Would you leave Earth forever to colonize another planet?

Lisek

Would you leave Earth to colonize another planet, knowing you will most likely never return?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Would you leave Earth to colonize another planet, knowing you will most likely never return?

• Yes.
    • No.

Here's the scenario, ten thousand people, out of everyone on Earth, are selected based on some merit to colonize another planet twenty light years away - somehow you are one of them. The odds the other 9,999 are people you know are slim, but not impossible. Would you jump at the chance?

This is assuming there is technology to get you there safe and sound in your lifetime; but whether the ship is slow and uses cryogenics, or because of time dilation, even if you were to return everyone you know would already be dead by the time you get back. 

So would you abandon everyone and everything you know to help found a colony on another planet, an experience of a lifetime, or is it just too out there for you to even consider?

Or maybe you really don't care about anything here and say, "Fuck this place".

• Like 1

No, because the only thing that truly matters to me are my pets and the people I know and love. Everything else can be replaced. I have no reason to want to go colonize another planet other than being one of the first and maybe getting my name written in some history book.

Well since it's twenty light-years away and you explicitly said safe and sound, and traveling at the speed of light is impossible for anything of our composition, it would depend. This already assumes we have quite advanced technology that is merely a dream, so if I were allowed to transfer myself into a machine as well then that would be acceptable.

Truthfully though the answer is No. I could not go without my other half, and from my moderately learned understanding of space travel I would have severe doubts as to how successful it would be to go anyway.

So then I have to pose the same question Neil deGrasse Tyson does, why would we go through such extraordinary and unnecessary efforts to colonize somewhere so far away instead of fixing Earth?

And for my own Transhumanist philosophy, why would we even bother with such a thing while we are still subject to finite lifespans?

1 hour ago, Clove Darkwave said:

So then I have to pose the same question Neil deGrasse Tyson does, why would we go through such extraordinary and unnecessary efforts to colonize somewhere so far away instead of fixing Earth?

And for my own Transhumanist philosophy, why would we even bother with such a thing while we are still subject to finite lifespans?

I always thought of it as a "Plan B". We should fix our planet, this is true. But we never know know if some calamity, especially one we don't even have a name for, could befall Earth in a few decades, or a century. So from the standpoint of continued survival of the species, we should at least send one ship out there if we have the resources, just in case. An infinite lifespan doesn't help our species if we all die anyway, right?

1 hour ago, Kaizy said:

Will there be wifi?

Well, sure, you'll just have to deal with waiting 20 years for any Earth Internet content to arrive. There'll be a whole new Internet, free of the crap this one has, and full of entirely different crap.

Edited by Lisek
Wrong Word.

1 minute ago, Lisek said:

Well, sure, you'll just have to deal with waiting 20 years for any Earth Internet content to arrive. There'll be a whole new Internet, free of the crap this one has, and full of entirely different crap.

Well fuck that shit. I'm not waiting 20 years for the hottest new furry smut.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Lisek said:

I although thought of it as a "Plan B". We should fix our planet, this is true. But we never know know if some calamity, especially one we don't even have a name for, could befall Earth in a few decades, or a century. So from the standpoint of continued survival of the species, we should at least send one ship out there if we have the resources, just in case. An infinite lifespan doesn't help our species if we all die anyway, right?

Anything that could destroy our planet would be solvable with that kind of advanced tech. Barring something like our Sun going super saiyan on us. It's true humanity must leave Earth some day, providing we're still around, but I think by then we won't be recognized as Humans as we are now.

Me? probably not.

Not until we have technology that doesn't require us to "travel" through space.

Then again, at that point time would be a moot point because you're not traveling though all these points in space that would stretch out the time experience to include being at all of those points in space between A and Z. 

After watching Interstellar... NOPE.

In all seriousness, we need to figure out if the planet itself is safe, and also if we can prepare enough extra materials before they start getting scarce. Then the time to adapt may cut us down in size -- including morale. Then having to fight whatever batshit crazy creature is like trying to figure out how to wrestle a bear effectively.

It's cool and all, but I'm far too lazy for that shit.

I voted no because I would seriously doubt the judgement of any space travel program that selected me based on merit.  Sure I may be smart, but I am incredibly lazy and actively avoids doing work as much as possible.  Also I have very little knowledge of any practical use that wouldn't be vastly overshadowed by experts in those fields from all around the world. 

Fuck that, did you ever read Hellstar Remina? I ain't gonna spoil it here because it's a fucking good story but no fucking way is that gonna happen to me >.<

Besides, I like Earth. All my stuff is here. And the food isn't bad. And I wouldn't be able to get a job on another planet because I need my mum to look over all my resumes before I send them.

6 hours ago, MissFleece said:

I tried to sign up to go to mars but I was an inch and a half too short >:( 

ONE DAY THE SHORT PEOPLE WILL RULE

ONE DAY.

What disadvantage does being short have? I know it is a NASA requirement as well, if I remember. But in transit you float around most of the way there, and once you are on Mars you can jump higher anyway. Wouldn't signing up only short people save building costs because any doors could be smaller? :V

5 hours ago, Lisek said:

What disadvantage does being short have? I know it is a NASA requirement as well, if I remember. But in transit you float around most of the way there, and once you are on Mars you can jump higher anyway. Wouldn't signing up only short people save building costs because any doors could be smaller? :V

Equipment is build for normal people sizes :/

On 12/10/2015 at 3:24 PM, Hewge said:

...Would this other planet have otters?

you can bring otters and start an otter colony.

id go, it'd be cool, id be immortalized forever as one of the first 10,000 colonists. the dating pool would be so small my beta ass woudl be gettin laid non-stop. still gotta upload the first ever martian webcomic to tumblr tho, so at the end of the day:

On 12/10/2015 at 4:25 AM, Kaizy said:

Will there be wifi?

1 hour ago, Sir Gibby said:

did you actually try or are you just kidding

cos i think you can actually do that but i dont know where or how ;-;

It was like 3 years ago. I don't know if they opened registration back up again for the second trip yet, but yeah! Anyone can register. Unless you're short, apparently. Or super tall. Google it, that's how I found it.

Possibly. It would depend on a number of factors, but being part of the first people to see, explore, and build a new home? How bloody awesome would that be? You'd be remembered for centuries, if not millennia. And you'd have an actual chance at impacting that society.

Nah, I have a girlfriend and a decent life. It would be an amazing opportunity but I think i'd pass. Besides, I dunno how many of you know this, but space travel is absolutely brutal on the human body. Unless there was artificial gravity on this ship you'd get rekt on such a long journey.

On 12/12/2015 at 7:04 PM, MissFleece said:

It was like 3 years ago. I don't know if they opened registration back up again for the second trip yet, but yeah! Anyone can register. Unless you're short, apparently. Or super tall. Google it, that's how I found it.

i should go for it

im gonna go over there and beat the shit out of the Ayys

• Like 1

It would be something absolutely incredible, to me at least.

If I was there, I could do so many things.

I could add who knows how many things to the periodic table. I could discover new types of food and plants, same goes with species of animals. New medicines, fuels, liquids,   energy sources. Hell I could even discover new consolations. 

Sure I would miss my Internet home, but there's so much more good shit that can come out of colonizing a different planet.