The concept of "anime fans" is baffling

Tyranno

This is the only medium, apparently, where people claim to be fans of, well, a medium. The concept of being a fan of something because its in a particular medium is pretty odd.

Its like if I, having played very few video games, virtually nothing outside Bomberman, Command & Conquer and Pokemon, started playing Halo (whatever that's supposed to be), decided I didn't like it, and then said "But I'm a video game fan! I should be enjoying this!"

Or if I, having read many Stephen King books, began reading a book on Norse theology, thought little of it and said "But I'm a book fan! Why aren't I enjoying this!"

It doesn't make any sense.

I would say it's pretty similar to people saying "I like comics" or "I like furry art."
These are general statements. They are not contractual obligations. You will not go to directly to jail, do not pass Go, do not collect $200 for having preferences within those broad interests.

This sure is a bunch of innocuous shit to overthink.

• Like 10

To be honest its confused me a bit since anime has genres within it, and somebody saying they like or dislike anime is a lot like saying someone likes or dislikes movies which is somewhat weird to me since not every movie you watch you will enjoy.

But I like 2D animation. I think its pretty and interesting to see images move, and it allows for unrealistic and unusual things to occur without looking weird or out of place. I like the colors and how you can make something unrealistic still look normal. Japan outputs the largest number of animated television series of any country in the world. In addition, there's less of a stigma of animation being for children there, so there's more variety in terms of the types of works put out. If I want to watch an animated work simply due to the fact that I like animation, I have to watch anime.

Beyond this, while there's no one rule for how something looks artistically, there are general common recurring stylistic choices in anime that, if you like it, means you'll probably be able to appreciate many other works.

If I liked anime, I wouldn't go out and tell people that I like slice of life of type of games anime instead of action fantasy type of anime. Both are rightfully categorized as part of more general concept, "the anime" and I don't see any wrong about telling people I like anime because the statement covers the general concept; I like watching Japanese cartoons that typically use this kind of animations, this kind of emotion and this kind of progress of storyline etc. that are distinct from, say, western animation. 

And that is the part that makes sense. Anime has certain traits that makes it appealing to its audience. One might not necessarily like all of them but still like anime because of some other redeeming traits. 

In your halo example, the negative traits overcome the positive ones, especially considering how wildly different an FPS game is from a point and click visual novel gameplay wise

And like Vae said, this applies to furries too. For example, Scalies and furries are both categorized as furry (although a more fitting name would be called for). I am okay with that because they both share one common trait: Anthromorphic animals. That's all needed to know when talking about furries in general without being too pedantic.

However, there are some common things about furry art that I personally dislike but the positive sides of it overcome the negative ones

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tyranno said:

This is the only medium, apparently, where people claim to be fans of, well, a medium. The concept of being a fan of something because its in a particular medium is pretty odd.

Its like if I, having played very few video games, virtually nothing outside Bomberman, Command & Conquer and Pokemon, started playing Halo (whatever that's supposed to be), decided I didn't like it, and then said "But I'm a video game fan! I should be enjoying this!"

Or if I, having read many Stephen King books, began reading a book on Norse theology, thought little of it and said "But I'm a book fan! Why aren't I enjoying this!"

It doesn't make any sense.

But they have a word for 'Video Game Fans' they're called 'Gamers'.  Yet even gamers have preferred genres and specific titles.  'Comic fans' are a thing but also have preferred genres and specific titles.  The same for anime fans.

What I don't get is where you came to believe that 'Anime Fan' means 'likes every and all anime titles ever'.  That seems to be the only weird part.

• Like 3

I havent played a lot of videogames either, I still consider myself a fan. Mostly, I feel bad because I havent played a lot and saying Im a fan means I should know enough to keep up with the hardcore gamers, but really there was just a lot of games I loved growing up and more that seem interesting to me.

If you like a lot or some of cartoons of the anime genre/style, then youre an anime fan, what's not to get? There really isnt any meter or requirement to how much of something you must like in order to be a fan

Besides that as already said, people are a fan of the genre of anime because its 2D animation done in a unique and very iconic style, as far as the cartoon industry anime stands itself apart by being geared to a teen or adult audience with darker images or sexual content. In the west it took a long while for cartoons to breach outside of being just for kids, or in the case of adult cartoons just for comedy. So in that way anime as a subgenre of cartoons is likeable in its own right. People who dont like anime are usually those who already dont like cartoons or adult themes.

As far as which animes people watch that varies. Some people only watch certain types, some people more. I watch different genres so long as they interest me. I have to say Sports animes seem the worst, imo. But I do watch macabre, horror, fantasy, and slice of life as different as those get.

Also...this thread is mildly hypocritical coming from someone in the furry fandom, which has no set type or genre

• Like 1

Anime fans are a subset of animation fans. The anime fandom is built around Japenese animation. The term "Japanimation" was once more common, but has fallen out of favor. These days, Japanese-style animation (whether from Japan or other countries) is referred to as anime, which is a Japanese term for animation.

• Like 1

The reason the anime fandom is a thing goes back to the early 90's when anime was still very underground. There wasn't a lot of it out there and genres that came to the USA didn't have nearly as much variety as they do today. It also had a very distinct visual and writing style that separated it from western animation of the time. In the mid-late 2000's networks started incorporating a more anime style into their shows (Like Teen Titans) and mainstream  networks like CN started airing anime regularly on Toonami and Adult Swim. This caused a boom in popularity and now we have a wide array of genres and styles at our disposal and since anime is now very mainstream it's only likely that we'll get more. So if you've been living under a rock and only view anime in the context of present day 2017, then sure saying "I like anime" isn't t far off from saying "I like comics" or "I like video games".  It's a very broad term that includes a lot of subgenres. But once upon a time anime was a niche fandom that not a lot of people were into. I remember seeing the manga section of a book store back when it was only half a shelf way in the back because it was considered a novelty, and not every bookstore even sold manga. Now you have whole sections with 2-3 book cases and lots of merchandise.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red Lion said:

The reason the anime fandom is a thing goes back to the early 90's when anime was still very underground. There wasn't a lot of it out there and genres that came to the USA didn't have nearly as much variety as they do today. It also have a very distinct visual and writing style that separated it from western animation of the time. In the mid-late 2000's shows started incorporating a more anime style into their shows (Like Teen Titans) and mainstream  networks like CN started airing anime regularly on Toonami and Adult Swim. This caused a boom in popularity and now we have a wide array of genres and styles at our disposal and since anime is now very mainstream it's only likely that we'll get more. So if you've been living under a rock and only view anime in the context of present day 2017, then sure saying "I like anime" isn't t far off from saying "I like comics" or "I like video games".  It's a very broad term that includes a lot of subgenres. But once upon a time anime was a niche fandom that not a lot of people were into. I remember seeing the manga section of a book store back when it was only half a shelf way in the back because it was considered a novelty, and not every bookstore even sold manga. Now you have whole sections with 2-3 book cases and lots of merchandise.  

Also to add that back then before the inter webs, if you wanted a specific title of anime, you had to either hope Blockbuster had a VHS copy of it, or ask a video store that catered in foreign vids to special order it for you. Or have a pen-pal in Japan to ship VHS copies to you. Or be that one lucky sod in the military stationed in Japan able to grab Japanese things and have them shipped to the US. Once we had the ability to order the niche things on the WWW, you started to see a rise in Japanime consumers.

5 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Also...this thread is mildly hypocritical coming from someone in the furry fandom, which has no set type or genre

I think of furry as as sub-set of animation, like anime. I don't know if everyone else thinks this way.

• Like 1

yeah i was gonna say the thing about how this is basically exactly the same as saying "furry fandom" but literally everyone beat me to it.

also that thing about how, despite being a broad term with multiple genres and styles, there are still distinct things that make anime "anime", and set it apart from other types of animation.  it is indeed possible to be a fan of those elements overall, even if one doesn't necessarily enjoy every single thing that falls under that category. 

i used to hear the same complaint being made for the opposite reason, directed at people who said they didn't like anime.  "wahh you can't generalize all anime it's not all the same!!"  ...the response is exactly the same for both. 

and furthermore, i dislike anime. 

Just now, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Isnt that what that thing in your avatar is, though? 

Checkmate, faggot

i'll fuckin snap your neck if u talk to me like that motherfricker

my manimal is all american

• Like 6

Ok, so anime is a medium. It has many genres in that medium. So I'm not sure what you're getting at? If someone is a fan of oil painting, people will then ask what is their favorite subject matter. No one would really question it. As stated previously Comics are also a medium, but there are genres within it.

I'm a fan of watercolors,oils and digital painting but not so much a fan of acrylics. But I may or may not like subject matter presented with those media.

Think on that for a bit ;)

4 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Tyranno has not responded to this thread since posting but remains active in other parts of the forum.  Clearly, after being faced with the near universal response of 'WTF are you on about?' he has abandoned the thread rather than face everyone's responses.

Because when theres no way to argue your point some people dont like to go white faced embarassed and admit "Shit sorry I was wrong and very stupid"?, or maybe they just erase what happened from memory and move on to other topics?

Sounds like something I would do if I say something irredeemably retarded :v

23 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Because when theres no way to argue your point some people dont like to go white faced embarassed and admit "Shit sorry I was wrong and very stupid"?, or maybe they just erase what happened from memory and move on to other topics?

Sounds like something I would do if I say something irredeemably retarded :v

But by continuing this thread we can further his embarrassment.  :3

• 3 weeks later...