Things that you hate! v2

Sar

Yesterday I had my first Computer Science lecture covering the 'basics' we'll need

That was not basic

There are no numbers, just heaps and heaps of crazy mad symbols, many of which we've never seen before, all at once in an intensive 2-hour session.

I'm cold and scared

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DrDingo said:

Yesterday I had my first Computer Science lecture covering the 'basics' we'll need

That was not basic

There are no numbers, just heaps and heaps of crazy mad symbols, many of which we've never seen before, all at once in an intensive 2-hour session.

I'm cold and scared

That's an... interesting approach o.0 Don't worry too much, it'll all kinda snap together eventually.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrDingo said:

That was not basic

I'm cold and scared

Most University students feel like this when their studies commence. Do you have a list of the recommended reading material/know who to ask for supervisions? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

Most University students feel like this when their studies commence. Do you have a list of the recommended reading material/know who to ask for supervisions? 

Yeah, and they put the PowerPoint slides online and all that. I'm going away and putting in the extra hours of research to try and understand it all

But you know. Going in to the first lecture, understanding very little and stress-revising isn't the most reassuring of experiences

Third-wheeling. Meaning to go out with two people who are together, they talk amongst each other and you feel out of place.

It's just uncomfortable
And the worst bit is that the couple you're hanging around with don't understand how or why you're acting like you are 

because they're both having a good time and expect you to as well

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Chaosmasterdelta said:

The fact that I cant use my phone when its charging since the touchscreen accuracy goes way down during that time

Also how fast my phone losses power. It even uses up power just my existing even if everything is turned off

Phone battery capacity goes down over time and eventually drops down to levels where most people consider the phone to be unusable. Haven't heard loss of accuracy happening but I suggest you should start looking for a new phone, especially if your battery is irreplaceable

1 hour ago, Chaosmasterdelta said:

The fact that I cant use my phone when its charging since the touchscreen accuracy goes way down during that time

Also how fast my phone losses power. It even uses up power just my existing even if everything is turned off

I've had that happen on some cheaper tablets. My guess is electrical interference in the touchscreen system from the charging circuit.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DrDingo said:

Yeah, and they put the PowerPoint slides online and all that. I'm going away and putting in the extra hours of research to try and understand it all

But you know. Going in to the first lecture, understanding very little and stress-revising isn't the most reassuring of experiences

Sounds like a typical weed-out class. It's designed to look big and scary to weed out the less committed and dabblers. Make it through and it will get better. Sounds like your on track to do just that, though! Good luck!

• Like 1

AUGH! D8

I just remembered the power company was supposed to cut the power to do maintenance on a transformer today at 9. It's now 10.

I forgot to put my computer into hibernate mode. I had a render going instead, so even if my UPS caught it, it'll drain well before they're done QnQ

15 minutes ago, LazerMaster5 said:

I hate how many political signs I see around town. On my trip to Kentucky last weekend I only saw a small handful, but here in Mentor just about every other house has one. Bombardment is not how you gain votes, people.

It's not about gaining votes its about making people go "Jeeze, look at all the support for [opposed candidate] I guess there's no point in voting" It's a confidence trick.

I saw a gigantic sign on the back of a big fat truck for the local congress critter yesterday, just driving around. I hope it tangles in some low hanging powerlines BU

1 hour ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

I hate how I have to keep beating on the door of my mom's car in order to make the right speaker work. At least I can beat it to the beat of We Will Rock You.

You can pry the cover off and fix that, you know. At most therecent will be a couple of Phillips screws.

3 minutes ago, Sylver said:

How have people not discovered who they are?

Because there are hundreds of them.
We currently have a clown epidemic that is probably a massive, flash-mob style prank/crime thing going on, with some people using it as cover for shady activities, and a lot going 'haha this is gonna be great.'

That or It is real and we're all fucked :V

4 hours ago, Sylver said:

That should mean the chance of catching them is greater.

If I had the resources, I'd gather all the information available regarding the clowns. The images, recordings, and descriptions of them may provide information such as their height, build, skin colour, hair colour, hair type, etc. Unless someone's mom is sewing clown costumes for hundreds of people, they bought them somewhere. Certain clowns (same costume and physical description) likely appear in the same area, and from that information you could find every store that sells items matching that clown's description within a certain radius. You then go to the stores and ask for a list of all people who purchased those costumes within 6 months prior to that clown appearing. If the costume was purchased online, you may be able to discern information from that as well, though I doubt it. The same applies for literally any other item they are wearing.

If you can gather information describing the clown's actualy physical details, you may be able to check for all people with a history of appropriate mental illness (no idea what you'd search for) within a certain radius of the clown sightings. (I heard that some of the clowns are attacking people, so it's likely those people also have a history of mental illness)

Clowns don't appear out of thin air. They obviously got from A to B, meaning they traveled in a car or some other way. If they got out of their car and walked to somewhere else in the woods, then they left footprints. Follow the footprints, find the tire tracks, and you have the type of tires they used. Find out who sells those tires and for what car.Find out who sells those tires and for what car.

Yada yada yada...

Even without access to video cameras or a police badge, the average person could gather a very large amount of information by simply looking at the shit already online and joining the dots. It might not solve the case, but it may prove useful to others. It could also scare the clowns when they see that people have acquired so much information, and they go "Oh shit we better stop or they'll find out who we are."

I'm not sure if you appreciate the size of the relevant populations. Tire tracks have been used in court cases before, but only to verify a vehicle already suspected. There's just too many produced to go fishing for a tire. Same situation with clothing (which you can expect to be distributed by several outlets) or medical records. But then that information would not be helpful even if it could be procured, which is not so easy for the police due to legal restrictions (You need a warrant for that stuff, and they don't just hand those things out) and impossible for civilians.

There appears to be a lot of copycatting instead of organization, which means there are a lot of random people doing things their own way, and they are unlikely to be deterred by information gathering.

I just found out about this yesterday, by the way.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sylver said:

Why do most Americans seem so afraid of everything?

Because they've been conditioned to be this way; people who are scared are much easier to control. Hence: The doom and gloom 'appeal' of Trump where everyone not white is out to get us; the drum-beat of Madison Ave. convincing us to buy this and that and to look certain ways to be 'normal'  and acceptable', the way our self esteem is sold to us with products, from designer clothes, to iPhones, the tendency of the news to hype and exaggerate things to make money, and keep others in their place. 

If Americans are good at one thing, it has to being afraid of almost everything.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sylver said:

We're creatures that use fear to stay alive set free on a foreign continent with nobody we'll listen to to tell us that certain things are not as dangerous as we think they are. Those that we do listen to will tell us that things are dangerous in order that they might gain power from it. That's my guess, at least.

One can see that happening in the diaries of English colonists across the coast, and it even pops up in the Declaration of Independence when complaints are listed. It is really hard to find a grievance in the Declaration of Independence that isn't exaggerated or taken out of context to help gain support.

I don't think tax collectors actually swarmed down like locusts or that the King incited the natives against them when the colonists were the ones attacking the natives for land.

Speaking of, I hate the Declaration of Independence. It had absolutely no bearing on the governments those individuals would come to found, and those governments largely flew in the face of the principles they had claimed to be rebelling over.

Manifestos of that sort are usually just meant to lure the educated and inflame the uneducated, and it did exactly that.

The randomness of engineering related apprenticeships on offer.

Going on indeed.co.uk and plugging "engineering apprenticeship"  in got me all manner of results such as:

Companies I have never head of

Places that are advertising roles that are not directly engineering related

Places I have no chance working for even if I wanted like the army, post office and GCHQ

People who rant about things that are a waste of time.

iphone vs android

they both have strengths and weekness. Pick what suits your hearts content and move on.

Consol vs PC

same thing

Cakes vs I've cream

again same thing

Tea vs coffee

just drink both man. Both taste good :P

7 hours ago, Augmented Husky said:

People who rant about things that are a waste of time.

iphone vs android

they both have strengths and weekness. Pick what suits your hearts content and move on.

Consol vs PC

same thing

Cakes vs I've cream

again same thing

Tea vs coffee

just drink both man. Both taste good :P

You're wrong and I shall debate you to the death to prove it!

Seriously though, my coworkers have latched on to a phrase lately 'Apples and oranges: how can you not compare them, they're both fruit!' And it annoys me to no end. They aren't serious about it, it's just another non-sequitur phrase the randomly parrot out. I hate that crap.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2016 at 8:49 PM, Sylver said:

Honestly, because a lot of Americans live really cushy lifestyles. We have our problems with gun violence and police militarization and shit, sure, but it's the same effect that rich people have when they go to the part of town "with all the minorities."
We're literally the spoiled rich kids of the world.

OT: Wanting to be productive, but also having no compulsion or energy to.
The coffee isn't helping much.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

Baby metal. My entire group of friends got crazy into it out of nowhere. I already hate metal as it is. Mix jpop with it and it's cancer for my ears. No thanks. You can have that. Lol

...this is a thing that exists?

1471134158904.gif

• Like 4

Our Aga is having problems so it's been shut off, and it makes me realise just how much I take for granted, the heat it produces. It's a chilly day as it is, but last night my bedroom was noticeably colder since part of the Aga piping runs through the closet in my room and heats it up like crazy. It's unbearable in the summer, but I feel like it's a gift in the winter.

Dad said recently though that he needs to fireproof it though because apparently it could catch fire at any moment. Nice to know!