explain anything:

asl-bisl-itil-solvay-brussels-nov-2009-27-638.jpg

1 hour ago, Hux said:

I love my new wisdom teeth! They hurt so good.

Glad I got rid of all 4 of them, the feeling of freedom through the road of pain and suffering for 2 weeks. Friend of mine was lucky as 2 teeth decided to back off and not push through, ever. Lucky bastard :V

• Like 1

On 11/19/2016 at 7:10 PM, Lopaw said:

I did do tech and IT stuff but went into engineering after the IT course I did made me sick of web design and proved I couldn't code to a professional level.

I wonder if there are any engineering types beside me, electrical engineering in particular.

I would consider engineering but FUCK MATH.

seriously, I suck at math. I'm good at everything else but math.

• Vae pinned this topic