Joel

unpopular opinions

1625 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Vae said:

That is the definition of a home console, yes.

I'm aware, I'm just implying that because I use my PC more for gaming, my consoles are conveniently used as media centers for my TV.

Just now, WolfyAmbassador said:

I'm aware, I'm just implying that because I use my PC more for gaming, my consoles are conveniently used as media centers for my TV.

Media centers makes more sense.

Your wording made it seem like you were streaming games from your console.

On 6/30/2017 at 3:56 PM, Tsuujou said:

Out of shape, virgin nerds really need to shut up about sports games. Madden, 2K, Fifa and the like are well made, often consistent franchises, and extremely popular among the millions of people who enjoy them every year. It doesn't mean the measly 5% of hrdcre Internet gamers that constantly complain about their existence has to like them. That's fine. They're not made for you. If you don't like sports, of course you're not going to have interest. "Oh man, all EA talks about are sports games." YEAH that's their highest selling content, dumbass.
And I swear people who always want to shit on fans of Madden calling them all dudebros sound like they're still bitter about being picked last for kickball during recess. It's the same crap as someone saying you're a gay nerd for playing Zelda instead of GTA. The double standard and lack of self-awareness is real. lmao

"BUT I CAN JUST GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY FOOTBALL!!!"

Oh, so you can just become Peyton Manning and play at the L.A. Memorial Coliseum in front of thousands of people? You're suddenly a professional NBA player on the Lakers? Because I'm preeeetty sure that's the entire appeal of these games to live out that fantasy. 

My thing is that they seem to come out with a game every single damn year, most of the time with seemingly minor changes. It seems silly to pay $60 every year for almost the same game. Though, it's your money. And for some people that might be the only game they buy each year while others are spending $60 x 20 for other games. Or you might be someone who just buys one every few years.

The other thing is because of the demand in releasing a game every year, EA really treats their employees like shit and overworks them to an insane amount to meet those deadlines of a new game every year, in every sport they put a game out for. I think I hate that more than a guy spending $60+ every year.

18 hours ago, Crazy Lee said:

The other thing is because of the demand in releasing a game every year, EA really treats their employees like shit and overworks them to an insane amount to meet those deadlines of a new game every year, in every sport they put a game out for. I think I hate that more than a guy spending $60+ every year.

They are two sides of the same coin: abusive employers who exploit their workers and the customers who enable such behavior.

On 9/29/2017 at 4:39 PM, Crazy Lee said:

My thing is that they seem to come out with a game every single damn year, most of the time with seemingly minor changes. It seems silly to pay $60 every year for almost the same game. Though, it's your money. And for some people that might be the only game they buy each year while others are spending $60 x 20 for other games. Or you might be someone who just buys one every few years.

I read some time ago that sports video game players actually get, on average, twice as many game time hours out of their purchases than gamers overall.  In short, they really like their sports games and play the heck out of them.  Likely because it allows them an interactive experience with the sports teams/games that they are already fans of in real life.

More over, real sports are seasonal, with new rosters, some teams even move to new cities, and lots of incremental changes every year so it makes sense that annual updates would be appealing to the players of those games.

And I say all of this as a nerd who knows nothing of sportsball and has no interest in the games myself.  But I can get why it'd be big to the experience of others.

2 hours ago, CreatorNerd said:

I don't need flu vaccines or whatever if I wash my hands well and cough and sneeze into my elbow.

But like

If you're coughing and sneezing

It means you got ill anyway

2 people like this

At no point is Silent Hill remotely terrifying. It's atmosphere is no more harrowing than Metroid Fusion. It's monsters are corny as fuck.

6 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

At no point is Silent Hill remotely terrifying. It's atmosphere is no more harrowing than Metroid Fusion. It's monsters are corny as fuck.

Metroid Fusion was the only GBA title to give me the heebie jeebies.

1 minute ago, Socketosis said:

I'll give you some heebie jeebies. But after I smoke some jeebie weebies.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Socketosis said:

Being spotted by the SA-X was some shit, man.

1 person likes this

On 10/2/2017 at 3:50 PM, DrDingo said:

But like

If you're coughing and sneezing

It means you got ill anyway

Yeah, and I haven't got sick just because I do that, for a long while.

I know this is sacrilege, but after playing for 60+ hours, BOTW isn’t the best game ever, or even the best Zelda. The absolutey stunning open world *is* one of the best ever, the problem is Nintendo forgot to populate that world with things to do. There’re not enough varied enemies, sidequests are hot garbage, dungeons are too short, shrines get repetitive, and...where are the caves?

For combat, once I reach a certain point, I don’t want to fight anything to waste resources since the enemies have crappier weapons than I have, and they’re guarding something like an opal. Rarely a “leveled” weapon I already have or stopped using a while ago. And sometimes...they aren’t guarding anything at all! Lynels, guardians, Taluses, and Hinoxes are really the only fun enemies. And upgrading my loadout seems to be pointless. Besides Lynels...what am I turning into a super-commando for? Certainly don’t need it for Ganon! 

The game does feel copypasted with all the koroks and shrines and skull camps. This harms exploration. I already know what’s waiting for me on the other side of that hill. There are few surprises and few secrets, and for a Zelda game, that sucks. Skyrim may have a more bland world, but there are lore tidbits and secrets all over the place. You’ll find skeletons with journals, altars to the gods with offerings (that aren’t koroks), side locations with interesting gear, and maybe a really, really tough enemy type that just spawns randomly in a certain area at night. 

Some may say “it’s about the journey”. Well ok Mr Smartypants, how about I remove all content but the worldmap itself, a walking simulator. Is that what you want? If I want to do that, I’ll go hiking in real life. The game doesn’t have enough fresh material to warrant 200 hours of adventure or replayability. There’s no alternate builds (no thief, mage, warrior, summoner, etc you see in RPGs, just sneak armor) to try for a new playthrough, and after you’ve played the game once, you’ve seen everything. One might say that’s expecting too much from a game, but other games *have* achieved this, and they aren’t MMOs. 

BOTW feels like all the fun was frontloaded at the beginning when environmental interaction was important, you were just starting to use the few runes the game gives you, and you’ve probably only done one Divine Beast. But once you’ve played it for a while, you start to see the “seams”, and the world feels so, so artificial and rushed. I feel Nintendo spent all of their time on the overworld and not enough on everything else. Here’s hoping they do improve on this game.

I hope the next DLC part adds a whole bunch of enemies, makes Ganon harder, and adds more lore.

I’d give it a 7 or 8/10. Still a great game, but aside from the overworld, there’s nothing that stands out as special. I’ll still play it from time to time, but I’m playing other games, too.

2 people like this

6 hours ago, Calemeyr said:

I know this is sacrilege, but after playing for 60+ hours, BOTW isn’t the best game ever, or even the best Zelda.

Actually, I've heard a few people have this issue.

BOTW feels like it prioritized wanting to be a Miyazaki film over being a Zelda game.
They really should have given the player more to do, and in a more meaningful way. I get that it takes place after an apocalypse (in a sense), but there still should be extensive and rewarding dungeons at the very least, instead of just tossing everything you need at you in the beginning and going "Welp, have fun."

1 person likes this

32 minutes ago, Vae said:

Actually, I've heard a few people have this issue.

BOTW feels like it prioritized wanting to be a Miyazaki film over being a Zelda game.
They really should have given the player more to do, and in a more meaningful way. I get that it takes place after an apocalypse (in a sense), but there still should be extensive and rewarding dungeons at the very least, instead of just tossing everything you need at you in the beginning and going "Welp, have fun."

Yup. Cale is not alone. I'll be the first to say it's the 2nd weakest console Zelda.
None of my friends even like it anymore. First time Zelda players and longtime fans alike. All of them sold the game and some picked up Horizon Zero Dawn instead.
I agree with Cale on every single point in their post and I don't even think they went in hard enough.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Calemeyr said:

the problem is Nintendo forgot to populate that world with things to do. There’re not enough varied enemies, sidequests are hot garbage

This is the problem with almost every open world game out there and is an argument for why fully open world games shouldn't be made.

Open world games in general suffer because they try to have these really massive worlds to explore almost seamlessly, making it extremely hard to actually make anything in the open world meaningful and have proper level design with stuff to do in it. You can't make a game like that and make the world full of life, quests, interesting things to find and explore, and in general stuff to do. It's simply too much work, so instead you get mostly empty worlds with a few interesting things here and there. Its why I cringed at the thought of Nintendo mimicking Skyrim back when they first announced it, and hearing all this, its depressing to hear that the game seems to suffer exactly that.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Battlechili said:

This is the problem with almost every open world game out there and is an argument for why fully open world games shouldn't be made.

Open world games in general suffer because they try to have these really massive worlds to explore almost seamlessly, making it extremely hard to actually make anything in the open world meaningful and have proper level design with stuff to do in it. You can't make a game like that and make the world full of life, quests, interesting things to find and explore, and in general stuff to do. It's simply too much work, so instead you get mostly empty worlds with a few interesting things here and there. Its why I cringed at the thought of Nintendo mimicking Skyrim back when they first announced it, and hearing all this, its depressing to hear that the game seems to suffer exactly that.

I've played extremely fun open world games that while flawed, I found to still be fulfilling titles and absolutely put Wild to complete shame. But no one would want to entertain that thought because it's Nintendo/Zelda and the general consensus is that this is the best thing to ever be created by man.

It's actually even more upsetting because this is a Zelda game, a series with an established and unique focus that was thrown out the window to be something it's not and was previously...kind of better than?

Don’t get me wrong, I still find the game fun, mostly the exploration side of things, but there are *many* things it could have done better. Finding just a korok on top of the highest mountain in the game outside Death Mountain was a bit of a letdown.

But BOTW is no longer a game I see myself playing for hours every day.

Enemy, lore, and sublocation variety is what saddens me the most. The characters are so bland, too. I blame the senile Miyamoto for this, he probably said “games don’t need story or character, Wii Music was the greatest game ever dumb gaijin!”

1 hour ago, Calemeyr said:

Don’t get me wrong, I still find the game fun, mostly the exploration side of things, but there are *many* things it could have done better. Finding just a korok on top of the highest mountain in the game outside Death Mountain was a bit of a letdown.

But BOTW is no longer a game I see myself playing for hours every day.

Enemy, lore, and sublocation variety is what saddens me the most. The characters are so bland, too. I blame the senile Miyamoto for this, he probably said “games don’t need story or character, Wii Music was the greatest game ever dumb gaijin!”

While I agree with some of the points you've made thus far, the thing that makes me personally love the game, is that it gets me immersed in it's world like no other game ever has, hands down.

Speaking of videogames, I feel like I'm the only one not hyped up for Super Mario Odyssey. While I admire the ability to play as a goomba or a hammer bro (Though I don't know yet what limitations each costume come with) I've never enjoyed Mario games very much. They feel too slow and methodic for my tastes, and I've always preferred Sonic cause I feel like Sonic games tend to have more twitch and action to them that Mario games usually lack, and I generally can just pick them up and play rather then having to worry too much about jumping from enemy to enemy and such. Plus, Mario games always feel clunky to me, yet fans will always say the games are factually perfect in controls: I just don't see it. I even got Super Mario Maker 3DS reccently, and it's honestly become one of my most regretted full-price purchases for a videogame.

That being said, I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion anymore or not, but I played Sonic Adventure for the first time recently, and I have to say that the game is terrible. I like the Chao Garden to an extent and the fact that the game always has new stuff as you go further, but that's about all I liked. The gameplay's not that great, the cameras are bad, the minigames are a joke, and the dialogue is cringe-worthy.

1 person likes this

28 minutes ago, Shiro said:

While I agree with some of the points you've made thus far, the thing that makes me personally love the game, is that it gets me immersed in it's world like no other game ever has, hands down.

From my experience it’s the opposite. I don’t find the game as immersive as it could be. The lack of variety and lack of worldbuilding harms it. I’m playing through FFIV for the first time, and although the world is bare, I feel for the characters and the world. There’s tons of enemies and abilities in the game, and little tidbits here and there.

I think that’s what’s missing. The overworld is very fun to get lost in, but for instance, only finding a Korok on top of the glaciated Hebra peak and not, say, a icy greatsword in a rock with some note next to it took me out (some long forgotten hero hundreds of years ago died here and this is his sword).

I feel the potential for immersion in this game is the best out of any other, but it falls short in fulfilling it because it seems Nintendo just wasn’t a big enough developer to pull it off. 

There still are many places left for me to explore and I will admire the world, but it seems the B-team who were in charge of putting things in that world failes miserably. On every highest peak and deepest hidden grotto, I know all that will be waiting for me is yet another hidden korok rock to push over, or a shrine which may be yet another “test of strength”. When I for once actually found a fire greatsword in a rock underneath the Eldin Leviathan, I almost cried, because that’s what I wanted to see more often. Not super swords everywhere, but something resembling wordbuilding.

The lack of those moments, and the fact that the fun of the plateau can’t be used in mid-late game because enemies are too strong and you have a glider are what breaks the immersion for me.

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, Calemeyr said:

From my experience it’s the opposite. I don’t find the game as immersive as it could be. The lack of variety and lack of worldbuilding harms it. I’m playing through FFIV for the first time, and although the world is bare, I feel for the characters and the world. There’s tons of enemies and abilities in the game, and little tidbits here and there.

I think that’s what’s missing. The overworld is very fun to get lost in, but for instance, only finding a Korok on top of the glaciated Hebra peak and not, say, a icy greatsword in a rock with some note next to it took me out (some long forgotten hero hundreds of years ago died here and this is his sword).

I feel the potential for immersion in this game is the best out of any other, but it falls short in fulfilling it because it seems Nintendo just wasn’t a big enough developer to pull it off. 

There still are many places left for me to explore and I will admire the world, but it seems the B-team who were in charge of putting things in that world failes miserably. On every highest peak and deepest hidden grotto, I know all that will be waiting for me is yet another hidden korok rock to push over, or a shrine which may be yet another “test of strength”. When I for once actually found a fire greatsword in a rock underneath the Eldin Leviathan, I almost cried, because that’s what I wanted to see more often. Not super swords everywhere, but something resembling wordbuilding.

The lack of those moments, and the fact that the fun of the plateau can’t be used in mid-late game because enemies are too strong and you have a glider are what breaks the immersion for me.

I'll be honest, I don't even think Wild's world was anywhere close to the best in the genre. I don't think at any point it comes remotely close to even games the likes of FarCry 3. I never felt like I wasted my time in that game whereas Wild was just a poor man's version of that to me. Like an alpha of FarCry 3 or something. 
But more than anything what absolutely made me upset was how it handled it's dungeons. I was stunned and upset because that's my favorite part of Zelda and what I assumed for the last 20 years to be the main focal point of the franchise.

• 15-20 minutes long
  • 4-6 enemies a piece
  • No unique enemies
  • No unique individual themes
  • No mini boss
  • No dungeon item which means no puzzles unique from everything else in the game
  • No split paths or special gimmick; each shared the same thing of moving the Beast between 2 or 3 positions which changed almost nothing
  • Really bad VERY cheeseable bosses
  • Forgettable near silent music

That doesn't even scratch the surface of the problems I personally had. I honestly just hate this game. lol

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

I'll be honest, I don't even think Wild's world was anywhere close to the best in the genre. I don't think at any point it comes remotely close to even games the likes of FarCry 3. I never felt like I wasted my time in that game whereas Wild was just a poor man's version of that to me. Like an alpha of FarCry 3 or something. 
But more than anything what absolutely made me upset was how it handled it's dungeons. I was stunned and upset because that's my favorite part of Zelda and what I assumed for the last 20 years to be the main focal point of the franchise.

• 15-20 minutes long
  • 4-6 enemies a piece
  • No unique enemies
  • No unique individual themes
  • No mini boss
  • No dungeon item which means no puzzles unique from everything else in the game
  • No split paths or special gimmick; each shared the same thing of moving the Beast between 2 or 3 positions which changed almost nothing
  • Really bad VERY cheeseable bosses
  • Forgettable near silent music

That doesn't even scratch the surface of the problems I personally had. I honestly just hate this game. lol

Skyrim, despite being the normie TES game, had great wordbuilding. Adding ENB to it on PC makes it beautiful and not look like a COD game. Though seeing Oblivion playthroughs, the sidequests weren’t as memorable. Still better than BOTW.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, BennyJackdaw said:

Speaking of videogames, I feel like I'm the only one not hyped up for Super Mario Odyssey. While I admire the ability to play as a goomba or a hammer bro (Though I don't know yet what limitations each costume come with) I've never enjoyed Mario games very much. They feel too slow and methodic for my tastes, and I've always preferred Sonic cause I feel like Sonic games tend to have more twitch and action to them that Mario games usually lack, and I generally can just pick them up and play rather then having to worry too much about jumping from enemy to enemy and such. Plus, Mario games always feel clunky to me, yet fans will always say the games are factually perfect in controls: I just don't see it. I even got Super Mario Maker 3DS reccently, and it's honestly become one of my most regretted full-price purchases for a videogame.

That being said, I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion anymore or not, but I played Sonic Adventure for the first time recently, and I have to say that the game is terrible. I like the Chao Garden to an extent and the fact that the game always has new stuff as you go further, but that's about all I liked. The gameplay's not that great, the cameras are bad, the minigames are a joke, and the dialogue is cringe-worthy.

I'm stupid hype for Mario Odyssey because I love Mario Sunshine to bits and have been waiting for a game similar to that. Galaxy 1 and 2 put me to sleep.
I get MUCH more amped for Sonic though. The fluidity, deftness, and very organic level design of games like Sonic Mania, Generations and Sonic Advance just has a sense of flow that other platformers do not achieve for me. And the sense of velocity when you master the game's is outstanding. Mario's really...sterile. And because of that, he's super easy to emulate and copy and even just outclass. Mario's still great stuff, but I don't get hype for most of his games these days. He's just kind of basic and incredibly easy.

But you talk shit about Sonic Adventure again, we're gonna have to box. That's my unpopular opinion. I love that game. @w@

25 minutes ago, Calemeyr said:

Skyrim, despite being the normie TES game, had great wordbuilding. Adding ENB to it on PC makes it beautiful and not look like a COD game. Though seeing Oblivion playthroughs, the sidequests weren’t as memorable. Still better than BOTW.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of Skyrim mainly because the build options and depth from Oblivion, my first Bethesda game, were totally gone. But if I had a choice? I'd probably pick that over Wild....if I could use mods (which I always have shitty luck with).

EDIT: Saving grace of Breath of the Wild 

tumblr_omqa0edwzq1w7jinho4_400.gif.9107f86911c46030ec0066970d70633a.gif

I feel like I have to mention this every time the topic is brought up.
*stares*