unpopular opinions

Joel

7 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

But if we must debate on the facts Im pretty sure evil boils down to harm done to other parties without reason (i.e self defense). 

Many secular philosophers lean towards all evil having reason, but they disagree heavily on what the reason for each evil is. They don't even agree on what evil is. Most agree, though, that any harm originating from a moral agent is an evil if evil does exist.

I would look more towards sociology, anthropology, and psychology for the reason-why part of evil, but one won't find much use of the term 'evil' in those areas.

On that note, my unpopular opinion - as it seems online - is that Nietzsche and Nozick are two sides of a shiny turd.

• Like 3

On 10/29/2016 at 0:43 PM, LadyRadarEars said:

OT: I only really like three of ERB's videos and think they've actually gotten worse as time has passed.

As far as I can tell their raps have gotten less rough and more refined, I tend to like them.

The most recent one was actually.... not terribly good. I guess hilary clinton vs trump is a hard idea to pull off without getting so political it is hard to focus on the music or "making" two characters with awful voices sing.

4 hours ago, MalletFace said:

Many secular philosophers lean towards all evil having reason, but they disagree heavily on what the reason for each evil is. They don't even agree on what evil is. Most agree, though, that any harm originating from a moral agent is an evil if evil does exist.

I personally don't believe in 'evil' in the usual sense of the word, but equate it with the extreme end of selfishness, just as 'good' can be equated with the extreme end of selflessness. In practice, 'good' is as likely to mean 'of benefit to me' as 'of benefit to society'.

3 hours ago, Faust said:

I personally don't believe in 'evil' in the usual sense of the word, but equate it with the extreme end of selfishness, just as 'good' can be equated with the extreme end of selflessness. In practice, 'good' is as likely to mean 'of benefit to me' as 'of benefit to society'.

Hitler is said to be evil yet he thought about his own people, cared for them. Yes, he was evil in a sense that he ordered the execution of many people who were "lesser races", very unpatriotic and not-a-true-german to him, even when the executions weren't collectively (outside of ww2 axis states) considered necessary but a straight up murder. Evil is not merely the selfish end of the stick,  the evil is not bound to selfishness, though selfishness does involve with acts that we believe to be evil. 

What if a genuinely altruistic (selfless) lad contributes to the evil cause and is aware of the intentions of the evil cause but still selflessly offers his/her help to evil cause for the sake of doing something selfless, say, a voluntary work with no benefits to yourself. Or is that selfless lad assisting the evil cause because he wants to look "good" in the eyes and minds of other people, in which case, (s)he is doing things for selfish reasons: for fame. Arguably, everything we do is is ultimately for selfish, primitive reasons, whether the rewards for our selfishness is material or spiritual. 

Inversely, someone may do something selfish and inadvertently help someone. For example, if you order a pizza all for yourself and not order any for your hungry friend, then sure, you're a selfish dick but at least you helped your local pizzeria to stay in business

Selflessness =/= always good (or bad) 

Selfishness =/= always bad (or good) 

The lines between correlation of the above are blurred

Here's my opinion time. I believe evil are all things we humans collectively consider to be evil: Things that are inherently harmful to our society, for example, a murder; yet corporate greed is not considered evil because it benefits our society too. It depends on society what is collectively considered good and evil. And in every single society, there are people that disagree what is truly good or evil because everyone of us holds our own values and beliefs unique to each of us. Most of us have just decided to abide the rules majority of people in society have agreed on, even if those rules were to contradict our own values and beliefs about what is evil and what is good and we do this because of social pressure.

And then some of us don't abide by the collective law. For example, some psychopaths and serial killers believe that by killing, they are doing a "good" service to the society e.g cleansing or purging the populace.

(However most of murderers are intelligent enough to realise that other people don't like what they are doing, even though they may believe other people are wrong, so they know that if they're caught, bad things will happen to them)

All in all, good vs evil is only in our heads and we collectively as a society decide what is good and what is evil and in each of our society, there are always differences in beliefs what is good and what is not. Good and evil is not something you can universally define other than being a construct of our societal values and rules. 

In the end, many aspects of our society work by "I scratch your back and you scratch mine" mentality, which is a benefit to you and society, which is good

#unpopularopinion

• Like 1

You could always redefine selfish / selfless as 'Of being a significantly greater benefit to myself than others' and vice versa. This works well in the Hitler case since Hitler, as the controller of Germany, stood to benefit significantly from successful execution of the war.

Also he was bonkers, and genuine insanity trumps morality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Faust said:

You could always redefine selfish / selfless as 'Of being a significantly greater benefit to myself than others' and vice versa. This works well in the Hitler case since Hitler, as the controller of Germany, stood to benefit significantly from successful execution of the war.

True, but what is greater good to society than yourself is not easily definable and each of our definitions is personal

But you have to take into account that Hitler had a vision of turning Germany great again (sound familiar?) from the ruins that were the result of the great depression (wall street crashed) and ww1 reparations. The problem with Hitler was that he was too much narrow minded, biased and only considered the benefit of "true" Germans (Aryan inheritance) and did not tolerate many, many other races/religions (and even sexual orientations, like being homosexual), like Slavic people and the Jews and that is why people other than Hitler's supporters see as being evil and selfish. The intent was originally good, to recover the economy of Germany then Hitler blamed others, mainly Capitalism and Communism that he saw as a threat, decided to expand 3rd Reich and things went awry. I guess I should read Mein Kampf to get a more personal insight into Hitler's views

What wouldn't be necessarily selfish however if Hitler used his unquestionable position of autocracy to do deeds that benefit everyone (or as many as possible) who would live inside the territory of 3rd Reich, including the conquered territories, which didn't obviously happen as he ordered the discrimination of non-Aryan humans. But that's alternative history and while an interesting topic, should be spared to another discussion. 

But the point is that are you being selfish if by being selfish you could positively benefit many more people and yourself than discriminate against people you're being selfish to? 

Holy shit I didn't originally mean to write this long but it came anyway. Whelp. 

2 hours ago, Faust said:

Also he was bonkers, and genuine insanity trumps morality. 

Am I missing a certain subtle political joke about Donald? :V

10 hours ago, Johanna Waya said:

As far as I can tell their raps have gotten less rough and more refined, I tend to like them.

The most recent one was actually.... not terribly good. I guess hilary clinton vs trump is a hard idea to pull off without getting so political it is hard to focus on the music or "making" two characters with awful voices sing.

Another problem is they didn't let ANGRY VOICE GUY use his ANGRY VOICE. The Donald Trump from the Trump v. Scrooge video was much better.

3 hours ago, Faust said:

Also he was bonkers, and genuine insanity trumps morality.

The insanity didn't actually come until late in the war, after all of the mercury poisoning and when he was about to kill himself.

Before that he was just mildly sociopathic, which is to be expected of someone who lived through a period where a loaf of bread cost several wagon-fulls of money and was made of mostly sawdust, to be honest.

1 hour ago, LadyRadarEars said:

I don't find most piercings or tattoos attractive when put on real life human bodies.

also i kind of sometimes want to play with them using a magnet, because i am easily amused, like a small child

I only find ear piercings attractive tbh

On 11/1/2016 at 5:05 AM, FenrirDarkWolf said:

I actually don't mind a lot of cheaper/non-brand name foods.

I know they're usually not as good, but they taste pretty good to me, so I buy them anyway.

Also it's good for my non-existent budget.

Same. Off brand sodas and cereals and such are usually similar enough to the actual thing that it doesn't matter much.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

I'm flat out not a fan of most anthro characters. y;

The ones people online make I mean. 

Related to this, I like more monster hybridized human characters than
"Oh hey, it's another furry, in the furry style" stuff.

I suppose this isn't "unpopular" with rational people but:

Your friends are not there to agree with you when you need it. Your friends are supposed to call you out on your bullshit when you're acting like a child and set you straight. If all you want is a bunch of yes-men, you're going about your life wrong.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ChaosCalix said:

I suppose this isn't "unpopular" with rational people but:

Your friends are not there to agree with you when you need it. Your friends are supposed to call you out on your bullshit when you're acting like a child and set you straight. If all you want is a bunch of yes-men, you're going about your life wrong.

Looks like Dragoneer has the worst friends.

• Like 5

genuinely supporting trump for president seems to be p unpopular everywhere i happen to go.

so does being a republican in general. 

C:  welp.

On 11/2/2016 at 10:13 PM, LadyRadarEars said:

I don't like most scaly characters.

[indignant]excuse me but you can kiss my fat reptilian hide[/indignant]

41 minutes ago, Gator said:

genuinely supporting trump for president seems to be p unpopular everywhere i happen to go.

so does being a republican in general. 

C:  welp

I honestly don't care which person you ameribros support, it does not affect my opinion of you in any way.

That is probably unpopular but guys come on worry about your own country jeez.

People who are hurt, injured, or maimed while partaking in 'extreme sports' do not deserve heroic treatment or sympathy.

They knew what they were getting into and no one is obligated to feel sorry for them and give them any kind of special treatment. Other than medical treatment, obviously.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Another Ampers& said:

... aren't you in north carolina?

North Carolina's cities are tied heavily into the research triangle and such, so you have the rural folks on one side, and then the cityfolk and college kids on the other, with military vets and suburbanites divided up equally between the two, mostly. He probably lives closer to where all the jobs are, i.e. the city, and all of its sneering college kids. Its not a red state or a blue state, its like, two states by this point.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, LadyRadarEars said:

North Carolina's cities are tied heavily into the research triangle and such, so you have the rural folks on one side, and then the cityfolk and college kids on the other, with military vets and suburbanites divided up equally between the two, mostly. He probably lives closer to where all the jobs are, i.e. the city, and all of its sneering college kids. Its not a red state or a blue state, its like, two states by this point.

clearly his best bet to find acceptance is to fuck off to the woods then I guess :v

1 minute ago, Another Ampers& said:

clearly his best bet to find acceptance is to fuck off to the woods then I guess :v

Well I mean we rednecks would do that but you cityfolk keep tearing down all of the damn trees to build your shopping centers and suburbias :V

i wanna live in the mountains and only have one neighbor that isn't a fox but alaska is too cold :<

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Another Ampers& said:

... aren't you in north carolina?

yes. 

ladyradarears beat me to it; i live near the city where everyone is a democrat except for the few remaining old white folks whose families were here before all the skyscrapers and crap went up.

17 hours ago, LadyRadarEars said:

He lives in Charlotte. Heck I live out in a more rural area and it's still full of sneering college kids who think they're super enlightened but most of 'em lack any self-awareness or common sense. 

• Like 1