how do you handle stress?

Gator

when things get bad, how do you react?  I've noticed i'm one of those people who laughs at stuff and makes jokes.  i also tend to dump my feelings on my friends and go on long rambles about it, 'cause talking to someone helps me A, not feel alone and B, sort out my thoughts out loud. 

what about y'all

On impulse, I usually go snack on something. : / 

When I actually realize I'm losing it and need to relax, I do my best by just diving into games/movies/music/shows. I take the escapism approach and try to find something real engaging. If that doesn't cut it though, I get drunk. Also I normally don't let myself vent to people. I find it hard because I feel like a drain when I do, so I deal with it myself. I can take a step back, look at it from a wider view and normally come to terms with things after enough time on my own. Sure none of this is probably healthy, but I'm not a horrible stress ridden mess so it clearly works for me.

Really though, it takes a lot to shake me for a long time.

Edited by Luca

It really depends, generally listening to sad music, playing sad music on the guitar/piano, and when I can i go into my "relax mode" which usually helps me push all of the stress off. Most of the time i keep it from getting to me in the first place by having people around who I can talk to about stressful things before it actually gets worse and that usually keeps it from getting bad

You know, now I think about it, there are a few people who I tend to bombard with lengthy messages when I'm feeling down.

I don't expect them to reply or anything, I just want to dump my thoughts somewhere. 

In most cases though, pondering the problem just makes it worse for me.

Generally I focus on what should be done to rectify said stress and punish myself (mentally, sorry guys) for not doing said rectifications until I actually do them.  If I don't know how to solve them I then focus on the fact I should be researching how to fix the issues.  I know it's possible for practically any situation and if it's not it's not my fault, what is my fault is not pulling my finger out and doing something.

I've come to a point where I manage to just absorb it. I just do nothing, and with nothing I mean playing games and shit. When I'm stressed I prefer being alone. Negative feelings and friends don't mix up: burned a bridge or two talking to some acquaintances of mine while I wasn't thinking straight

I don't know. It all disappears somewhere inside. The mind goes elsewhere and leaves a numbness in its wake.

Escapism certainly brings plenty of strength for eating it all again, though. The comfort of my spouse's arms too.

It seems better to have learned how to continually bolster the self through something.

But...it all has to be going somewhere, and staying somewhere. As always, a song that appeals powerfully to me:

• Like 1

I don't. For me, stress is like placing my hand down in a blind-bag with scorpions and a few new, undiscovered diseases. You never know what you're going to get, but I guarantee you it won't be pleasant.

That said, I think I maintain my sanity pretty well even in those cases. Knowing your limits and accepting that you cannot push yourself to do the impossible helps.

I shut down or freak out, depending on the situation.

If it's a specific person stressing me out, I shut them out completely. One of the doctors at the clinic I work at is a complete fucking cunt to me for no godamned reason (I'll actually be talking to the other doctor tomorrow about it because today it caused the direct neglect and harm of a patient), and when she's rude or hostile to me, I pretend she doesn't exist. I stop helping her, don't reply to her, don't interact with her whatsoever. If she needs help, she can get it from someone else. I skipped out on our clinic Christmas party this weekend because she would be there and I wasn't willingly subjecting myself to her presence (especially since I ended up making $200 on Sunday so uh, yeah), AND revelead myself to my secret santa because she was the mediator and I wasn't showing up to the present exchange at the party and wasn't about to talk to her about it. Luckily my secret santa knows about all of the issues (and backs me 100%) and wasn't at the party either due to her own issues.

COLD SHOULDER I GUESS LOL

If it's a situation, I procrastinate dealing with it until it comes to a head and I HAVE to deal with it. I guess I figure that way I spend as little time dealing with it as possible. SHRUG. Like my electric bill. I figured it'd be due a month after I had it turned on, so I waited until the day AFTER a month I had moved in to call and get it figured out... oops. I forgot. Luckily it's not actually due til the 24th thank goodness. e_e

Detach from myself, my feelings, and others. I don't get sad, I get mad! (Except when I do get sad.) I buckle down, and cue up the music! This isn't a struggle, it's war!

.post-64755-Cave-Johnson-lemons-gif-Imgur

Results have been mixed; I'm on blood pressure medication now

Edited by DrGravitas
Centered

When I get stressed I become lazier and more depressed. The more stress that's put on me the more I feel like killing myself.

In order to combat stress, I either lie down in bed, pace, or play video games. On a rare occasion, I'll try to get work done, and it is during those times that I truly feel better about myself. Work does really well to get my mind off things and make me feel better, but its so hard to bring myself to do and stay focused when under a lot of stress.

• 1 month later...

I've got a bad habit of bottling stress.

But when I actually do something about it, ANYTHING productive helps more than any other activity. Especially if it's something fulfilling, like washing the car or building something. Cleaning your room probably makes the biggest difference.