What is the corrext pronunciation?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Well, which is it?

• GIF
    • JIF
    • I dont give a fuck which
    • I dont know
    • Checkbox/Im gay

I'd vote Gif 'cause of Graphic, the first word in gif.

The second reason would be that in our language it's a soft J, which leads to saying yif in some occasions. To be honest I leave a soft giggle every time I accidentally say it.. :V

• Like 3

I'm along the school of 'Jif'. Even if it's an acronym, we treat it as a word on its own. When I learned grammar and language I was taught that, as a general rule, when a g is followed by an e, i, or y, it is a soft g.

• Gin
  • Giant
  • Giraffe
  • Ginger
  • General
  • Gentle
  • Gym

And then there is this:

1 hour ago, Battlechili said:

I'm also inclined to listen to its creator.

So I'll stick to my Grammar Nazi ways and pronounce it properly. But those of you that pronounce it wrong can continue to pronounce it wrong all you like.

Forgot my        :v

Seriously though, it doesn't matter how anyone pronounces it. Regardless, we all know what it is.

• Like 4

Gif rhymes with a peanut butter brand, and that's the way I've heard it pronounced since Internet-less BBSes were a thing.  (Also, I screwed up my vote.)

The fact that it's an acronym and how the individual words comprising it are pronounced don't matter.  It's still pronounced as a word in its own right, and like tomato and potato some people pronounce it differently.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Vaer said:

When I learned grammar and language I was taught that, as a general rule, when a g is followed by an e, i, or y, it is a soft g.

• Gin
  • Giant
  • Giraffe
  • Ginger
  • General
  • Gentle
  • Gym

There are exceptions, though. Such as get, gift, girl, give, gynaecology, .gif, Gertrude, geese, and so on.

14 minutes ago, Jtrekkie said:

There are exceptions, though. Such as get, gift, girl, give, gynaecology, .gif*, Gertrude, geese, and so on.

*An exception that is allowed for people living in denial of the truth.

• Like 3

G I F.

I agree with the others who say it's a peanut butter.

If you request a JIF format from me, you'll get a paper or USB smeared in peanutbutter.

I  don't care if the guy who made it calls it JIF. You get a lot of leeway when you make it, but that's just dumb.

Yes, I do have strong opinions on this.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vaer said:

I'm along the school of 'Jif'. Even if it's an acronym, we treat it as a word on its own. When I learned grammar and language I was taught that, as a general rule, when a g is followed by an e, i, or y, it is a soft g.

• Gin
  • Giant
  • Giraffe
  • Ginger
  • General
  • Gentle
  • Gym

And then there is this:

I'm also inclined to listen to its creator.

So I'll stick to my Grammar Nazi ways and pronounce it properly. But those of you that pronounce it wrong can continue to pronounce it wrong all you like.

Forgot my        :v

Seriously though, it doesn't matter how anyone pronounces it. Regardless, we all know what it is.

Thank you! So im not the only one whos mind took to grammatical practice when pronouncing words instead of the layman pleb using a hard G :V

8 hours ago, Jtrekkie said:

There are exceptions, though. Such as get, gift, girl, give, gynaecology, .gif, Gertrude, geese, and so on.

*narrows eyes*

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

So he's wrong then.

It's not Jraphics.

.gif is an abbreviation that is its own reference word separately from its elongated meaning as a way to describe image type.

...and it is Jraphics when you're uploading Jraphic park!

• Like 1

You know I can see why people get flamey in actual serious debate topics

In reality I dont care how its used but in practice my allegiance to the side of jif is strong, so the amount of people voting otherwise is disturbing to my .gif complex

But still .jif is correct because words pronunciation is most often correct because of its set standard in creation, English varies in pronunciation with many words so regardless of how people see it the creators way is law.

Checkmate, giftheists

I don't care that the word starts with "graphics." And I don't care how other people wanna pronounce the word. That's all them and their own preference.
But "gif" (girl, gift, etc) sounds fucking horrible off the tongue for me.
So I'm gonna keep saying "jif."