Your Favorite Cinematic Video Game Openings

DevilishlyHandsome49

At 9 years old, this was my first Final Fantasy game. I loved all the character designs, and I especially loved this opening. There was nary a time I skipped it when I booted up the game. The opening might not measure up to some of these here, but the music is still nice.

(Enigma, seriously love that Tales of Grace opening. Makes me want to try a Tales game, as much as I hear about them)

Edited by Eggdodger

Anything from Final Fantasy IX.

That game was the pinnacle of SE's cinematics. It was the last time they made cinematics that mattered. In X all their choice for cinematics, barring the intro and Yuna's first sending, were horrible. IX's cinematics felt like they were very carefully picked to show what REALLY needed to be cinematic. Even the dullest scenes had impact and emotion.

This one still gives me the chills and always makes me wish they'd make more Final Fantasy like this rather than the modern harajuku crap they turned it into.

Edited by dischimera
  • Like 1

I was really impressed with Half-life's opening sequence the first time I played it. It took you into the bowels of this super secret underground research facility at Los Alamos and had you ride this tram down, down, down into places, over radioactive pits and through long and winding caverns and corridors. By the time I got there, felt like I was way in the bottom of a well trying to climb out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMYuZpBVBfo

Edited by Skylar Husky

I love all of the Halo series openings.The first Darksiders game also had an awesome opening, what with the Apocalypse happening and all, and the arrival of War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wv6Fj1onQU

(How the heck do you guys manage to insert the actual video into your posts, btw?)

Edited by Cyberra

• 2 weeks later...

Star Ocean: First Departure's opening always gets me pumped for some reason.

(How the heck do you guys manage to insert the actual video into your posts, btw?)

Insert it as an image. Even if it's not. Whatever works. ;p

I always liked the Wild ARMs 1 opening, I wish I could say the same for the game itself...

WA1 has one of the best openings on PS1. Even better than the remake. Classic.

• Like 1

Speaking of Wild ARMs, the third had my favorite opening, and I think it was the best game in the series.

No joke, I actually owned the soundtrack to WA3 at one point. This was back when I still had dial-up and their was no YouTube and the only way I could get my hands on game music was to import the discs. Played it in my car all the time. That, and the  SaGa Frontier 2, Grandia II, and Legend of Mana OSTs. Prolly my second favorite after the first, but that's mostly for nostalgia.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate when games have intros that are so good they outclass the game itself. Like...fuck. I wish games would just hurry up and get this impressive. :c

Magatsu was an amazing fight, but this makes the actual fight look like an NES game. I wanna do the shit they did. Little jet boots spindash on his arm. Fuck, man... ;w;

Edited by XoPachi
  • Like 2

I adore Final Fantasy XII, and its opening was one of the things that was so great about it. Its not just fun to watch either; it sets up so much with regards to the world and story of the game. Lots of little details about the importance of religion in the plot and the races of the game.

Nier's opening is pretty cool too.

Edited by Battlechili
  • Like 1

The one for the expansion is great too but ruins the last 30 minutes of A Realm Reborn so I won't post that.

It's great for a bunch of reasons. If anything, it's meant to bridge the gap between the failure that was the original FFXIV and the current game (A Realm Reborn). So your opening cutscene is an apocalyptic scene that wraps up the last game and makes narrative way for the new one.

Edited by RestlessDreamer

• 3 months later...

The intro that hit me the hardest in its two minutes and change of glory was and is most definitely the intro movie to the original Warhammer 40,000: Dawn Of War. It ended up being the first separate title sequence (legit in WMV off of FilePlanet a very long time ago) I ever intentionally went looking for and obtained. Youtube time!

Enjoy!

-2Paw.

• 1 month later...

Many things come to people's minds when people are asked about S.C.A.T. for the NES.  One of them is the unfortunate name.  The other is how this game is an unholy copy of Forgotten Worlds and Contra.  And speaking of Contra, people always mention how this sounds like a Konami game.  Not surprising, since longtime Konami composer Kyouhei Sada did the music for this game.

But this fucking intro is perhaps the best there is.  Japanese version is much more somber and depressing, but damn it if it's not 「aesthetic」.

Alright here's a few

Maybe my favourite, even if the game itself wasn't that great. My favourite bit is from 1:59 to 2:43. Goosebumps, everytime

This is the first RPG I ever played. This game will always have a special place in my heart and this cutscene introduced me to themes I have never explored in videogames before. It may not look like much to anyone else but to me it was very intriguing to me

Another game I loved for its generally dark themes and atmosphere. Also I don't give a fuck about what anyone says, Roman rocks

Hands down the most depressing opening cinematic I've seen so far

Not really the intro cinematic, but it kinda is since it introduces Ratchet's side of the story