Rant: Social Media Memes

Ginpanther

Electronic communication is always evolving, I get it. Gone are the days of the early 90s when "TSIA" stood for Title Says It All and people used "LMAO" to mean they were laughing (in a non-ironic way) to the point they worried their ass may fall off. I get that I'm moving on in years and that everything continues to change, but it seems like the current trends in social media are either dumber than hell or just based in troll culture.

Examples that were raised in Discord chat tonight include (but are not limited to):

• "le" anything
  • Tumblr (and those who mimic Tumblr-originated behavior) who like, always ask questions???? with lots of punctuation?????? because reasons????????? Especially??? When it isn't a question????
  • The use of contrived acronyms and shortening of phrases such as "smh" or "b/c" and "ppl"
  • The uwu face

It universally comes across as a snotty, self-centered middle class white girl posting it.

What other social media trends do YOU hate???????

itll-happen-to-you.png

It took me forever to figure out what "smh" stood for because it was never used in the same context. I'm not sure the people using it knew what it meant. Honestly, I'm not sure I know what it truly means yet. Since I never plan to use it I don't really care to find out though.

Excessive punctuation bothers me a lot. One of my superiors in my clan mis-uses "...", using it for inappropriate reasons and when using it for the right reasons over does it with many moar dots.

The only other meme that actively irritates me is the stupid doge one. Such stupid, much hate.

Edit: Ahh yes, and "lol", especially when used excessively (which used to be a big deal, but haven't seen it overused in a while). If I must use some form of that to express silliness, I use "lolz" just to be different and it doesn't feel as wrong.

Edited by Kinare
  • Like 1

It took me forever to figure out what "smh" stood for because it was never used in the same context. I'm not sure the people using it knew what it meant. Honestly, I'm not sure I know what it truly means yet. Since I never plan to use it I don't really care to find out though.

I'm not afraid to admit it took me more than a few days of sifting through Tumblr when I first joined, and reading other sites that reblog Tumblr (or ape the style), before I could figure out what the hell "smh" meant. As I said in the opening, I'm getting older and times are changing.

am-i-out-of-touch-no-its-the-children-who-are-wrong.jpg

"le" anything

I've only ever seen people do that in a terrible attempt to be ironic. At this point if I did actually meet someone doing it seriously I would despise them less than the people who think they're making fun of it.

Tumblr (and those who mimic Tumblr-originated behavior) who like, always ask questions???? with lots of punctuation?????? because reasons????????? Especially??? When it isn't a question????

Sometimes this is just for intensity!!! But also when this thing??? should not????? confuse you?????? At least most of the time when I see someone do that, especially on tumblr, it's to highlight the fact that what seems really fucking obvious to the poster is apparently a difficult concept for [some people they're probably ranting about].

As for things like 'ppl', I have mixed feelings about it. On some platforms you are needlessly restricted to a low number of characters, and while I personally just elect to not use them, I can understand why people would get in the habit of shortening things and then just keep doing it elsewhere. However, some of the worst offenders I've ever seen for this kind of thing are old people. My father does this. I just type normally even in text messages, but he's always been shit at typing: it takes him forever. so u get msgs lik dis

• Tumblr (and those who mimic Tumblr-originated behavior) who like, always ask questions???? with lots of punctuation?????? because reasons????????? Especially??? When it isn't a question????
  • The use of contrived acronyms and shortening of phrases such as "smh" or "b/c" and "ppl"

Generally, multiple punctuation denotes emphasis.
So a question?? with lots of punctuation????? would signify how confusing or obvious something is, depending on the amount used.

Abbreviations are literally no different from the intention of classic acronyms. They're there to refer to something shorthand.
Hell, "smh" is an acronym, itself.
It's no different than the "tsia" and "lmao" examples you used at the beginning of the post.

There are occasionally really stupid memes that pop up, that I just kind of ignore.
Like doge.
And the mineral thing that was going on for a while.
It's usually only the particularly "lolrandomXD" and tryhard shit that gets on my nerves.

I've never been fond of uwu either.
But I'm not fond of emoticons in general. I never really have been.

Take heart OP, people you want no conversations with are self-identifying themselves without you having to take pains to sift through them!

There aren't many memes I like these days, but every once in a while something clever comes along for a little while. I tend to just treasure the old ones that gave me some memories of humor.

• Like 1

Generally, multiple punctuation denotes emphasis.
So a question?? with lots of punctuation????? would signify how confusing or obvious something is, depending on the amount used.

Abbreviations are literally no different from the intention of classic acronyms. They're there to refer to something shorthand.
Hell, "smh" is an acronym, itself.
It's no different than the "tsia" and "lmao" examples you used at the beginning of the post.

There are occasionally really stupid memes that pop up, that I just kind of ignore.
Like doge.
And the mineral thing that was going on for a while.
It's usually only the particularly "lolrandomXD" and tryhard shit that gets on my nerves.

I've never been fond of uwu either.
But I'm not fond of emoticons in general. I never really have been.

DO YOU LOVE THE COLOR OF THE SKY

i find that at least the internet is developing separate dialects at least, because there are some places (like say tumblr) where it's the #only use punctuation to overstate things but not at the end of sentences????????? #hyper-ironic #put #the #hashtag in the middle #of #sentences #because somehow it's too hard to not look as #passive aggressive #as possible #when talking (can you tell that i don't like it?) and that's a culture of speech that's more accepted between certain personalities

whereas others just behave in an entirely different method of thought from a dialectic standpoint. forums are interesting because it always seems to cultivate multiple; a mixture of people who drive their speech with classic english, those who embrace shorthand text speech, my personal favourite of unpunctuated lower case bullshit, etc etc. 

i see people saying like "i miss this" or "i miss that" and for me personally i still see most of the things referenced...really just depends on who is around you

for me personally i find it interesting that even written english is no longer limited to certain strict nuances in these sorts of places, and i kind of enjoy that it isn't...to an extent. there are things i greatly dislike, but i don't usually try to stifle them because that's the thing, language is expressive and just because i dislike an expression doesn't make it less of one

• Like 1

Frankly I think that's worse. Reminds me of channers that won't let go of "lulz"

What channers are these, exactly? To my knowledge, "lulz" disappeared 6 years ago.

Of course anyone that self identifies as a "channer" is a moron or an internet newbie anyway.

It's fun to watch the diverging internet cultures grow, I'm actually kind of excited to see what society it will ultimately generate. Or will there never be one, all of the branches dying off and disappearing into the internet archives like so many before it?

What channers are these, exactly? To my knowledge, "lulz" disappeared 6 years ago.

Heh, you'd be surprised what hasn't disappeared. Did you know Rickroll and Chuck Norris jokes are still out there? Anyway, maybe I was wrong in saying channers. Come to think of it, whenever I see "lulz" used, it comes from furries...

Wut the heck even is a channer? God dang internet terms confusing people.

I can't believe I forgot this, but fucking Grumpy Cat is irritating, ESPECIALLY when used for political or religious views... Who the fuck are you to tell me what this cat thinks about gun control and Jesus? I feel very bad for that poor cat, having it's deformed but still adorable self misused by internet idiots.

There was another one I thought about yesterday that I was surprised wasn't mentioned yet, but I can't remember for the life of me... rawr. I will remember. 3<