Does your fursona represent you as is or an idealized you?

Vallium

Irreverent the Ancient Otter is as much me as I am him.  My totem is a river otter, my zodiac sign (for those that believe in such) is Cancer.  Pretty much water sign all around.  In that sense, "Irreverent" (or the being of same) is not so much a fursona, as it is a state of mind.  I'm perpetually irreverent, quirky, fun loving and gregarious.   The hipster, gay, hairy male "otter" stereotype presents the odd awkward moment from time to time on line and in RP; but I find it more amusing than annoying.  Both Irreverent and I are pretty homo-flexible, completely open minded and rather tolerant.

All of them are an idealized (or superego) version of me. Each have different traits reflected in different ways though.

So there's a common thread or physical attribute that links all of your fursona's back to you?  Or do they link to each other?

I've toyed with alt fursonas (pterodactyl,  bronze western winged dragon, polar/sea bear) but they all seem like thin Roleplay/mary sue versions of my main Irreverent.  Other than being amphibious or loving flight, they don't seem to connect with the inner state of mind that is irreverence personified.

i know a lot of people give their fursona things like the same hair, same build.

but I guess some people (like me) change it to represent how they'd want to see themselves.

originally I had my fursona as I am, but I often made changes in his appearance so I can strive to become an idealized sense of self rather than what I am now.

maybe weird, but hey, anyone else get this?

It's me as a whole, just an anthro

I don't really believe in the furry thing. Like I don't think I'd be better off as antrho, and making an anthro me feels weird. Because human me is me. But, I do like fun characters, so a little avatar I made is a fat jackelope. 

She got rescued as a tiny bun and now spends her days lounging on a pillow in a sunbeam. 

So there's a common thread or physical attribute that links all of your fursona's back to you?  Or do they link to each other?

I've toyed with alt fursonas (pterodactyl,  bronze western winged dragon, polar/sea bear) but they all seem like thin Roleplay/mary sue versions of my main Irreverent.  Other than being amphibious or loving flight, they don't seem to connect with the inner state of mind that is irreverence personified.

Your question is easier asked than answered. I guess in a short answer, they are a little bit of both but I give a bit more detail if you want.

They link back to me but each one is a different facet of my personality.

It is similar in the way you make friends. Each of your friends has a common ground or several common things about them as a person that make them similar to you. I have friends that are intellectual, some that are artists, some that like to cosplay (Renaissance style,) some that are foodies. Each one of my fursonae are like this as well.

My wolf fursona is a wolf version of me, strong, a little rough around the edges, fun loving, Jack Daniel's whiskey drinking, heavy-metal blasting, Pickup truck enthusiast and pretty much a Texas red-neck like I was raised. He is a more physical being and ready to use his brawn rather than his brain to get out of a situation. Definitely a shoot now and ask questions later kind of guy. Goes with the gut, makes the decision and lives with it, good or bad, without grousing about it later.

My husky fursona is a bit more of the softer parts of my personality. Fun loving but a bit more of a subdued personality. He is not one to do many hi-jinks but is the first to laugh when he sees it. If he and the wolf fursona above were in the same room, he might avoid the wolf. He is an intellectual and will try to out-think his opponent or think his way out of a problem, rather than use his fists. The husky is the gourmet, he likes fine foods and decadent desserts.

My sugar glider fursona is a trickster, prankster and is silly. He also likes to be a little bit of a party animal. He is also a softer hearted type and likes a good snuggle as well. He is more of an artist than the others. 

My giant panda fursona is a warrior. He will take anyone to task who steps on him and is not afraid to speak his mind about it. He is for the most part a fun lover, and is only a warrior when times call for it. He is also a fan of ritual, routine, pomp and circumstance. He is a good blend of brains and brawn to get out of his problems and knows when it is time for fisticuffs, it is time to roll. In many ways there are reflections of both the wolf and the giant panda in one another and I think each would probably get along, if not understand the other really well.  

My American beaver fursona is very intellectual. He is the scientist and the analytical mind a bit more. There is overlap with this in the panda as well, but the beaver has it in greater quantities. If faced with a fright, the beaver runs, and this is where the similarity with the giant panda ends. The beaver has more nerd-like qualities to him than any of my other fursonae.

All of my characters are proud Texans, pretty much conformists in society, all are Catholics, all are former altar boys, all are Eagle Scouts, all are straight, all hold out hope to meet a wonderful female furry and have a litter of 'somethings' with her and all have a strong sense of morality. All appreciate art and like ceramics, jewelry making, metal smithing, stone cutting and polishing, photography and drawing. All like to homebrew beer, wine and meade and all like to hang out with family on occasion and all have family like the Robertsons from Duck Dynasty, like I do. - And all these things are what is true about me as a person. 

Edited by Skylar Husky

If I had a fursona it would probably be some kind of dog. Or a gryphon.

Actually I used to have one. Then I got annoyed by people talking to me as if I literally was him. Plus I grew up, changed a lot and that fursona didn't represent me anymore. I never bothered making a new one. I just don't care for that kind of thing anymore.

Edited by dischimera

Callisto is... A mixture of both.

Physically, I guess she is quite spot-on. She's not perfect, I draw her with saggy boobs and all other things I dislike about my appearance, in an attempt to feel better about these things. When you have people affirming how attractive your fursona is, even with these features, it definitely makes you feel better about having them IRL. I guess it's like posting nudes of yourself, without having to post nudes of yourself.

I like to imagine that her personality is what I WISH I had. Lovely, outgoing, chatty, bubbly, someone everyone wants to be around. That's who I wish I could be. I guess that's just me being able to dream.

Your question is easier asked than answered. I guess in a short answer, they are a little bit of both but I give a bit more detail if you want.

They link back to me but each one is a different facet of my personality.

It is similar in the way you make friends. Each of your friends has a common ground or several common things about them as a person that make them similar to you. I have friends that are intellectual, some that are artists, some that like to cosplay (Renaissance style,) some that are foodies. Each one of my fursonae are like this as well.

My wolf fursona is a wolf version of me, strong, a little rough around the edges, fun loving, Jack Daniel's whiskey drinking, heavy-metal blasting, Pickup truck enthusiast and pretty much a Texas red-neck like I was raised. He is a more physical being and ready to use his brawn rather than his brain to get out of a situation. Definitely a shoot now and ask questions later kind of guy. Goes with the gut, makes the decision and lives with it, good or bad, without grousing about it later.

My husky fursona is a bit more of the softer parts of my personality. Fun loving but a bit more of a subdued personality. He is not one to do many hi-jinks but is the first to laugh when he sees it. If he and the wolf fursona above were in the same room, he might avoid the wolf. He is an intellectual and will try to out-think his opponent or think his way out of a problem, rather than use his fists. The husky is the gourmet, he likes fine foods and decadent desserts.

My sugar glider fursona is a trickster, prankster and is silly. He also likes to be a little bit of a party animal. He is also a softer hearted type and likes a good snuggle as well. He is more of an artist than the others. 

My giant panda fursona is a warrior. He will take anyone to task who steps on him and is not afraid to speak his mind about it. He is for the most part a fun lover, and is only a warrior when times call for it. He is also a fan of ritual, routine, pomp and circumstance. He is a good blend of brains and brawn to get out of his problems and knows when it is time for fisticuffs, it is time to roll. In many ways there are reflections of both the wolf and the giant panda in one another and I think each would probably get along, if not understand the other really well.  

My American beaver fursona is very intellectual. He is the scientist and the analytical mind a bit more. There is overlap with this in the panda as well, but the beaver has it in greater quantities. If faced with a fright, the beaver runs, and this is where the similarity with the giant panda ends. The beaver has more nerd-like qualities to him than any of my other fursonae.

All of my characters are proud Texans, pretty much conformists in society, all are Catholics, all are former altar boys, all are Eagle Scouts, all are straight, all hold out hope to meet a wonderful female furry and have a litter of 'somethings' with her and all have a strong sense of morality. All appreciate art and like ceramics, jewelry making, metal smithing, stone cutting and polishing, photography and drawing. All like to homebrew beer, wine and meade and all like to hang out with family on occasion and all have family like the Robertsons from Duck Dynasty, like I do. - And all these things are what is true about me as a person. 

That's an interesting take on fursonas.  I had considered the physical attributes would be different, but hadn't considered that a fursona could be a different personality.  Thanks for sharing that.

Physically, Fenrir has always been close to me. The more average build with leaner arms then legs. He's a little idealised because he's skinnier than me and his hair and eyes are cooler, but those are just somethings I want to work more towards irl.

Personality-wise, when I made Fenrir all those years ago, he was an idealised version of me, and how I really thought in my head at the time. A sarcastic bitch with a heart of gold, who was real distant and snappy at others. As I grew up, I grew away from that distant personality because I was no longer the distant, snarky guy. Fenrir today is almost exactly like me, flaws and imperfections and all.

Eh, Glowstick is more or less me.  The only real difference between my 'sona and I is she doesn't have boobs, while I do.  It's more or less because I don't like drawing her with them, given that she's a fish.  Other than that, she is me, in all my nerdy glory.

I always tell people that my fursona is pretty much a caricature of myself, so I guess it's a little of both really. If anything, he's an honest representation of my personality, and a slightly idealized version of my physical self. You can only be so accurate when having yourself drawn as a fluffy dog dude. I've actually been told more than once that he resembles me though :3  

I created Mei to be a reresentation of myself, personality and flaws included, and fit in physical attributes where i could. Little has been changed. I love my green eyes irl so i made sure to include that with her ^u^

I don't think I've ever created a character that was meant, intentionally, to represent any part of myself. Not in my adulthood, anyway. Pre-17 me made plenty of super-idealised 'basically me but more godlike' characters, I'm sure.

Post-17 me has certainly created characters that present many traits, ideals, and aspirations that I suppose I would wish to see within myself, but rarely ever by design.

I find it far more interesting to create characters as varied and different, and as far removed from myself as possible. More often than not this necessitates a lot of research on my part to make sure that these characters aren't beacons of my own ignorance, and I suppose the importance of learning new things, often even things I've had poor impressions of in the past, in order to more accurately portray these characters is part of the reason I enjoy making them as I do.

We are basically the same on an emotional level, if he was different that way then I guess he wouldn't be a good representative of who i am during RP's. As for physically, he more or less embodies they traits I desire. He's tall, fairly well built, and has the ability to come off as either very  intimidating or super friendly, where i am average height, over weight, and come off as a douche bag without even needing to speak.

Kinda both. He's a lanky bispecled dork much like me, but a little less inhibited, emotionally. I tried to make him at least sorta close to myself, though. I just feel like I connect with him more that way. I didn't give him any kind of idealized physique because I just like the normal, everyday look. It's more approachable, and doesn't give me unrealistic expectations.

Species-wise I like the cuteness and mischievousness of rats, and I kinda want more of that reflected in myself. I'd rather be likeable than bold. Have people come to me instead of me to them. Plus, I like the idea of a small creature overcoming a big scary world. It's like an allegory for my life, but y'know, furrier.

My fursona is definitely aspirational (in some respects, at least), but I've managed to integrate some aspects of my fursona's character into my own over time. I have learned to be more outgoing socially, though I am still not an explorer of the outdoor world as they are.

Furry research shows that if your character is too different to you, it will make you unhappy, so it's important to be realistic. :-)

Edited by GreenReaper

Sure, here you go:

Having a fursona that expresses who you currently are is generally indicative of good, healthy self-esteem. Having a fursona that represents an idealized version of who you are doesn’t NECESSARILY mean a person has reduced self-esteem… but if they also say that their idealized fursona isn’t anything like who they currently are, then there may be a problem, because this could indicate dissatisfaction with the self.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

He's just someone I like RPing as.

I think on some level, what I've done with his character loosely represents some aspects of myself.
Otherwise, I wouldn't feel so comfortable writing for him.
But that's a given.

• 2 weeks later...

beside species, gender and nationality, Dalzell does and thinks like me. 

Laird Overshear does and think like Steampunk me

Currently, I'm on my way of BECOMING my steamsona. I fill my life with steampunk in every way possible. even in appearal I have started to try and make myself more...Steampunk.
I was born, born in the wrong time

Yours,
Elodie Medora Gearington / Dalzell Caledon Overshear

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...