General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

4 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Does anyone else feel that way where you buy a food or drink product or something, and the bottle or packaging is just really well done and presented very well that you just want to keep it but feel like that'd be trashy and hoarder-y since you could just buy another one sometime in the future anyways and you'd end up with more.

You know...stuff like the boxes ferrero rocher is sold in. 

I suppose it isnt unusual to reuse things like popcorn tins for storage...but still...there's a lot of garbage I think of keeping because the company did a good job with the packaging aesthetics

i have a huge -thing- for really well done packaging.  ...i also have the urge to keep any sort of container that seems reusable.  and anything pretty or shiny.  i collect glass bottles and discarded earrings, ffs.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Gator said:

i have a huge -thing- for really well done packaging.  ...i also have the urge to keep any sort of container that seems reusable.  and anything pretty or shiny.  i collect glass bottles and discarded earrings, ffs.

I understand, I have a thing for nice packages too

• Like 7

I have an affinity for really tacky and stoner-y vintage type stuff. I think it started of mostly as irony and is now preserved by a sense of comfort when I'm around such things. I think it might be because I get a weird sense of nostalgia for times that I never lived in and that I associate the modern world with stress and hardship. The 60's, 70's, and 80's are heavily romanticised so maybe that has a lot to do with it.

I want an ornate rug, a waterbed, a lava lamp, an old record player, and some beads in my next apartment.

I'm such an unrelatable weirdo and I can't help but take a warped sense of pride in it. Is my identity messed up? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hux said:

I have an affinity for really tacky and stoner-y vintage type stuff. I think it started of mostly as irony and is now preserved by a sense of comfort when I'm around such things. I think it might be because I get a weird sense of nostalgia for times that I never lived in and that I associate the modern world with stress and hardship. The 60's, 70's, and 80's are heavily romanticised so maybe that has a lot to do with it.

I want an ornate rug, a waterbed, a lava lamp, an old record player, and some beads in my next apartment.

I'm such an unrelatable weirdo and I can't help but take a warped sense of pride in it. Is my identity messed up? 

Nope. Get the turntable first, and a decent amp, and some speakers. A good stereo is so much better than earbuds and MP3#s and such...this alone will prove an orgasmic delight. And with a good stereo, it doesn't 'crash', and is a lot more reliable than a computer; I still have my Carver Amp that I got 15 years ago, my Hafler Pre-Amp, and my Magnaplanar Speakers. If you love music, it's a better investment. Oh, and a more recent Music Hall turntable, Grado cartridge.

I sleep on my tummy, and did have a waterbed for a while, but had to get rid of it, because of the way it mashed against my face, when I sleep, so that it was hard to breathe, and I could not sleep well. But it was very bouncy, and weird feeling.

Oh, and ornate rugs are nice...and weed also helps, of course.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jtrekkie said:

The wind was blowing steadily from 60 to 70 miles per hour today, casting enough dust into the atmosphere to give the impression of being in the center of a grey/blue dome, with no trace of the sun but a brighter patch of sky. Surreal.

While not as cool sounding as that, last night when I was driving home, the whole area was covered in a dense fog that I could hardly see in, certainly the worst I've experienced. You could see wisps of cloud move through the lights. I was just waiting for some sort of animal to jump right out in front of my car.

• Like 2

So today my dad gave me his old Toshiba Thrive, which has been in storage for a long time now. While the botched Android 4.0 update ages ago fucked up the OS, the hardware is rock solid. I don't think you could find such a durable device on the market today.

IMG_20161218_234704_hdr.jpg

I'm thinking of rooting the device so I can clean up the system and maybe load a newer version of Android that can support the latest apps. Any cool idea projects for it? It has a full size SD port, a mini USB port (not micro SD, this tablet is a dinosaur), a full size USB port, and a full size HDMI port. A keyboard can be plugged in and used no problem, so peripheral support is potentially high. After all, this tablet is a relic from a time when we thought tablets would replace laptops.

• Like 1

I feel like I will die an early death by a diabetic shock or a heart attack because I feel I have already ruined my health with constant snacking of sweets. Not a good combo, damn expensive and ruins my teeth yet I keep doing it out of habit. Must be sugar addiction. Is this how smokers feel? 

28 minutes ago, Wax said:

It's not like I'm too demotivated to do my university coursework, I just cannot be bothered to do it. Like, at all. I wanna play video games instead!

I'm haunted by some kind of magic invisible wall that prevents me from revising properly until the late afternoon

Lots of late nights, lots of late mornings

• Like 1

temperature.jpg

So this was at night a few days ago. We hadn't even officially started winter and negatives seriously?

Speaking of which, when did they decide to have today, the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year, as the official start of winter? What idiot decided that? The earth is already tilted away from the sun for the northern hemisphere. It's been tilted away for a while. And it gets cold back in Nov usually. We've already had a blizzard and record low temps.

15 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Before I go to sleep...

You guysssssssss, it's been TWO WHOLE YEARS since I started doing colorguard! I'm fucking amazed that somehow, I went from this in 2014, to this in 2015, to this now!

You should post sources for that music. I need them.

Intel reports the older sibling's new SO has gotten me a gift. This will not stand and I shall respond in kind! My scouts have been debriefed and tasked with identifying an appropriate counter-gift. We may require a midnight assult on the storefront to acquire our objective.

• Like 5

The traditional gift contribution of me and my family to our relatives. We'll all be giving gifts to each other under a real Christmas tree (chopped baby pine, not a cheap plastic tree). The tradition has been going on for as long as I have lived so far

20161222_194016.jpg

(I hate how this forum tilts the images on mobile) 

Will post more pics later once I am off to said event

• Like 1

My holidays will involve Beer, a roast rib dinner, relaxing at home, and a shit-ton of candy/cookies/stuff I really shouldn't be eating but I'm going to anyway because fuck it I'll just hit up the gym when I get back to Ga Tech. Also on a side note my teacher wants me to register with this online thing called Top Hat, only problem is that it requires $30 for a 6 month subscription to enroll in a class. Not totally sure what to do for that.

53 minutes ago, U-235 said:

My holidays will involve Beer, a roast rib dinner, relaxing at home, and a shit-ton of candy/cookies/stuff I really shouldn't be eating but I'm going to anyway because fuck it I'll just hit up the gym when I get back to Ga Tech. Also on a side note my teacher wants me to register with this online thing called Top Hat, only problem is that it requires $30 for a 6 month subscription to enroll in a class. Not totally sure what to do for that.

What is Top Hat for?

1 minute ago, DrGravitas said:

What is Top Hat for?

I don't honestly even know. I just know they sent me an invitation to join it via my student email. It could be total BS, but I'll see. If I get to class and are like "did you sign up yet" then I'll know it's for real.

On 2016-12-21 at 8:46 PM, Crazy Lee said:

temperature.jpg

So this was at night a few days ago. We hadn't even officially started winter and negatives seriously?

Speaking of which, when did they decide to have today, the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year, as the official start of winter? What idiot decided that? The earth is already tilted away from the sun for the northern hemisphere. It's been tilted away for a while. And it gets cold back in Nov usually. We've already had a blizzard and record low temps.

You should post sources for that music. I need them.

Pfff

11.png

Also, what vehicle are you in that has that speedo? Never seen that one before O.o

• Like 1

One of the great parts of being with folks: Going shopping with them at Sam's Club. I got 3 massive, beef jerky bags for only like 18 bucks! Living alone I can't justify the cost of the monthly membership fee, so it's a bit of a treat to go with the folks. Jerky for days!

• Like 1

• Vae pinned this topic