Autism?

Brass

Do you have autism?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have autism?

• Yes?
    • No

Apparently yes, but a lot of people I've met think the diagnosis doesn't quite add up, and these are people who work with those on the spectrum. I've also spent tons of time in the company of those who are definitely afflicted by it and our similarities are very narrow. The general consensus says that I may have a false diagnosis but I'm not "normal" either. If I do have it, it's mild.

When I fuck up at any time I'm usually excused based on my hearing impairment anyway. Fuck yeah, stealth autism.

Edited by Sir Gibby
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

Nope. I am surprised how many people have responded 'yes' to the poll, but it's small-# statistics so far. 

My prior hunch for autism prevalence on this forum has remained around 10% just going by how many people self-identified here, the assumption that a significant fraction will not self-identify, and the fact that's it's impossible to spend much time here and not start thinking that the furry fandom is its own spectrum disorder.

Of course, this troll poll probably won't tell you anything. People are going to vote yes regardless just because it's funnier to skew the yes fraction higher, and must users aren't going to participate in the first place.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, axelthefox said:

Surprising the number is so low. Cause there been surveys of the fandom done that suggests that most in the fandom have autism or aspergers. https://www.flayrah.com/5425/survey-suggests-furries-think-differently-arent-crazy

The survey in that link has an incidence of 4%. Obviously that's higher than the general population which is < 2%, but it's not an enormous difference, especially when you consider the methodological limitations of that survey and the difficulty of estimating incidence in the general population.

• Like 4

The question itself is so black and white so I'm just going to answer yes and no

From very young age, doctors suspected I had autism because I barely talked and communicated but they couldn't quite diagnose it. Later on they thought of Aspergers. Nevertheless, I've never received an official diagnosis, I haven't needed any special treatment and life is good and nobody has ever asked me if I have autism/aspergers. 

And from what I have seen from actual autistic people, I am far off from their level, though I share certain similarities. I consider my personality was born and developed naturally and not due to autism/aspergers

5 hours ago, Snagged Cub said:

The question itself is so black and white so I'm just going to answer yes and no

From very young age, doctors suspected I had autism because I barely talked and communicated but they couldn't quite diagnose it. Later on they thought of Aspergers. Nevertheless, I've never received an official diagnosis, I haven't needed any special treatment and life is good and nobody has ever asked me if I have autism/aspergers. 

And from what I have seen from actual autistic people, I am far off from their level, though I share certain similarities. I consider my personality was born and developed naturally and not due to autism/aspergers

Do you do the hang flap thing? Are you able to make eye contact with people?

9 minutes ago, Barnectomy said:

70BG8Tt.jpg

Okay that's cheating. He's the king of autists. 

Just now, Brass said:

*flaps hands* ~~~~hi ^.__.^

hi every1 im new!!!!!!! holds up spork my name is katy but u can call me t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m!!!!!!!! lol…as u can see im very random!!!! thats why i came here, 2 meet random ppl like me _… im 13 years old (im mature 4 my age tho!!) i like 2 watch invader zim w/ my girlfreind (im bi if u dont like it deal w/it) its our favorite tv show!!! bcuz its SOOOO random!!!! shes random 2 of course but i want 2 meet more random ppl =) like they say the more the merrier!!!! lol…neways i hope 2 make alot of freinds here so give me lots of commentses!!!!
DOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <--- me bein random again _^ hehe…toodles!!!!!

love and waffles,

t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m

• Like 1

They didn't know what to do with me, so they gave me a choice. I decided I must have Asperger's since my insurance covers it better than PDD-NOS.

I spent the next five years studying social skills, so my doctor now tells me I don't qualify for the diagnosis since I no longer have symptoms. So I guess it went away? But it's a forever diagnosis, so it's confusing.

8 minutes ago, jcstinks said:

They didn't know what to do with me, so they gave me a choice. I decided I must have Asperger's since my insurance covers it better than PDD-NOS.

I spent the next five years studying social skills, so my doctor now tells me I don't qualify for the diagnosis since I no longer have symptoms. So I guess it went away? But it's a forever diagnosis, so it's confusing.

Maybe the initial diagnosis was incorrect. 

2 hours ago, jcstinks said:

Huh. I thought that diagnosing a PDD in adults was preferably done by focusing on developmental history from childhood. I mean, the point of much behavioral training for autism spectrum is to enable someone to interact as if they did not have ASD; it's not like that actually eliminates the disorder, it just makes it less visible and impairing.

6 hours ago, Onnes said:

Huh. I thought that diagnosing a PDD in adults was preferably done by focusing on developmental history from childhood. I mean, the point of much behavioral training for autism spectrum is to enable someone to interact as if they did not have ASD; it's not like that actually eliminates the disorder, it just makes it less visible and impairing.

The problem is that you can't be diagnosed with a disorder if it doesn't currently impair you. So I may have a janky brain, but I can't take credit for it if I work hard enough to compensate for my deficits.

2 minutes ago, jcstinks said:

The problem is that you can't be diagnosed with a disorder if it doesn't currently impair you. So I may have a janky brain, but I can't take credit for it if I work hard enough to compensate for my deficits.

It really is a perverted sense of impairment. You can compensate, or cope, with lots of things while still holding some level of mental and physical burden from coping. If someone is missing a leg, they can have minimal impairment in their day to day lives, but no one is going to say that they aren't missing a leg and that that doesn't cost them. It seems like a flaw in treating persistent disorders under the same framing as temporary ones and evaluating only observable function. I can't say I've personally heard of a PDD being 'revoked' though.

Um, yeah, as far as I'm concerned, if you have PDD-NOS, you have PDD-NOS. If you have autism, you have autism. If you learn how to cope, then congratulations, you have PDD-NOS or autism, AND some coping strategies for it.

Being able to cope isn't the same thing as being "cured," IMHO.

On 1/15/2016 at 1:38 AM, Onnes said:

It really is a perverted sense of impairment. You can compensate, or cope, with lots of things while still holding some level of mental and physical burden from coping. If someone is missing a leg, they can have minimal impairment in their day to day lives, but no one is going to say that they aren't missing a leg and that that doesn't cost them. It seems like a flaw in treating persistent disorders under the same framing as temporary ones and evaluating only observable function. I can't say I've personally heard of a PDD being 'revoked' though.

There's not much point in diagnosing someone with something if they're coping fine and the diagnosis isn't going to change that, is there? There is a significant risk of over-diagnosis if Doctors do that, for symptom-based pathologies. 

Um, yeah, as far as I'm concerned, if you have PDD-NOS, you have PDD-NOS. If you have autism, you have autism. If you learn how to cope, then congratulations, you have PDD-NOS or autism, AND some coping strategies for it.

Being able to cope isn't the same thing as being "cured," IMHO.

It's possible that an original diagnosis is incorrect, and that the patient only feels they have compensated for a deficiency because they're grown up being told that there is something wrong with them. 

Edited by Saxon

Even I am genuinely surprised how many people are autistic here. Then again, it explains a lot of behavior on the forums. The sudden negative mood swings, difficulty taking criticism, and the tendency to pick posts apart while missing the main point.

On 1/15/2016 at 8:38 PM, Onnes said:

I can't say I've personally heard of a PDD being 'revoked' though.

Not revoked, but rather, if I were to be evaluated now, I would no longer qualify for the diagnosis. The benchmarks for "qualitative impairment" are no longer met.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saxon said:

It's possible that an original diagnosis is incorrect, and that the patient only feels they have compensated for a deficiency because they're grown up being told that there is something wrong with them. 

Oh, absolutely. That could always be a possibility, especially given how admittedly open-ended and loosey-goosey the assessment process can be in these cases.

I've definitely run into situations where there wasn't an exact term for what was going on with a person, but an approximate diagnosis had to be assigned in order for them to be able to receive services and support.

• Like 1