Ambitions!

FlynnCoyote

"You think I wanna be an immortal omniscient being my whole life? I got ambitions, man!"

Happy thread, talk about the things you want out of life, the things you're working towards. The steps you're taking to get there.

Me ams working two jobs, plus the odd commissions giz to pay off a car and build up funds for a Technical course. I'm seeking to further my education so I can open up more job options and maybe one day I'll be able to afford a place on my own.

On a less ob related note, I've been working on a manuscript for a novel for the last year and a bit. Free time is sparse, but I plug away whenever I can find the time and energy to do it and hopefully one day it will find publishing. A couple years ago my therapist and I figured out that I am in my element when I'm exercising creative energy, so to have an achievement like that with my name on it would be a fuckin sweet personal victory.

Go! Tell me yours.

• Like 2

I'm hoping (fingers crossed, knock on wood, rub buddha's fat belly) that I get the veterinary hospital job I went to the interview for AND it's decent pay for starting out. I'll keep the details short on this but I still have to get a call back for a work interview. If I dont get it that's fine since I have a stable, steady job now and there's always other options out there but this one is essentially all my hopes and dreams. My resume and credentials are also very, very good for what it is, if I happen not to get it it would have to be because I was overshadowed by someone better than me. 

I'm trying to pay down my bills and save money (though that's my slowest ambition)

But lastly, I think I'm learning to tackle the biggest and final weakness of my anxiety, which has been my biggest bane in life. My therapist shared with me a few decent tips. My main goal lately is talking to people more, whether in person or PMing new people online. 

I'm learning to curb my mental anxiety every time I relapse on a recent, fresh memory that I have to mentally jolt out of because it hurts. In addition to breathing techniques and worry stone today I made up a short poem of sorts to repeat so I keep awkward mental memories away:

Today is but a memory

Tomorrow it will fade away

At the forefront of the mind guards a sentry

To keep the terrors at bay

• Like 5

I'll share I guess.

Working on physics PhD. Concentrating in Ion Beam and Plasma physics. Split my time between working in the accelerator lab and writing simulations/computational models.

The Ion Beam research focuses on Ion Beam Induced Luminescence, High Energy Rutherford Backscattering Spectroscopy, and Trace Element Accelerator Mass Spectrometry. I recently completed the design, machining, assembly, and installation of a charge integration system for the micro-beam section; in order to obtain an accurate count of the number of protons in the beam when samples are being run.

I also write computational simulations to model electron-positron-antiproton plasmas (and other types), as well as various particle-antiparticle interactions. I and the rest of this research group are currently in collaboration with CERN writing simulation models for high-energy particle collisions, focusing on the production of antiparticles from such collisions.

• Like 6

Alright. Mostly, I just want some stability. I'd like to be completely self supportive and have a place of my with someone I love. To that end, I'm working towards my degree (with no debt so far) and training for a new real job. There are other things, I still need to work on keeping out of ruts and making friends, that sort of thing. In the medium term, I'm trying to learn a language so I can go to Europe and be useful for at least once. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

But lastly, I think I'm learning to tackle the biggest and final weakness of my anxiety, which has been my biggest bane in life. My therapist shared with me a few decent tips. My main goal lately is talking to people more, whether in person or PMing new people online. 

This is one I probably should have mentioned myself as well. I haven't had a really bad breakdown in a few months now, but there are times that it still lingers and slows me down from whatever it is I'm trying to get done. Before two years ago I never realized how hard it could actually be to deal with.

• Like 1

While I do have ambitions, I am far too generalist to decide what I should pursue. Probably something to do with computers or advising people in some professional manner because that's what I enjoy doing. I just want to be happy doing something I get paid for

In the long term, learn and become very skilled in networking, security and computer sciences, and find a good, enjoyable job doing it.

In the really long term, end up happy, without having really rather large gaps between it.

and, idk, learn the accordion, because why not?

• Like 2

I'd like to one day own a home out in the country side, working a stable mindless job to where I can come home and still feel energized enough to do my hobby (assuming I've not retired by then). As well, maybe have someone to settledown with, but that's more on the back-burner (for now?). Just simple stuff. This is more of the endgame plan.

For current (& more realistic ambitions); finishing up getting my full license. Improving my art to where I'm proud enough to sign my work. Getting in shape. Grabbing a full time job for some swell benefits! And err, somehow finish up getting my highschool diploma. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Moogle said:

I'd like to one day own a home out in the country side, working a stable mindless job to where I can come home and still feel energized enough to do my hobby (assuming I've not retired by then). As well, maybe have someone to settledown with, but that's more on the back-burner (for now?). Just simple stuff. This is more of the endgame plan.

I'd settle for just owning a home. Doesn't seem very feasible in the UK.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Faust said:

I'd settle for just owning a home. Doesn't seem very feasible in the UK.

It is sad the world has come to this but I guess it will be inevitable as the space for living will eventually run out in the most desirable locations

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Moogle said:

For current (& more realistic ambitions); finishing up getting my full license. Improving my art to where I'm proud enough to sign my work. Getting in shape. Grabbing a full time job for some swell benefits! And err, somehow finish up getting my highschool diploma. 

Did you have trouble getting that done? There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting a diploma later in life.

4 hours ago, Jtrekkie said:

Did you have trouble getting that done? There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting a diploma later in life.

Yeah a tiny bit, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed so my grades were pretty awful. The thing is I've only got a couple of credits left, so I'm sure it wouldn't take me long either. Ah and there's definitely nothing wrong with getting it a bit late, but it'd still be embarassing to be amoung younger people and probably end up struggling still. If I was 20 sure, but 25 is pushing it a bit much..

Got this itch to create a game I dubbed Biomancy, I have spent multiple weeks of time over a couple of years to work out the details, but never got around to programming it which I'm thinking of doing in ActionScript. The ambition to get it done in my lifetime is still there though, just afraid I'll get stuck trying to get it done and not enjoy life.
Oh yeah, gotta get some art skills to back that up, but a first version in kind of text-adventure with minimal graphics is probably gonna be the end result.

Next to that there is of course the general happy life standard package including family, job and money. But a person to back up my ambitions would be pretty rad, just gotta get out there and present myself, someday.
Pretty well on my way to get some of that done though, almost got my Bachelor in Software Engineer/Computer Science and gotta get my hands dirty real soon once my internship is over in a month or so.

Eh, I'll see where it all goes as I'm content the way life is going. Still so much to see and do and experience.

• Like 1

Well, right now I'm working on getting my permit so I can have my license around the time I turn 18.

I'm not going to act like I have life all figured out, but over the long term an academic career in pure math sounds appealing to me. I'm working out of a couple books over the summer (and hopefully this next school year too) to get a head start on things, so ideally I'll be in a pretty good place once I start university. Honestly I really regret that I didn't start doing exactly this two years ago, but what can ya do. Better to start being proactive now than to obsess over what could have been.

• Like 2

Biggest ones are:

- Finish my degree in Marketing
- Finish learning how to drive
- Get a job and/or work with my high school's colorguard
- Visit @Mr. Sparta and maybe, eventually, move up there with him?
- Improve my drawing and winterguard skills

Other ones that are more like pipe dreams than ambitions:

- Join an independent guard

• Like 2

Uhhh, dying in my sleep because that would be the best thing right now? Not like I haven't come close, which gives really really trippy dreams when your brain is starved of oxygen. I'm hoping by the end of the week, but I don't really have much control over it.

I mean, tbh my only achieveable goal is probably to do the dishes today or talk with close friends more than once a month?

So much for wanting to become a jagabaya in silat, living in a tiny house, furthering my now rusty skills as hypnotist extradinaire, getting in shape, finding decent employment, or programming an RTS engine / game maker in Java.

Dreams are pretty great until their corpses rot and fill your lungs with the stench of utter failure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fantasma said:

Dreams are pretty great until their corpses rot and fill your lungs with the stench of utter failure.

If you're alive, you have the means to keep them alive too. I can't speak for your situation, but I can say that giving up is only going to make your feel worse.

I've had dreams that failed, and for one reason or another became unattainable. If you must aim low, at least do it with the intent of climbing after the low shots and aiming a little higher for the next one.

• Like 3

I'm on draft three of my third novel, so I guess the big dream is to be traditionally published. Still shopping the second book around, though I'm not exactly hopeful.

Also working on video game music for the video game I've been making for hte past four or so years now. It's maybe six months out from release if all goes well. Been fun, though sometimes it hasn't been fun. My bro said I halfassed some of the last levels I did, but I think they look solid so fuck him? He can fix them if he's gonna be a twat about it.

I also really want to make music. I've been learning how to death metal scream, so you know, baby steps. Getting okay at it.

Thats' it. For now.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Fantasma said:

Uhhh, dying in my sleep because that would be the best thing right now? Not like I haven't come close, which gives really really trippy dreams when your brain is starved of oxygen. I'm hoping by the end of the week, but I don't really have much control over it.

I mean, tbh my only achieveable goal is probably to do the dishes today or talk with close friends more than once a month?

So much for wanting to become a jagabaya in silat, living in a tiny house, furthering my now rusty skills as hypnotist extradinaire, getting in shape, finding decent employment, or programming an RTS engine / game maker in Java.

True, but unless you have some degenerative illness that's going to kill you in your sleep there always exists the chance for a better future. Have to ask, why can't you achieve any of those dreams? And what does it matter if you can't do all the things you wanted to?

We're all gonna die so the way i see it there's no real point in cutting the only life you have short. Do the shit you can and enjoy it instead of wallowing over shit that'll never happen. And if you're simply dying then...good luck mate, see you on the other side.

Hmm, I guess I've had some goals in mind for a while, but getting there is a slow process...

I think moving out of my family's house and getting my own place would be awesome. I love my family, but the lack of privacy and quiet is stifling sometimes.
Very difficult, but I hope to do that someday. And I'd want it to be a house, not an apartment or condo (which would be even harder to do, unfortunately).
A large yard with room for a shed/workshop would be the icing on the cake.

I'd also like to get a more steady job. I want to become a park ranger some day, but I'm still struggling with basic classes at college so I dunno if I'm cut out for it...
It'd be awesome to get to work at a national park, but I'd also be happy working in the local wetlands, Beautiful place, I should visit more often.
A smaller job goal of mine would be to work at Joann's or another craft store, I love those places.
But just any steady income would be better than what I have now, as much as I do like my current job.

Some smaller goals of mine:

- Buy/make a 3D printer and learn to use it
- Get good enough at sewing/sculpting/drawing to do commissions someday, or at least be able to sell premade stuff at cons/craft fairs/Etsy/whatever
- Work on making art faster (related to the above point about commissions)
- Get more practice in moldmaking/casting
- Actually finish a costume for once. I have too many ones that are still just plans, or partly done but unfinished.

- Get my current car looking nice instead of junky, needs a fresh coat of paint and some new interior fabric, as well as new sun visors.
- Work on my VW Bug that I've had for years but haven't done anything to. The poor thing is just sitting there.
- Learn to reupholster car interiors
- Learn to paint cars

Health-wise, I'd also like to lose some fat and gain some muscle, but it's a bit slow-going since I'm not totally sure what I'm doing. :I

• Work more towards my art goals. Iron out more of my artistic flaws / weaknesses.
  • Get more stuff printed. Shirts, books, cards, stuff like that.
  • Work out my comic ideas. Start the humans comic proper. Make it look decent.
  • Get a decent house in a not-shit neighborhood. Get a Jeep.
  • Get back on my exercise routine.
  • Travel. Camping, road trips, visiting people. I just want to take the fuck off and see things.

I've been meaning to practice drawing daily, so I can improve my terrible art style. Although, I've been meaning to do this for a few months now...

I've also been trying to create some new characters to work with, as I feel Jayke isn't enough.

24 minutes ago, Jayke said:

I've been meaning to practice drawing daily, so I can improve my terrible art style. Although, I've been meaning to do this for a few months now...

I've also been trying to create some new characters to work with, as I feel Jayke isn't enough.

Oh, it's You! I remember you, I like that you changed Jayke to some kinda gryphon birb thing. 

Have fun making new characters and practicing and stuff.

I found a cool tutorial thing awhile ago for birbs so here you go: http://www.sketchbook.com/blog/how-to-draw-birds-step-by-step-instructions/

• Like 1

You know, after botching my first semester with a 0.83 GPA, I'm OK with where I'm currently at (2.25; 1st and 2nd Semester). I have that free tuition scholarship coming in, so financial need should be less of a concern, I guess I should push for a 3.0 now, but the classes will be getting more difficult and I;m a bit concerned on how well I'll perform. I don't really have any supports there, so I'll certainly have to improve my solo skills over the break. It feels like I lost them either due to drugs or too much partying. The dean offered me to take one of his classes, but I forgot to register for it - maybe it'll be open next fall,if not, next spring.

A summer job should be inbound, all I have to do is choose. I've already done some office work and it was a mixed bag: some days it was ok, other days it was tedious and repetitive (I mean, some days I had to make condom packets for 6 hours straight - very boring stuff). Doing menial jobs is a pain in the ass. Any suggestions on a job type?

• Like 4

My main goal right now is community outreach now that I have  foot in the door to do so through work.

For the moment, I am planning on offering classes to those interested in modeling and fabrication for people interested in 3D printing on a general level. 

I'm trying to devote this summer to losing a bit of weight now that I have the time to do it and it's at least better than sitting around at home doing nothing. So far in the two weeks I've been going to the gym I've lost 10lbs so that's good. This is partially because I need to not look like a gross whale and also not develop diabetes, but also because I'm hoping to start T before I leave for Austria and sometimes (depending on the doctor, etc.) they'll recommend you lose weight before starting

Even if I don't do that, I still need something to manage my PCOS because apparently leaving it untreated for several years is bad

• Like 1

Ooo, what a refreshing question ^_^..Hmmm lets see:

-Visit some distant Besties sometime soon :3

-Get a sweet tiny house for traveling and living

-Find a job that works independent of location for moar travels

-Graduate with a bachelors in Information Tech

-Meditate and have more calm walks

-Maybe meet someone special ?....not really hyped up on the idea of romance that much honestly....more than likely a platonic relationship would be super cool...we'll see ;)

-Mmmm.....be even more empathetic/sensitive as a person....and a better listener would be sweet to

• Like 1