General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

Read about a movie named "Compliance" in a reddit thread that claimed this movie will make you look away from it without any gore, violence or horror involved in it

Well, I rented that movie (not available in Netflix) and turns out people were right. I am writing this at one hour mark with movie paused because I can't bear how people in the movie are willing to do certain horrible things voluntarily just because someone merely claimed to be an authority figure and told the people to do them

Worse still, this movie claims to be based on true story. I just lost a speck of my hope to humanity by watching this movie

14 minutes ago, Snagged said:

Read about a movie named "Compliance" in a reddit thread that claimed this movie will make you look away from it without any gore, violence or horror involved in it

Well, I rented that movie (not available in Netflix) and turns out people were right. I am writing this at one hour mark with movie paused because I can't bear how people in the movie are willing to do certain horrible things voluntarily just because someone merely claimed to be an authority figure and told the people to do them

Worse still, this movie claims to be based on true story. I just lost a speck of my hope to humanity by watching this movie

Another good movie that provokes thought on authoritarianism is 'The Stanford Prison Experiment.' You might have heard of it as it's a true story - it's about an academic study carried out in the 70s or so, where random people are hired in a prison roleplay, where a random selection are guards, and a random selection prisoners, and they go about a stereotypical prison routine for a few days. It really highlights how easily people abuse their power just because they can. The experiment got cut drastically short as things got so out of hand.

22 minutes ago, Wax said:

Another good movie that provokes thought on authoritarianism is 'The Stanford Prison Experiment.' You might have heard of it as it's a true story - it's about an academic study carried out in the 70s or so, where random people are hired in a prison roleplay, where a random selection are guards, and a random selection prisoners, and they go about a stereotypical prison routine for a few days. It really highlights how easily people abuse their power just because they can. The experiment got cut drastically short as things got so out of hand.

Yes, I've read about this. Truly horrifying. The guards made the prisoners to make their bed sheets, even tho they were as neatly arranged as they could already be. They did this just because they could and were authorized to do it. 

The experiment was ended prematurely because of how cruel it ended to be

There's also another well documented experimentation about test subjects being called into a room with a button, a window and a speaker. In the other end of the speaker was a scientist who ordered the subject to press the button. After pressing the button, the subjects could hear screams from behind the window and see a man writhing in pain as the button they pressed delivered electric shocks to the victim. The shocks weren't real, the man was acting but the subjects didn't know this. When subjects questioned the scientist, the scientist simply told it is important for them to keep pressing the button until the victim fell silent. All in the name of research. Horrifyingly, 70% (IIRC) of subjects complied to the point where the actor victim fell silent. 

The ability to establish yourself as an authority figure truly holds significant power to the point it scares me. Prime example being Hitler who either forced or convinced his people to commit heinous atrocities just by being charming and manipulative enough to rise in power

20130630.png

20130630after.gif

Milgram's experiment on the other hand is quite amusing. He did show that people, mostly, (around 65% of the experiment subjects) were willing to blindly obey authority to commit torturous acts under extraordinary circumstances. There are things to keep in mind about this that are often downplayed by the media. He included in his study variations showing that proximity to the person being tortured dramatically decreased the participant's willingness to commit the act. Varying from being in another room unable to see the participant to having the victim be in the same room, up to forcing the person to come in physical contact with the person in order to administer the "punishment." Its easier to commit evil with the diminished salience of the victim.

Proximity to the authority figure also played a factor. He did several variations where the authority figure was in the room, the authority figure started out in the room, left, then gave orders by phone, and where there was simply a recording of the authority figure's orders to follow. The further removed from the subject the authority figure was the more likely the people were to defy their orders.

Its important to keep in mind the situationalism of the experiment as well. The very fact the experiment was done in a laboratory setting helps play a factor in people's obedience rate. Because the authority figure was a scientist, people will more willing to go along with it due to the assumption that this is all a game done for knowledge or fun and that scientists take care of their human test subjects and are not out to cause them permanent harm. So its not accurately replicating blind obedience to just any authority figure, but obedience to "science." The Zimbardo experiment had the same issue. Further, because the shocks were administered gradually in small increments, the authority figure groomed the person to be in the right psychological mindset to increase the voltage to dangerous levels. They didn't simply go from 15 volts up to 150, but in small amounts causing a foot-in-the-door phenomenon. Because the person had already agreed to the small request by the authority figure it became much harder to back out later on.

It would be erroneous to simply assume that all people are willing to immediately, blindly obey evil orders by authority. What Milgram demonstrated was that it takes extraordinary circumstances for this to occur. It is much more difficult and time consuming to reproduce in a natural setting. It took years of careful manipulation and creating a convincing ideology for people for Nazi Germany to normalize the dehumanization of the Jews. Authority is a powerful tool, but it really does requires an extraordinary concurrence of events over time to get people to act in extremes.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

I checked my instagram and @Sidewalk Surfboard followed me on there, and at first I was curious because I don't remember sharing it on here or FA (as I'm trying to keep my insta SFW).

But then I remembered it's part of my YouTube description.

Honestly I have no idea how I found you on there but I thought "Eh, why not?"

• Like 1

I don't know how it got in the bag but I've managed to find what seems to be a vintage germanium PNP transistor in with assorted modern ones.

I'm having a hard time identifying the manufacturer (so I can find the datasheet)

Oddly enough it's the same one (called GD241) on the Wikipedia page for TO-66 (the huge package it's in)

What's nice about it is it was meant as a amplifier output so can take a vast amount of current (3A I think). Though I'll need a wire to stick on the case to connect it unlike the others in the bag that can go straight in the breadboard.

• Like 1

Mentioned Furry to my therapist today... he had no idea what it was, which was a bit of a relief. I know that they're not supposed to be judgemental, but boy was it hard to bring it up especially considering he's a comic geek. Watch him now google it and his head explodes.

So, last weekend I was at MCFC furry con. It was fun. Big pool party on Friday, and you know you throw a good pool party when not con security but HOTEL security gets called on you. Don't think I've ever had that much fun in a pool.

Met @Rukh Whitefang in person. Different than what I expected, tall, lanky. Nice facial hair though. Seemed cool. Forgot to get a picture of us.

Fursuited for the first time ever. Borrowed a friend's second suit. Don't know how I feel about it. Imagine wrapping your head in a bunch of foam and peering through two tiny holes an inch in diameter. I was hot and stuffy in the first 5 minutes I had it on, I can't imagine how people do it all day. Almost passed out after an hour. Also, during the parade, I was goofing off for a cameraman, turned, and proceeded to run right into a 4-foot-tall light post. Bruised my belly quite well. If the pole was any lower I'd be walking funny and people would think I mounted a giant bad dragon. Not my fault you can't see under 5" in a suit.

Also, we were in the news. Google https://www.google.com/#q=woman+goes+to+furry+con and it's copied all over.

Basically, the lady in the article was the head of the animal charity we were sponsoring. She had no idea what furries were. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4405790/Woman-mistakenly-takes-therapy-dog-furry-convention.html

http://nymag.com/selectall/2017/04/woman-brings-therapy-dog-to-furry-convention.html

Did you have a favorite furry costume?
The one, and I thought he might really put off my Link, was the big guy in the black wolf costume. He looked so awesome. He even has a different tint on the eyes, the degree of workmanship is amazing. It’s like Hollywood level. That guy’s costume was probably my favorite, and he seemed to really enjoy Link, too.

@Rukh Whitefang yours was the lady's favorite fursuit.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

So, last weekend I was at MCFC furry con. It was fun. Big pool party on Friday, and you know you throw a good pool party when not con security but HOTEL security gets called on you. Don't think I've ever had that much fun in a pool.

Met @Rukh Whitefang in person. Different than what I expected, tall, lanky. Nice facial hair though. Seemed cool. Forgot to get a picture of us.

Fursuited for the first time ever. Borrowed a friend's second suit. Don't know how I feel about it. Imagine wrapping your head in a bunch of foam and peering through two tiny holes an inch in diameter. I was hot and stuffy in the first 5 minutes I had it on, I can't imagine how people do it all day. Almost passed out after an hour. Also, during the parade, I was goofing off for a cameraman, turned, and proceeded to run right into a 4-foot-tall light post. Bruised my belly quite well. If the pole was any lower I'd be walking funny and people would think I mounted a giant bad dragon. Not my fault you can't see under 5" in a suit.

Also, we were in the news. Google https://www.google.com/#q=woman+goes+to+furry+con and it's copied all over.

Basically, the lady in the article was the head of the animal charity we were sponsoring. She had no idea what furries were. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4405790/Woman-mistakenly-takes-therapy-dog-furry-convention.html

http://nymag.com/selectall/2017/04/woman-brings-therapy-dog-to-furry-convention.html

@Rukh Whitefang yours was the lady's favorite fursuit.

MCFC has always been a blast for me, the liquor panels are fantastic with Alkali. Mainly go with friends and just party. I suited a lot over the con. Spent 18 hours in the armor and about 10 in full suit in 2 days. My head is resin so it doesn't get as hot as a foam head. The news articles are hilarious, the Huffington Post picked the story up, along with a half dozen other media outlets. And today the Kelly Ripa show did a segment on it using a photo of my costume. Its been a very weird day today.

• Like 2

I've found there is no chance whatsoever of me finding a datasheet for this GD241C transistor that somehow ended up in a bag with others from Germany.

Seeing as it came from east Germany the chance of a full set of data for it existing now is remote as technical data like that would have only been given in booklets to those the USSR liked.

Maybe I can sell it to a audiophile for £20 later.

1 hour ago, Crazy Lee said:

Hmm, should I post pictures from my con here, or in a new thread?

I don't want to spam this thread with a bunch of pics. I could just use a spoiler tag.

You could use the spoiler tag, or maybe start a thread in the "Conventioneering" section.

• Like 2

I know I'm complaining a bit and this problems is probably one of the dumbest, but damn I wish I hadn't broken that tablet.

It's not so much that it's broken but that I broke it in such a stupid way. I even thought about turning on the light beforehand but decided against it.

And now I keep thinking "oh I'll just do it on my tablet- oh wait."

And for the past, 2 years? I've slept while listening to music. Now it's just dead silent. 2 years of music or videos in the background, and now, nothing. I could use my phone but I can't afford to hurt the battery on that by using it like that. And I forgot to set something as an alarm so I barely got to school today.

It's just so weird without it.

• Like 3

Thank goodness, another new-process procedures revision meeting!

A brief respite from preparing this titanic presentation @_@ 

36 minutes ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

I know I'm complaining a bit and this problems is probably one of the dumbest, but damn I wish I hadn't broken that tablet.

It's not so much that it's broken but that I broke it in such a stupid way. I even thought about turning on the light beforehand but decided against it.

And now I keep thinking "oh I'll just do it on my tablet- oh wait."

And for the past, 2 years? I've slept while listening to music. Now it's just dead silent. 2 years of music or videos in the background, and now, nothing. I could use my phone but I can't afford to hurt the battery on that by using it like that. And I forgot to set something as an alarm so I barely got to school today.

It's just so weird without it.

Have you considered checking out one of those DIY repair sites/youtube vids? I hear they're really good at getting precise instructions, sometimes down to the specific make and model. Maybe you can fix it yourself!

• Vae pinned this topic