Internet Nostalgia

Sidewalk Surfboard

Shitty old sprite-based flash cartoons on newgrounds man, that was my shit. To this day waiting like 2 hours for one of those Mario vs. Sonic flash things to load on my shit dial-up connection is one of my most cherished memories.

VG Directors Cuts was where the best shit was at though. Like for real, The Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom series legit holds up and literally made children cry.

RIP Randy you rad motherfucker. Thank you for making my childhood that bit more tolerable.

• Like 3

Most of my nostalgia stems from old Newgrounds flashes from the early 2000s. Gosh, it was a different time on the net back then. Anyway, here's some classics:

... I could link junk like this for days

Shitty old sprite-based flash cartoons on newgrounds man, that was my shit. To this day waiting like 2 hours for one of those Mario vs. Sonic flash things to load on my shit dial-up connection is one of my most cherished memories.

VG Directors Cuts was where the best shit was at though. Like for real, The Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom series legit holds up and literally made children cry.

RIP Randy you rad motherfucker. Thank you for making my childhood that bit more tolerable.

VG Directors Cuts, FunnyJunk, Razoric and Newgrounds were my favorite sites from 2002 - 2004

I would spend entire days just going through Mario and Sonic flashes on NG, haha

Edited by Azurex
grammar and junk
  • Like 1

VG Directors Cuts, FunnyJunk, Razoric and Newgrounds were my favorite sites from 2002 - 2004. I would spend entire days just going through Mario and Sonic flashes on NG, haha

Funnyjunk is still around and kicking pretty strong. I was a moderator on there during the summer.

Edited by Sidewalk Surfboard

VG Directors Cuts, FunnyJunk, Razoric and Newgrounds were my favorite sites from 2002 - 2004

I would spend entire days just going through Mario and Sonic flashes on NG, haha

Oh jesus Razoric, that was seriously some of the edgiest shit god damn. The world of early 2000's flash cartoons really was something truly awful in retrospect.

• Like 2

The Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom! I loved that series. It's one of the few things I remember from the internet back then.

Then there's Link's Quest For Ass, still waiting for part 3. 11yo me really enjoyed watching crap on Newgrounds.

• Like 1

The internet was an amusing place when shock images/sites were becoming big and most people didn't check URLs before clicking through. The utter lack of protection against malicious scripts made things even worse. Goatse still lives on as a graphical meme.

Okay, just two more. I swear I won't hog up all the classics <_<

imsorryicanthelpmyself

Oh jesus Razoric, that was seriously some of the edgiest shit god damn. The world of early 2000's flash cartoons really was something truly awful in retrospect.

I could only go to Razoric during the day because it used to freak me out so much. I was a pretty timid kid, lol

I think I found it through that one really well made Sonic vs. Mario flash, which left me disturbed for a week as a kid, because it showed a pretty graphic depiction of Sonic dying

I could only go to Razoric during the day because it used to freak me out so much. I was a pretty timid kid, lol

I think I found it through that one really well made Sonic vs. Mario flash, which left me disturbed for a week as a kid, because it showed a pretty graphic depiction of Sonic dying

Oh jesus I remember that one, the one which had the "secret" ending which was just Knuckles fucking Peach for some reason. Watching that shit all stealth in 4th grade with an old friend was fucking great, mostly since we thought "Big Fucking Nuke" was the funniest shit.

There was also another thing I remember loving I can't find, it was just like some stupid sprite flash that was just Tails and Luigi singing 'Numb' from Linkin Park. The teen angst man, shit was real.

Started my adventure in 2000 and constantly went to some Pokemon chatrooms and Steve's DBZ Chat, which was an old BeSeen chatroom which died in 2002. Also does anyone remember Joe Cartoon? Spent a lot of time on Newgrounds, then later went to a Sonic forum.
I spent a lot of time in Highschool IT class browsing eBaum's. Then that whole thing with YTMND happened, which was glorious.
Then I moved on to Second Life and 4chan stuff...

I think 2007 was my favorite year. 4chan was raiding everything, there was a huge wave of Youtube Poops popping up, Tay Zonday (Chocolate Rain) came about, Rick Roll was relevant, The Orange Box was released... Ah man, it was great.

• Like 1

A few of the Metal Gear Solid animations on Newgrounds give me quite a bit of nostalgia, especially Metal Gear Awesome. Reminds me of when I was back in middle school, and my best friend showed it to me. I thought it was hilarious, even though I hadn't played the game yet. It only got better once I actually played the game, of course.

I think that friend was pretty much the one who introduced me to MGS in the first place.

• Like 1

I was one of those retards who loved making Sonic recolors with MSPaint and feeling like a genius. I'm not exactly proud of that era.

I am, however, nostalgic about YTMND and many of it's memes, or other memes at the time.

LEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOOOOY JENKIIIIIIIIIIINS

fuck yeah

I also remember when Goatse was shocking. NOT ANYMORE. D:

Edited by Kellie Gator

I mentioned it over on a different thread, but Day of the Barney is quintessential Internet nostalgia from 1996, which is a year that is seriously underrepresented here.

And in 2000, CampChaos gave us "Napster Bad" just as Metallica went full retard against file sharing giant.

Edited by Ginpanther
added the classic Napster Bad video

This reminds me, a few years ago I found an old Gateway CRT monitor by the trash in perfect condition.  I took it home and tested it out, it worked great.  I decided to play a bunch of old DOS games in all their scanlined glory to celebrate.

I then had the weird idea to install Windows 98 on a virtual machine, got on the internet and went on the Wayback Machine to browse the internet and a bunch of websites and forums from the late 90s.  It was such a strange, surreal, nostalgic experience that I actually lost myself in it for a minute.

Edited by Chrysocyon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...