Wearing Furry Tails

Summercat

I live in a city with about 16000 people living here. And it's a closely knit community. If I wore a tail in public, I'd be laughed at. Not that being laughed at has scared me off in the past, but eh. I don't think they work well, anyway. I prefer partials or full suits, not just... Neko elements.

I wear a silver plated fox tail buttplug out in public :V

But honestly I do have a tail I once and a while will wear youshouldn't worry about what others would think as most people are to busy worrying about paying bills working dead end jobs and taking cate of their families then your fashion accessories. 

I used to wear a tail almost everywhere for about 2 years back in college.  It was awesome.  I got tons of compliments and positive comments from people and I got a lot of people to smile and laugh a little.  Whether they were laughing with me or at me I don't care.  I am just glad by doing a silly thing like that I got to make peoples days a little bit better and brighter.

I'd probably wear one in public, at a con. Then again, people are assholes nowadays. They'd just try to grab it and yank it off

This is exactly what happened to me. Old lady yanked it off while I was walking through the crowd. I think she meant to be playful but damn, other people's personal space shouldn't be invaded like that.

Edited by MissFleece
  • Like 1

The only thing bright and colorful about me are my dark blue shoes. No tails. :V

In all seriousness, tails are kind a thing that you stop doing in high school. I never wore one, because I didn't want to be the ostracised creep. Nowadays, I want to be a part of thr public, not a weirdo treated like a spectacle. "Why is that person wearing a tail? Don't talk to him, Timmy, he's not right in the head." If it's some place like burning man, then, well, you'd fit right in. At the mall? You're being creepy.

Edited by Calemeyr

I just remembered something from years ago.

I and my mom sat in some local cafe when two guys, each wearing a tail, went past us.
Which was just my opportunity to see how she would react on something like that... so i made her take notice.
This was the one and only time i heard her say "lol".
But it sounded like she meant to say "what kind of failed abortion" is that?"

Personally, while liking the "fluff factor", i think it's a little awkward.

I was down on the whole concept for the longest time, but after attending FE2015 and AC2015, I'm coming around to the idea of wearing a tail at Cons or for Cosplay.  The problem I have, is that the natural otter tail (rudderbutts FTW!) doesn't really adapt itself for human wear.   And most of the rudder tails I've seen are rather non-descript (even from the best suit makers) and hard to identify as an otter tail.  Compared to, say a fox tail, snow leopard tail etc.

Still, I'm in the market for one for FE2016 and AC2016, if I can find a convincing tail.  Ideally one with magnetic attachments instead of belt loops.

I mean, I wouldn't wear one if it weren't at a con/furry meetup, or at an event where everyone's dressing weird anyway (like a festival at night.)

But if you're willing to deal with the stares and not get butthurt when someone calls you a freak, meh, go ahead. I find smaller tails less obtrusive and strange in public but if you're the kind of person who's gonna wear a tail in public you probably shouldn't care what I think anyway.

I'd wear one every day if it didn't ruin my career and reputation. Nobody understands that.  I applaud your courage.  

When I worked in the C-suite at the teleco, I kept my hobbies pretty much to myself, work was all about the work.  But now that I'm working in a smaller IT start up, the team is a lot more accepting of different hobbies.  Mind you, its an IT development shop, not manufacturing or shop floor, so there's a pretty high geek/nerd factor already.  We have guys that RPG, game, table top, LARP, RenFair etc.   I wouldn't wear it daily, but some days, a tail would fit right in around here.

Yarra, you work for a smaller firm, no? All things considered, small shops seem more friendly than fortune 500s. 

I've never really gotten the appeal of wearing a tail UNTIL I saw these cool dinosaur tails at AC, and liked the feel when I tried one out. May buy one next year! I'm thinking just having something to swing back and forth would feel fun and nice, especially while dancing.

Most of the tails I've tried out of curiosity have either felt annoyingly bulky or pointlessly light, and I don't feel the need to just wear a tail as an expressive accessory if the actual experience won't be fun.

I consider wearing unfunctional pieces of attire unnecessary. I don't wear them and I'm against it, whether it's a tail, jewelry, piercings or a scarf in the summer. 

But I do respect cultural things in their natural places. Like burquas in the middle east.

So furry accessories for the furry cons.

I wore a raccoon tail long before I knew it was a furry thing to do. It was sort of a fad in my school after Super Mario brothers 3 came out. For those unfamiliar with the game, Mario could become Raccoon Mario and flop his raccoon tail to fly or kill enemies on screen.

I still have the tail, but I do not wear it anymore. I have a fox tail as well. This also goes with Renaissance stuff. In the Renaissance to display a tail was telling others you were available. So wearing it next to your sporran (like a purse because no one had pockets) was telling the others, if you want to get with me, talk to me about it. The more tails, the more you were willing to get with someone.

At a pretty big Renaissance festival (the largest in Texas, TRF) there has been an uptick of furries coming out and an uptick in furry artisans who sell their tails and ears in several booths around. It is not uncommon to see someone who may or may not be a furry buy a tail and pair of ears.

Outside of the Renaissance festival setting, I no longer wear my tails. I haven't worn them to a furmeet or convention since about 2008 or so either.

Edited by Skylar Husky

First post on this new forum! Still no profile pic.

Personally, I don't have problems with people wearing tails: to each their own, right? I do, however, think that they should take reasonably good care of them, try to remove dirt and crap when needed, and occasionally brush them out. I've seen some pretty bad stuff, tailwise (favorite memory: some teen with a severely understuffed and really grungy gray tail that was just disgusting). I've also seen some people rock their tails though, and if you want to wear a tail, I ain't gon' stop you.

When I worked in the C-suite at the teleco, I kept my hobbies pretty much to myself, work was all about the work.  But now that I'm working in a smaller IT start up, the team is a lot more accepting of different hobbies.  Mind you, its an IT development shop, not manufacturing or shop floor, so there's a pretty high geek/nerd factor already.  We have guys that RPG, game, table top, LARP, RenFair etc.   I wouldn't wear it daily, but some days, a tail would fit right in around here.

Yarra, you work for a smaller firm, no? All things considered, small shops seem more friendly than fortune 500s. 

I totally hear what you're saying but no, unfortunately, I don't.  There might be a few people who are cool with it but there's really no way I could get away with it without people wondering if I had some sort of problem.  There'd be lots of WTF, plus I'm on teh east coast which is more (in the most polite way) "buttoned up" than the west.   I would love to find a place that does. I happy to be good with finance so I handle banking and credit  for large corporates.  Totally NOT the place where you'd find acceptance!  Actually, most people are incredibly square or just fun to party with.  There's not much of a uniqueness or freak factor. I don't know how I got to where I am.  It reminds me of Once in a LIfetime by the Talking Heads.  

I wore one of those tanned fox tails during my senior year of high school and a few years afterwards and, admittedly, really got no flack for it from people. I tended to wear one for awhile after that every now and again, like if I was going to the zoo, or some kind of event that it was somewhat acceptable at. Nowadays, I'll wear one to a furmeet if I remember to grab one before leaving the house. I DO like wearing tails, they're super cute, but doing so isn't always at the front of my mind for events and stuff.