What's your job?

Hey guys. I know we're all somehow maybe part of the same niche interest, but we don't know a ton about each other.

What's your irl job? What do you do, how difficult is it? Do you like it? Does it have a career ladder or is it a resume builder? I love shit like that. 

I freelance professionally right now as a graphic designer. I focus on web design. I'm a junior in art school though, so I'm not 'full fledged' so to speak. I'm not a complete ameteur either as I've been doing this for four years, and I'm very excited to see my work in select areas in my city that I live in. Whenever I don't have a graphic design contract, I draw for furries online. It's mostly fetish focused, as I believe sexuality should be celebrated and the avenues to get to the stuff you like should be safe, sane, and consensual. Were I not a graphic designer for Ui/Ux, I'd love to work as an artist for sexual health books and comics like Oh Joy Sex Toy. 

I've spent about eight years as a shopfitter, which is essentially the furniture side of renovations if you didn't know. I've done some freelance writing and artwork on the side like plenty of art site regulars, as well as several extra qualification courses like first aid and forklift driving.

I want to learn web design next, just to give me options down the line.

I was a full time graphic designer working for a non profit,then a merchandiser, now I do freelance work, which is a hit and miss at times. I'm ether swamped with work or have absolutely nothing to do.

Ayy, you got a behance I can peep? PM me yo. I'm also on dribbble too. 

I work at Subway. It's more of a job to help fund my desire to become a professional fursuit maker. It's nice though.

When you take orders from customers, do you actually listen?

Because I have to repeat myself loudly, each time, to PUT THE PICKLES ON THE TUNA.

It peeves me, somewhat.

Edited by Summercat

Quotes are being silly.

@Mikazuki Marazhu- The sandwhich one. Otherwise I would have said "at a subway" or something. :P

@Summercat- Yeah. Sometimes I get really odd/specific requests but do my best to make them perfectly. Sometimes people just want a million bell peppers and while I think that they are better off just buying a bell pepper (cause those monsters are stroooong) but I do it anyways. Even though it is gross.

I work as a home health care nurse aide. I like the job, generally speaking. I work nights and lately have been getting a ton of hours which has allowed me to finally get out on my own. Working nights, even though 12 hour shifts normally, is really easy money most of the time, at least for me since my natural body clock has an easy time staying up at night until early morning. Cleaning up after old people isn't so fun, but they're normally really nice and I like talking to them. There have been a few not so nice encounters... but it's not their fault, it's Dementia or Alzheimer's being a jerk and they just don't comprehend reality because of it. Still, I struggle in those moments sometimes to not get very anxious and nervous.

This job is just a stepping stone for some (a CNA is required now to become a nurse, at least here in Michigan), but I don't really want to be a nurse unless my current company offered to pay for my schooling and keep me when I was done. I hate hospitals and nursing homes, so I would only become a nurse if guaranteed that I could stay in home health care.

Quotes are being silly.

@Mikazuki Marazhu- The sandwhich one. Otherwise I would have said "at a subway" or something. :P

@Summercat- Yeah. Sometimes I get really odd/specific requests but do my best to make them perfectly. Sometimes people just want a million bell peppers and while I think that they are better off just buying a bell pepper (cause those monsters are stroooong) but I do it anyways. Even though it is gross.

@misomie 

Wow putting @ notifies us.

What's your irl job? What do you do, how difficult is it? Do you like it? Does it have a career ladder or is it a resume builder? I love shit like that. 

1. Graphics designer and event entertainer, working at major music festivals and cultural events

2. My main job is working for Philip Morris International on promotion events, in so called "Marlboro zones". We invite clients and then provide them with all kinds of services: barbers, henna tattoos, free drinks, customized memoirs, customized t-shirts, photo sessions and other attractions like oculus rift simulations or aerodynamic tunnels with flying suits and free cigars. It's the only legal way of advertising cigarretes here.

My job there is to post-process photographies of the people or prepare/make totally new (simple) thematic images and/or patterns. And then printing them on the t-shirts. Maximally I have 8 minutes for one t-shirt, including both processing/drawing and printing. So it isn't anything complicated as it simply can't be. Examples of some random shit that got on the t-shirts this year:

sZORAou.jpgBmFfGof.jpg

WM3CTSk.jpg

Secondary job is freelancing, without any main focus. Web graphics, posters, leaflets, logos, illustrations, photographic backgrounds, collages, etc cetera, both raster-based and vector-based. Furry art and smut involved.

Also, occasional engraving in glass for Dior.

The question about difficulty is out of place. If you know how to do something, it's easy, if not, it's hard.

3. Yes, I like it.

4. I have no idea. I have been offered work in different corporations/companies, but it's always the same position with similar payment.

If I weren't working as a graphics designer, I'd follow my education path, getting my PhD (in history) by now.

Edited by Ayattar
Penis
  • Like 1

- Can't edit original post anymore, hence double posting -

Apart from that I still, from time to time, participate in various scientific projects, focusing on our eastern neighbours, Russia, Ukraine and Belarus, led by my former tutor and University. Which means some extra income for participating as well as some travelling to various, often unusual places, like Baykal Lake (two years ago) or Moscow (last year).

In theory, I'd like to go back on the University and continue my studies one day, but the longer I work as a graphics designer, the more it drifts away. Honestly, I can't kinda imagine earning 2 to 3 times less than now and living for it. And that's the difference and gap between beggining adjunct on the University and me at the very moment. Giving exact numbers is unhelpful, since the conversion is different (lower income than in US and western EU but also lower prices, ratio between them being almost the same).

Edited by Ayattar

Currently: Handyman and Custodian of a Neighborhood, its parks, pool and buildings.

While doing that I am seeking employment as a chemist.

I started by working undergraduate work studies at a local university, then moved on to a company which makes oilfield specialty chemicals (Chemical to solve problems encountered in petroleum extraction and purification) I was a research chemist there for about 6 years, then worked for a major oil drilling company formulating and evaluating drilling fluid (drilling mud), Completion fluid, Heavy brine fluids and packer fluids. Overall, I have over 10 years hands-on laboratory experience.

I have also been evaluating the merit of returning to university to get a Ph. D. in Chemistry. I think it will certainly increase my chances of better employment.

Edited by Skylar Husky
  • Like 1

I'm an Assistant Manager at a place that sells jewelry for body piercings. It's Retail and yet it's not, the nature of the product puts it in a place where you have to ask a lot of questions and figure out specific needs...and sometimes see things or hear about things you would rather not. Nevertheless body piercing tends to attract all kinds though thankfully a mostly counterculture crowd so the ratio of complete morons is substantially less. Now if we could just get rid of the Oh-So-Bohemian Hipsters and the soccer moms with their daughters we'd be good to go. Though truth be told the former tends to give me more trouble than the latter, given their pretentious pseudo-intellectualism compels them to think they know better than I do.

Ask me your piercing questions, I'm not a Piercer but I know a fair bit from working the outside edges of it for years now.

I'm a Product Safety Engineer (Regulatory Compliance Engineer if ye wanna get technical) for an Electronics company. What I do is basically get all the safety agency approvals (like UL, CSA, TUV, CE, and all those other logos and markings) for stuff yer yer chargers and shit. It's been an okay job so far. Been working a lot on upgrading our product's medical standards these past few months. And trying to learn this new IEC62368 Standard.

And yeah, I'm looking for career opportunities for migration and such so if any of y'all know some, please let me know. xD

Edited by yell0wf0x

I'm a Systems Engineer in the Digital (read: Non-Linear) Technology Operations group at the Turner Broadcasting System, based out of CNN Center. Yes, that TBS. If you've ever visited cnn.com or cartoonnetwork.com or any of the other Turner brands' sites, you've hit code I've written. If any of that goes down, it's my problem.

For the most part, the job's pretty great. The corporate environment is amazingly liberal in that the benefits we get are pretty awesome. After three years, I now have five weeks of PTO allotted to me in addition to one week of what's called Volunteer Time Off, where I can continue working for my same salary for a week while helping out in the community. The biggest downside is that it is a large corporation, so the politics and back scratching do take on a pretty large role in the day-to-day. I find that, if I want to get something done, I just have to knuckle down and fucking do it myself.

The career progression is there, but promotions are exceedingly hard to come by now that the finance department is clamping down on salaries. That said, prospects elsewhere are plentiful and with similar perquisite benefits to boot, so I'm not crying about it.

• Like 1

I'm on the downside of my career, and heading to early/semi retirement.  I work because I want too, not because I have too.

At one time, I was a senior executive in the Canadian telecom sector.  The teams I led were responsible for much of the internet, satTV and mobile networks for Canada's largest telco company.  But 5 years ago I quit to start my own IT consulting company.  These days, I'm the IT Director for a small EDI company that handles document processing (x12) for several Fortune500 companies in Canada and the US.  

I love working for this small company.  There's beer in the fridge and usually a nerf-gun fight around 3:00pm every day when the code is compiling.

• Like 1

professional slacker

i do all sorts of shit, my permanent job (which is still contract based) is quality assurance for multiple AAA clients, a couple would include ubisoft and capcom, but i can't really say much else other than that, legal reasons and whatnot

otherwise i do retail work when some shops need temporary employees, i do that to fund my travel to class and so i can buy shit i don't really need

i study most of the time so i don't get a lot of time to do proper work anymore

Edited by Aidy

I work for a car rental for ca$h place

I handle writing out contracts and sending people off with cars, cleaning and preparing the returned cars, and all sorts of other stuff. I also bring them to and from the mechanic's place when they need stuff done. 

Often I'll be tasked with going up to the nearby auctions to secure new whips my boss bought. I'll bring those back, and, if they're not total PIECES, register and have them safety checked!

I do a lot of driving, which is dope, because I love driving

Edited by hectichusky

I love my current job, just got back from it now.

Im a Kennel Technician at a Veterinary clinic, that means I care for, feed, clean, and medicate. Its exciting and there's always new and interesting dogs and cats that come in and also the regulars that I know by name.

its currently a steping stone to hopefully becoming a veterinary technician, but if not Im happy that I even got here, as Ive been wanting to be a kennel technician at a veterinary clinic since I was 16. Dream job towards a dream career. Yeah.

I work in bookkeeping for a major retailer. I have been known to toss enough cash to buy a cheap new car across the room because too lazy to get up and walk it over. It's funny being desensitized to large sums of cash. I have half a mind to take up juggling :3

As a hobby I do programming, and am currently slowly working on a game in addition to maintaining and adding features to my friend's webcomic site.

Digital media librarian.  I run a little area with 3D printers and mac computers now. Less pleb to deal with,  but I do not have to worry about getting  stabbed or seeing aborted fetuses in the toilet art my new branch.

Why.. why would you find aborted fetuses in a library??

I work part time at a local dog friendly cafe cooking traditional fried foods for people and their doggies. When not working I sit about drinking tea and petting the dogs. No promotion prospects as there is only 3 of us there but hey you take what you can.

That sounds super amazing. Are you happy? Do you think you want to go up to owning this place, or do you have a career path?

That sounds super amazing. Are you happy? Do you think you want to go up to owning this place, or do you have a career path?

Well as it stands I'm living with my mother, however the house is for sale and we intend to move back to our hometown so I don't want to go out any where full time at the moment. I would eventually like to own my own Bistro or Rockers Den or both ^_^ But to answer the other question yes I am happy with it :)

I work at a small ISP as phone support tech and field tech.  I describe my job as "a very small shell script" because at least half the support issues I get could be done by one.

Why.. why would you find aborted fetuses in a library??

Oh, the horror stories she has relayed.  Mike Rowe has worked cleaner jobs.

I'm an Nth year doctoral student in the field of condensed matter theory, in particular unconventional superconductivity. Hopefully within the next year I'll be able to actually finish however many nearly complete projects I have active and actually graduate.

• Like 3

I've spent about eight years as a shopfitter, which is essentially the furniture side of renovations if you didn't know. I've done some freelance writing and artwork on the side like plenty of art site regulars, as well as several extra qualification courses like first aid and forklift driving.

I want to learn web design next, just to give me options down the line.

I read this as "I've spent about eight years as a shoplifter."

Not at all sorry.

• Like 1

Pffff...right now I work as an associate in the produce dept of a grocery store. 

Before that, I was in productions at a thrift store for less than a month. I quit because that place was a giant, festering OSHA violation and did jack shit to fix any of it. I remember slicing my hand open one day, and they didn't have any band aids to cover the wound. I got sick there and got more injuries there in less than a month than in the combined 6yrs of retail work I did before that. There was one day at that job I was in a lumbar brace and a wrist brace. Ridiculous. 

And before that, I worked at a store as a softlines associate, a price accuracy team member, and general go to in the store for 2.5yrs. I miss my coworkers there dearly, because they became family. I moved to a new state, so I had to leave them behind..

And in the long long ago, in the before time of 2006, when I was just a lass in high school, I became a florist and did that for the next 4yrs. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

I only work now so I can support my ratties and help out with bills...though I probably shouldn't be out working at all. I struggle immensely with several psychiatric disorders, so every day is a battle for me... working with the public only fuels issues going on with me. The thrift store job I had before this produce one, the first week of that job I nearly committed suicide >_>

I'm kind of a broken little thing, in all honestly.

I'm an Nth year doctoral student in the field of condensed matter theory, in particular unconventional superconductivity. Hopefully within the next year I'll be able to actually finish however many nearly complete projects I have active and actually graduate.

You have a big, smart brain, and I automatically like you for your supreme knowing of things scientific that I don't know much about o3o

I'm a courier. I deliver what needs to be delivered to whomever it needs to be delivered. 

Quite simple really. Not hard at all. I do enjoy it immensely though; lots of traveling and adventure as well as sights to see while on the job. It takes me to places I wouldn't have thought to go to. Given the type of work, no, it does not have a career ladder nor is it a resume builder. Well...it does give you an opportunity to be promoted into the office staff that works dispatch and tech services but I don't have the skills necessary to be moved into that type of position yet.

But if my lifestyle allowed it I'd probably be a NEET; like Kooky.

Edited by Vaer

I'm a surgical technician. I set up/take down the operating room and assist the surgeon during surgery. Pretty much I'm the guy that has to anticipate the doctors next move and have the right tool ready to give him before he needs it. I'm also working part time at a mental hospital to get my psychtech license and bridge over to nursing. When doing that I mostly pass meds, chart behaviors, and chastise serial killers to stop putting broken glass in their dicks. Its pretty chill.

I'm a commercial pilot in Alaska for a small local airline. I fly locals year round between the main hub of Juneau and the surrounding communities for things like going to the hospital, shopping trips in "the city", catching a connecting flight on a jet outbound, and so on. We also fly TONS of tourists in the summer to Glacier Bay and fishermen staying at local lodges in the fall. It's a great job, there's always something different to keep it interesting and we get to do some pretty cool flying as well to some fun off-airport remote destinations. I also train new hire pilots and bring them up to speed with the operation. 

Can't think of anything else I'd rather do...

• Like 1

I'm a commercial pilot in Alaska for a small local airline. I fly locals year round between the main hub of Juneau and the surrounding communities for things like going to the hospital, shopping trips in "the city", catching a connecting flight on a jet outbound, and so on. We also fly TONS of tourists in the summer to Glacier Bay and fishermen staying at local lodges in the fall. It's a great job, there's always something different to keep it interesting and we get to do some pretty cool flying as well to some fun off-airport remote destinations. I also train new hire pilots and bring them up to speed with the operation. 

Can't think of anything else I'd rather do...

i'm jealous, i was going to train to become a pilot but i couldn't afford the £70,000 i needed for flight school and i still can't

my best way into doing that is by joining the royal air force and training that way, but i don't fancy doing military service so i'm kinda stuck until i have the money to get myself a PPL or something

flight simulators will do for now :(