Did you have an animal-obsession phase?

Vallium

When I was a kid I had a fennec fox phase, then a husky phase. (Of course I suppose some people never leave these phases, LOOKING AT YOU @george99g @LadyRadarEars @Zaraphayx ), there was a bat phase in the mix.

...but then I returned to my one true love the Wolf.

....then suddenly otters.

I think most kids are encouraged to have a favourite animal, because as a child you're encouraged to regurgitate shit like that for whenever adults prod you and ask.

For me, it was the Giant Panda for practically no reason whatsoever

But it prompted my family to take me and my brother on trips to Berlin and Edinburgh Zoos to see them. So I was grateful, kept my mouth shut and never told them I wasn't actually panda mad.

I grew up around horses. My mom really pushed me to be a tomboy horse girl like she was as a kid, and I happily was until my mid-teens after a bad horse related accident. 

After that and a trauma event that includes all 20+ of the horses in our care (we worked at a rescue) being siezed, we lost our job/truck/phone/living situation in the same day. We lived in a horse stall at the local fair grounds for 2 weeks because we were friends with the racehorse people, they didn't snitch and we went to Florida. I lost all my will to be around horses, I hated them with all my heart. 

My mom tried to fix it, she bought me a baby Florida cracker mustang to train myself. I had always talked how I wanted to train a horse from start to finish using Monty Roberts training techniques such as join-up

Eventually I put my petty life problems aside to care for her and train her. Unfortunately she had a bad illness happen(we think it was rabies, all tests for other illnesses came back negative) and had residual motor control issues, so she can't be ridden. That's fine by me, she will be in my care until she dies. She's 7 and pregnant for the first(and probably only) time. She's due in February, and part of only 140> brood mares of her breed to exist in the world. 

Not necessarily obsessed, but gosh dern it if I don't like looking at pics of foxes. Makes me feel all giddy inside.

Especially the arctic ones, in a jumping motion.

As to where that came from? I don't even have any idea, guess a lot of little things helped that idea along.

The snow, the cunning nature and the goofiness sure helped with it.
759820.jpg

Had a wolf phase since forever, even once had one of those horrible off-color wolfsonas that some furries never seem to grow out of, then it became red foxes (blame star fox :V) and then fennecs because smolfoxbestfox.

I still have wolf(ish) characters, like my Aurora, though. I also do still like huskies/wolves. Canines/Vulpines > Felines > Other mammals > Scalies and if you believe differently you're a heretic :3

• Like 2

I've always had a bit of an obsession with Bears, Wolves and Owls.

Bears, I've always loved stuffed animals. Teddy Bears being the favourite, still have one I got as a present from my grandmother.  I identify as a bear build / lgbt wise, so that probably counts somewhere... :L

Wolves I've just always found really fascinating and interesting animals.I'm a natural dog person as well so that kind of connects.

As for Owls, I got that obsession from my mum >__> The amount of figurines and owl plushes she owns is mind boggling

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrDingo said:

I think most kids are encouraged to have a favourite animal, because as a child you're encouraged to regurgitate shit like that for whenever adults prod you and ask.

For me, it was the Giant Panda for practically no reason whatsoever

But it prompted my family to take me and my brother on trips to Berlin and Edinburgh Zoos to see them. So I was grateful, kept my mouth shut and never told them I wasn't actually panda mad.

Well that kinda sucks, I was mainly referring to my phases of obsession which I learned of and had all my own and wasnt prompted by anyone, but I still very much liked the animals, still do...

Pandas are still great animals, though. 

• Like 1

I don't think I was ever really obsessed with any animals as a kid; I liked dinosaurs and puffins quite a bit, but in terms of obsession that was more the case with things like Star Wars, the Roman Empire, and WW2.

For the past few years, I have had somewhat of an obsession with corvids, but it is mostly with their intelligence, though I also like them in general.

I've drawn dragons and monsters since I could feckin hold a pen. Birds are cool, dinosaurs are neat, dinoburds are awesome!

But I'm actually a cat person, always have been. I grew up with them, have several at the moment, TNR'd a few local colonies of ferals, worked with the colonies and homed a few, raised abandoned infant litters, etcetera ad nauseum. Understand them better than I understand most people speaking plain English. Cats are good™.

• Like 1

I went through many obsessions.

I was mostly into dragons in school, then gryphons after playing the hell out of a highly obscure RTS called magic and mayhem.  Hearing how badass they sounded in that game prompted me to make a gryphon character when I was 15 or so who I haven't drawn for ages.

After I went through a brief kitsune phase and made a character out one of those.

I then got exposed to the furry fandom by someone at the first (crappy) college I went to. Drew baldly on paper a scantly clad anthro cougar before I could draw cats heads properly in a brief cat phase that ended with me drawing a god awful digital drawing of the same. The paper drawing was later torn up and flushed down the toilet when I left so that nobody would know about it.

After that I decided to try learning adobe illustrator and managed after much fighting with its UI (being way harder than photoshop) to draw a anthro weasel (later called Frensel) after looking up this military thing called wild weasel on wikipedia and having the phrase stick in my head, the combat theme and style fitting him perfectly.

As a result of it I am a mustelid fan and gryphon fan with a small amount of dragon.

Whether reading about them in books, watching them on TV, seeing them in the zoo, or caring for them as pets, I've always liked animals. Along with dogs, house cats, hamsters, hermit crabs, salamanders etc., I've also been fascinated with wolves, bears, beavers, owls, and pallas cats. It's hard to say which were phases vs. simply animals that I like or was into at the time, but I do know that I occasionally annoyed other kids by talking too much about whatever my current animal of interest happened to be.

8cedf11775527fc5484cde2379ce8e70.jpg

• Like 1

The animal obsession of mine is one of the things I can remember clearly from primary and secondary school. One factor that makes it so memorable was the eternal debate of "Cats or dogs" that divided people into opposing groups - and I was one of the people who used to get super mad when people considered dogs better. 

I also used to draw a lot of animals in all of my notebooks that evolved into inadequate anthro sketches at some point. I had no idea about furries though, just that I now enjoyed drawing odd human-shaped animals.

Animals have always been and still are one of my favorite topics to talk about.

On 11/27/2016 at 4:09 PM, Motivated Mouse said:

I used to love wolves more than anything, ...

Same, I had an intense wolf phase, I loved everything and bought anything with a wolf on it, was a pretty short time though, maybe a good year or something. 

I don't think I have an obsession anymore, I just love many different animals, but just on a normal level ^^